Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Head torches

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

alun111
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:58 - 06 Dec 2008    Post subject: Head torches Reply with quote

Hi, I was thinking about putting a head torch on my christmas list! (Really struggling to think of things I want)

I thought it would be ideal in those situations on a dark road broken down, or just at night in the garage when working on the bike.

I would want it to be:

Arrow Small and (not too important) lightweight.
Arrow Have a good battery.
Arrow Most importantly be BRIGHT.

Does anyone have one they'd like to recommend? I'm looking for people's opinion on one's they've used themselves.

Cheers people.
____________________
Summer: '00 Honda CB600F Hornet
Winter: '93 Suzuki GSF 400 Bandit VP Variable Valve
Past Bikes: Lifan LF100-5 Lifan LF125-A Honda C70
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

plugger147
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:25 - 06 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I borrowed a Petzl head torch of one of the neighbours in a light night fix it situation, was a cracking piece of kit. Don't know the model number but it cost him £45. Shocked
____________________
Tristan the wrote: just whipped off my trousers to find a big bruise on my arse, caused by matt rear ending me...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ajb
Crazy Courier



Joined: 14 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:34 - 06 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petzl are king when it comes to headtorches.

I have a Petzl Tikka, it's powered by 3x AAAs and has 3 LEDs which are a blue/white colour. I don't know how much it costs but I would estimate £25, it is middle of the range.

It's fantastic for trying to find things in a dark shed/tent/garage.

It is bright and has a nice even area of focus of intensity, not like a bulb one where the intensity is varied.

I would suggest taking a look at their website and seeing what's available then looking at prices to see what best suits you. Can;t go wrong with any of the Petzl's though Thumbs Up
____________________
CBR125R '05 > CB500 '00 > CBR600F '99
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:39 - 06 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already have a AA Maglite, then maybe this

https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=ML529

Millets or Field and Trek have plenty to choose from, even some wind up ones so no batteries.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

divuk83
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:58 - 06 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Petzl Tikka XP, useful for working on the bike, working on computers, camping etc. Very bright and the batteries last ages.

Can get them cheap from F&T plus there are usually good discount codes for the online shop.

https://www.vouchercodes.com/vouchers/fieldandtrek.htm

Dave
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser



Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:03 - 07 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpkit used to do an LED one for a fiver, I have one and it's fine for light use, not as good as a Petzel (sp) but far cheaper.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:11 - 07 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Petzel Tikka Thumbs Up

There are brighter ones, there are ones with more functions but it is compact, well made and efficient on batteries. It will also survive being dunked in water.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Stoo
PoshBoy



Joined: 11 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:04 - 07 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought 2 from the local cash and carry for £2.50 each, not fancy but excellent. Left it on overnight last week by mistake and it still works!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

alun111
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:31 - 07 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your replies... I was thinking about the Petzl E-Lite. Has anyone got one of these or heard anything good? Any thoughts?

Cheers once again Very Happy
____________________
Summer: '00 Honda CB600F Hornet
Winter: '93 Suzuki GSF 400 Bandit VP Variable Valve
Past Bikes: Lifan LF100-5 Lifan LF125-A Honda C70
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Serendipity
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:48 - 07 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another vote for genuine Petzl head torches. However I bought a Zipka Plus. It’s basically exactly the same as the Tikka Plus except that it has a retractable strap. I find this is more compact and easier to pull out of a bag. The retractable strap is just a spring loaded wire, but it sits very securely and it’s never slipped or fallen off despite being used for some fairly vigorous activities.

It gets used for crawling around behind dark server racks, packing\unpacking the boot of the car when you’ve covered the courtesy light, going camping, once for a breakdown and very occasionally for climbing or hiking at night.
____________________
2007 CBF1000 & 2016 CBF1000F - Commuter heaven | 1994 CBR600FR - Awaiting defibrillation
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:58 - 07 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tikka / Zipka - That one you've linked to is just making a very good design to complex.
____________________
"because one stroke isnt enough and four strokes waste two"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:19 - 07 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe Petzl have moved on to these more complicated designs. I've got one similar to this: Petzl Head Torch on eBay, I can't remember the model name/number but I bought it about 15 years ago for £35 and it's still going strong. I upgraded the bulb with a halogen one, and because the batteries can be difficult to source (miles from anywhere civilised) I also bought the 3xAA adaptor.

They're excellent, compact, reliable, robust, usable, and with a halogen bulb incredibly powerful. Thumbs Up

EDIT: As an aside I'd never part with mine, so it amazes me that so many are for sale second-hand on eBay
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

multijoy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:05 - 07 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are great!
Cheap but solid.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

alun111
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:23 - 07 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

multijoy wrote:
These are great!
Cheap but solid.


Thanks, but battery life doesn't look too outstanding on that... I think I prefer the concept of the petzl ones.

I've pretty much decided to go with petzl... but really can't decide which one to go with. There's so many and a lot look similar... but no idea which ones are better..

Zipka
Tikkina
Tikka XP
Tikka
Tikka plus
Myo xp
blah
blah
blah

you get my point. If anyone has any more opinions please do add your comments, thanks!
____________________
Summer: '00 Honda CB600F Hornet
Winter: '93 Suzuki GSF 400 Bandit VP Variable Valve
Past Bikes: Lifan LF100-5 Lifan LF125-A Honda C70
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.21 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 82.52 Kb