Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Visor Inserts?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

nasty
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:34 - 12 Sep 2008    Post subject: Visor Inserts? Reply with quote

Hi,

Not sure if I can get a replacement visor for my lid, it's not an expensive one or one of the more popular makes, Duchinni.
It was an affordable lid at the time when I also had to buy the rest of my gear.
Now I've not had any problems with it until the rain has come, it fogs up fairly quickly when not moving - not good if I want to see where I'm going Laughing so I had a look around tinternet to see if there were any replacement/aftermarket visors that would fit with anti-fog capability but can't seem to find any.
Came across a few different visor inserts though, what are they like? Has anyone used these before? Does anyone know what the Progrip light sensitive one are like?
Can't really afford a new lid but have seen some that I like so will probably see if I can get the wife to get me one for xmas Very Happy but in the mean time I think the best way to go would be with a visor insert.

Thanks
____________________
ZX6R F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 12 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinlock.

Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nasty
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:46 - 12 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Pinlock.

Thumbs Up


Duchinni isn't listed on the Pinlock site Sad
____________________
ZX6R F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:14 - 12 Sep 2008    Post subject: Re: Visor Inserts? Reply with quote

nasty wrote:
Hi,

Not sure if I can get a replacement visor for my lid, it's not an expensive one or one of the more popular makes, Duchinni.
It was an affordable lid at the time when I also had to buy the rest of my gear.
Now I've not had any problems with it until the rain has come, it fogs up fairly quickly when not moving - not good if I want to see where I'm going Laughing so I had a look around tinternet to see if there were any replacement/aftermarket visors that would fit with anti-fog capability but can't seem to find any.
Came across a few different visor inserts though, what are they like? Has anyone used these before? Does anyone know what the Progrip light sensitive one are like?
Can't really afford a new lid but have seen some that I like so will probably see if I can get the wife to get me one for xmas Very Happy but in the mean time I think the best way to go would be with a visor insert.

Thanks


no idea about an insert for your bike, but have you heard of a hawaain stick? its a red stick that is kinda waxey. you rub and then shine it on your visor. it lasts about 2 or 3 days and does work good for misting. it's also anti glare apparently.
____________________
Hit the G spot. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:21 - 12 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have fitted a pinlock to almost every make.
All it requires is two holes drilled from the template and your done.
Ive known one helmet that was really curved - that took a while to get a decent fit - But we got there in the end.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nasty
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:44 - 12 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise wrote:
We have fitted a pinlock to almost every make.
All it requires is two holes drilled from the template and your done.
Ive known one helmet that was really curved - that took a while to get a decent fit - But we got there in the end.


I take it the holes are drilled into the existing visor then the pins inserted then the insert attached to the pins? How hard can that be Laughing I bet ya I could fuck that up!
____________________
ZX6R F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:24 - 13 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure is Thumbs Up I dont do them, Dan will - because I would more then likly crack the visor - I think He has ruined 2 in the past but knows how to do it fully.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nasty
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:58 - 14 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise wrote:
Sure is Thumbs Up I dont do them, Dan will - because I would more then likly crack the visor - I think He has ruined 2 in the past but knows how to do it fully.


I've contacted the store I got the lid from to see if they can source replacement visors as only trade can contact manufacturer apparently Rolling Eyes They're going to see if the manufacturer offers any kind of upgrades and if not I'll probably buy a second visor if they sell them.
I will probably then have a go with fitting a Pinlock to one of the visors Sick
____________________
ZX6R F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:41 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I will probably then have a go with fitting a Pinlock to one of the visors


You should get a template with the pinlock - if not find one, but dont attempt to have a go without one - and go slow Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nasty
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:15 - 16 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of changed my mind on the pinlock for now (when I get a new lid I'll get a pinlock ready one), I've just bought a Fog City insert, thought in my wisdom I'd get a light reactive insert as I've been caught by the low sun a few times and it's not too easy to see.
Checked the instructions and all seemed fine apart from it says not suitable for night time use Sad , is this really a problem or not? What's the point in having a permanently fixed insert if you can't use it at night? Crazy!
____________________
ZX6R F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:51 - 16 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a dark smoke insert is not too bad in built up areas with good street lights or plenty of cats eyes, poor lighting or bad weather makes it not unpleasant but not that enjoyable.

I've taken my tinted pinlock out for the clear one now as my shifts are 0700-2100.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ajb
Crazy Courier



Joined: 14 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:56 - 16 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

my visor fogs up in the rain at standstill, but i just open it up one notch... then shut it at speed again Thumbs Up
____________________
CBR125R '05 > CB500 '00 > CBR600F '99
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

nasty
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:00 - 16 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fog City I got is clear but tints in the sunlight (Hyper Optiks) so I'm ot sure why you shouldn't use it at night???????? I got it cheaper than the RRP that they go for on the net so couldn't really pass it up and it was way cheaper than a new lid with bells and whistles on - you know what I mean.........intergrated sun visor and anti-fog shield etc. Well it's stuck on now so I guess I'll soon find out the crack with it Smile
____________________
ZX6R F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rowey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:36 - 16 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep me updated, wouldn't mind seeing how these fair
____________________
ZX6R C6F.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nasty
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:28 - 17 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowey wrote:
Keep me updated, wouldn't mind seeing how these fair


Will do Thumbs Up
____________________
ZX6R F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Disapproving Brit
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:40 - 12 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumping in late I know, but I also have a duchinni. I bought some tinted inserts - about a fiver for a pack of two. They seem to work well enough, and have the advantage that you can pop both in for extra darkness.

Downside is, they seem to have scratched very quickly. I think I need a bit of soft fabric to carry my next set in. Normally when I need to take them out, I just pop my jacket off and stick them in with my back armour, along with the A-Z Smile
____________________
Current Bikes: 1983 Honda VF400FD / 2003 Honda VT750 Shadow
Bike Test Passed 18/03/09, Car Test Passed 14/05/13
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nasty
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:55 - 12 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

timbstoke wrote:
Jumping in late I know, but I also have a duchinni. I bought some tinted inserts - about a fiver for a pack of two. They seem to work well enough, and have the advantage that you can pop both in for extra darkness.

Downside is, they seem to have scratched very quickly. I think I need a bit of soft fabric to carry my next set in. Normally when I need to take them out, I just pop my jacket off and stick them in with my back armour, along with the A-Z Smile


I'd thought about that but just didn't want the hassle of having to keep changing visors or inserts which is why I went for the Fog City, After having it on my visor for a little while now I'm happy with the results - it is TOTALLY fog free which is great and when the light brightens the visor turns a nice colour blue and makes it a lot easier to see, it would be better if it went a bit darker but it does what it says on the packet Smile
____________________
ZX6R F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 356 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.79 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 94.76 Kb