Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Learning foreign languages

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:43 - 19 Nov 2008    Post subject: Learning foreign languages Reply with quote

I did French at school like everybody else, and on a recent trip realised that while I remember a bit, I'd struggle to order dinner, let alone have a conversation with anyone.

Has anyone got any recommendations of good ways to learn basic conversational languages? There's a lot of 'teach yourself' courses out there, anyone tried them? I always had success with computer-based stuff for just learning words but it doesn't mean I can string a sentence together.

To make life harder, I'm kinda looking to be able to handle the very basics in French, Spanish and German with about 18 months to learn.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:52 - 19 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nintendo DS has a few language games that help you learn a language, could be worth a shot. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:11 - 19 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find someone who speaks these languages, and visit them and ask them to do nothing but speak in one of them, ask you questions etc.

Get them to engage in conversation, and write down key phrases, write down the true sentence, and write next to it how it's said phonetically.
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:43 - 19 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to find that watching tv programmes in Italian kept my level of Italian reasonably non-rusty (providing it wasnt just hysterical gameshows) - I used to try to listen to the news, which makes it easier to pick up what they are saying, as often its stuff that is global so you know some of the words already.

I used to occasionally pick up a copy of Corriere Della Sera to try and improve my Italian reading as well.

Other thing to do is spend time where native speakers hang out, I suppose it might be easier to do this right in the middle of London, but it is one way of picking bits of odd language. I used to sit outside the Italian Embassy and listen to people talking, or hang out in the Italian Tourist Office in my lunch hour, and just stand and read brochures whilst the office staff were on the phone jabbering away Laughing interesting what you learn when you're learning a new language Laughing
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:44 - 19 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which language would you like to learn? The key is to immerse yourself in the language and speak it as much as you can. Learning as they teach you in school doesn't work as well as actually just doing it IMO.

I go to Belgium a lot and I've picked up more french just being there for a few weeks than I ever did at school. And the majority of the people I speak to actually speak dutch!

Although, Dutch is quite hard and I didn't pick very much of that up!

I've also been going to Germany, and I did more German at school than I did french, and I can pretty much hold my own in conversation now. And most people there speak to me in English! Laughing
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:40 - 19 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would heartily recommend an extended holiday in the country which speaks the language you wish to learn. Personally, I learnt far more Russian (and useful Russian, none of this "I like to play hockey and my dad is an engineer... ah, look it's raining" bollocks) staying over there than I did in five years' of lessons.

Kind of rules out Latin though Thinking
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:45 - 19 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just speak in English, but at twice the volume. Foreigners are known to understand this, although they may pretend not to.

DOUBLE EGG AND CHIPS!!!
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:45 - 19 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Just speak in English, but at twice the volume. Foreigners are known to understand this, although they may pretend not to.

DOUBLE EGG AND CHIPS!!!


You forgot to mention adding the -o at the end of all possible words.
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:30 - 20 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I used to find that watching tv programmes in Italian kept my level of Italian reasonably non-rusty


Watching adverts whilst holidaying in Italy and noting down the product and how the word sounded, and also going around the shops and supermarkets - helped me and a mate compile a few words, also with my superb drawing skills, we were able to get by in a few restaurants!!! Thumbs Up

Because where we stayed, barely anyone spoke English, which I actually preferred, because it felt more like a foreign holiday. Cool
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

steppen22
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:33 - 20 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I speak a little French, Spanish and Italian. I intend to teach myself Russian next year.

I'd recommend Michel Thomas, actually (check mininova.com for downloads). He's one of the best tutors and if you follow his methods you should be speaking basic SENTENCES within weeks.

Don't think, though, that you can learn a language without hard work - don't waste your time with "learn French while you drive - without any effort at all!" cds. Don't think that you can learn a language during the commercial break of your fav tv show. You can't.

The secret, really, to learning any language is TO LEARN THE FUCKING GRAMMAR. Why? Becuase knowing the grammar enables you to make an educated guess at the words you need. The active vocabulary for european languages is very small - about 600 words. Think about that. Day in, day out, for your entire life, you've been only using about 600 English words for all of your needs. Now if you learn say, 600 French words - and YOU KNOW HOW TO PUT THESE IN GRAMMATICAL CONTEXT - you'll be able communicate to quite a high standard. But if you know 10,000 French words, but have no understanding of grammar, you'll be the equivelent of a speaking clock.

The good thing to bear in mind is YOU ALREADY KNOW 100's of Spanish, German, etc words. How come? 'Cos European languages have the same roots - all you need to know is the different pronunciations.
____________________
no regrets, no retreat, no apology.
I've made mistakes in the past, and I apologise for FUCK ALL.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:54 - 20 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good post from Tim Ferris, author of "The 4 hour work week" :-

https://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2007/11/07/how-to-learn-but-not-master-any-language-in-1-hour-plus-a-favor/
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Moonie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:42 - 20 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandad was a translator for the army for years, he speaks all sorts, and he said the reason I wasn't learning as fast as I should have been at school is that I only spent 3 hours a week max in Spanish lessons. I always wanted to learn Russian for some reason, I started learning a couple of weeks ago, and because I'm spending at least an hour a day on it I'm picking it up so much faster than I did anything at school.

Obviously you might not have time for that, but make it as regular as you can.

Also, as soon as you can do a fair bit (sounds like you already can) try to think of absolutely everything you do in french, it just helps you form sentences and remember vocabulary more readily.
____________________
Don't practice it until you get it right, practice it until you don't get it wrong.
Presenting the one and only Chinkmobile Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

petko17
Nova Slayer



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:15 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I speak Slovakian ( my first language), Czech ( bit similar to Slovak), Polish, Russian, Spanish and English.
I can say english is the easiest one, because you can find it everywhere. Im rubbish at grammer but i can understand what poeple saying and if i dont want to i can make an excause that i dont understand, lot of times it helpt me from troubles Smile An usually people understand me....not always Wink
With english and spanish the best is playing games, watching movies, even if yo dont understand the word, still read the books etc, try to learn in the same time from dictionary, i just open dictionary and i will learn the whole page, all the words etc. If you will have an idea that some words exist and then you will find it in your book ( where are you learning from) it will be much easier to remember. I also speak german but not very well.
____________________
<<<PIGGER)) >>>
<<<SUZUKI GSX-R 600 K4>>>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:56 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Re: Learning foreign languages Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:

To make life harder, I'm kinda looking to be able to handle the very basics in French, Spanish and German with about 18 months to learn.


Sarah speaks pretty good French and German, and I speak reasonable German, so we can teach you the basics. Spanish is pretty easy too.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

baby_gal
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 21 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:13 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michel Thomas is pretty good, I have the Spanish one and on amazon theres people selling Spanish, Italian, French and German Foundation courses for less than half the retail price.

He teaches you the grammar of how words are made so even if you dont know the word you can make a fairly accurate guess at it. You do have to dedicate some time to it though and give it your concentration otherwise like all other language courses it just won't work.
____________________
Miss Blackwolf
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:26 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

petko17 wrote:
i just open dictionary and i will learn the whole page, all the words etc.


I like to do that dictionary thing (even with English Laughing )

Its interesting to see what crops up in dictionaries of other languages
Cool Thumbs Up
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:17 - 22 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
You forgot to mention adding the -o at the end of all possible words.


This only works in some countries. Add "ski" for countries where they write Rs backwards, "su" for orientals and prefix every other word with "al" and add "aba" to the others for arabics.
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:27 - 22 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

steppen22 wrote:
I'd recommend Michel Thomas, actually (check mininova.com for downloads). He's one of the best tutors and if you follow his methods you should be speaking basic SENTENCES within weeks.


I agree with the above.

I had his tapes for my Higher French, he uses a completely different approach to learning a language and it is very effective indeed.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:06 - 23 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the last year I have been learning German. I had no previous experience as did not do it at school. I have been learning via college one evening per week, Michele Thomas CD's and lots of practice (I work for a German company so practice my written skills daily, and get to go to Germany regulary).

I can HIGHLY recommend Michele Thomas as others have, he helps you with sentence structure and I've learnt a great deal from him. It's more than just normal learning common phrases, he actually teaches you how to think, so you can put basic sentences together.

I have found the hardest thing actually having the confidence to speak German when I'm over there. I enjoy writing it and learning it, but when faced with a situation I shit myself. I can tell people that I only speak a little German and to speak slowly, but if you don't know the words they are saying to you, you're pretty stuck. The best conversations I've had have been with non-english speaking people, so you have to muddle your way through. There's no cheating!

I intend to be fluent in 5 years, but it's much, much harder than I realised!!

Wo ein Will ist, ist auch ein Weg!

Good luck!!

PS. Also something which is really helpful, is start watching foreign DVDs with subtitles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 322 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.58 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 109.09 Kb