|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Cigaro |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Cigaro World Chat Champion
Joined: 28 Mar 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:51 - 08 Dec 2008 Post subject: Ice skating |
 |
|
Since getting together with my girlfriend we have been to see a few ice hockey matches, she's followed a team for the last 10 years or so.
I wouldn't mind having a go at it myself - been told to get myself down to do some training on Friday nights, problem is that I can't skate
Does anyone here play, or just skate? The last time I tried to skate was years ago, before I started riding bikes, so I had no balance... but I'm tempted to try again now.
Any advice for people starting out with skating? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| oldpink |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 oldpink World Chat Champion

Joined: 02 Aug 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ColdInsomnia |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ColdInsomnia World Chat Champion

Joined: 30 Jun 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:38 - 08 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I ice skate a lot. I haven't been in some time because the Ice Rink in Cardiff was closed down and moved to the bay... a lot harder to get to now but hey.
As said before, the most important thing by far you'll want if you want to take ice skating seriously is a decent pair of ice skates. You can pick up a good enough pair for a starter from around £60. My first pair of skates were CCM's, and they lasted me a good couple years
You'll also want to make sure your skates are actually sharpened pretty regularly. For the love of God DON'T try to sharpen them yourself. Take them into a skate shop (such as where you bought your skates) or sometimes they'll do it in the ice rink, usually doesn't cost more than £2 and takes a few minutes.
As for skating itself... well... practise It's similar to, but very different from roller skating. Hard to explain. I also find it far more rewarding and enthralling than roller skating since Ice is a beautiful thing and you can bend a lot of rules to your liking.
Also, once you get the knack of spraying from your skates, you'll never want to stop showering fellow skaters in waves of ice  ____________________ Yamaha YB100 | Yamaha TZR125 | Yamaha XJ600S | Suzuki GSF600
"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."
John Lennon |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Phoenix |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Phoenix Twisted Firestarter

Joined: 01 Aug 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SoND |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SoND World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| WildGoose |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 WildGoose White Van Man

Joined: 21 Mar 2002 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:48 - 09 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've been ice skating only once, it was good fun, until I attempted to leave the ice towards the end, I fell over about 6 feet from the exit gate and smashed my face on the floor, 2 or 3 stitches above the eye I seem to remember and a few wasted hours in A+E on saturday night. The ice blood splatter was vaguely impressive.
I am perhaps not a natural ice skater It was fun before that though I'm surprisingly not in a hurry to go again. ____________________ So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| firefox |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 firefox World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Oct 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Phoenix |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Phoenix Twisted Firestarter

Joined: 01 Aug 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|