 Pie-Roe World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Feb 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:30 - 25 Jun 2008 Post subject: Few questions on safety vs legality |
 |
|
Hi all, since the loss of my MZ (too slow and not really my cup of tea, sold it to a friend a fortnight after buying) I've been looking at damaged 400-1200s to buy as a project to slowly build up and possibly 'streetfighter' (only in the way that I want it nekkid and a solo subframe)
I have come across a fair few, but I have some queries.
I know how the CAT system works, and which ones you can buy (C+D IIRC) so thats not a problem, however.
1) if a frame is cracked is it illegal? Secondly if it isn't illegal then is it safe, 1/3 of the width?
2) bent forks, Obviously they can't be rebent, but are a lot of them interchangeable or is it only a select few?
3) Swingarm cracks? Full replacement?
4) twisted yokes? Will have affected the frame?
5) I've found a couple of bikes stolen recovery, which are pretty cheap, no loom at all. Can you make a loom out of several other looms?
Cheers for any replies
Pyro ____________________ Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX |
|
 Pete. Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:38 - 25 Jun 2008 Post subject: Re: Few questions on safety vs legality |
 |
|
| pyroforlife wrote: | Hi all, since the loss of my MZ (too slow and not really my cup of tea, sold it to a friend a fortnight after buying) I've been looking at damaged 400-1200s to buy as a project to slowly build up and possibly 'streetfighter' (only in the way that I want it nekkid and a solo subframe)
I have come across a fair few, but I have some queries.
I know how the CAT system works, and which ones you can buy (C+D IIRC) so thats not a problem, however.
1) if a frame is cracked is it illegal? Secondly if it isn't illegal then is it safe, 1/3 of the width?
Most likely illegal to use under construction & use regs. Definately stupid to ride with a fractured frame. Not safe at all.
2) bent forks, Obviously they can't be rebent, but are a lot of them interchangeable or is it only a select few?
You can straighten fork stanchions or just buy new ones. Fitting good used ones is preferred.
3) Swingarm cracks? Full replacement?
You can weld most things that are cracked, swingarms included. Have to be assessed on a 'per-case' basis.
4) twisted yokes? Will have affected the frame?
If the forks are just twisted out of line then you should loosen everything and pull them back straight. Better yet pull the front end off and inspect it all then it will re-build straight if the forks aren't bent.
5) I've found a couple of bikes stolen recovery, which are pretty cheap, no loom at all. Can you make a loom out of several other looms?
Not somethng I would reccomend attempting. Buy a loom from a smashed bike is the best idea.
Cheers for any replies
Pyro |
____________________ a.k.a 'Geri'
132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good  |
|
 Robby Dirty Old Man

Joined: 16 May 2002 Karma :   
|
|
 Fagin Derestricted Danger
Joined: 23 Jun 2008 Karma :   
|
|