Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Dog medication question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:08 - 02 Jan 2009    Post subject: Dog medication question Reply with quote

Ok can you give a dog paracetamol?

Before you ask he has messed up hips and seems to be worse behaved when he has no pain killers and it cost £30 for his pain killers from the vet and I cant afford them.

he knocked one hip out we thought it was just a sprain but vet said it was to late to fix. Then he goes and does another one before xmas so they are sticking up at the back. He thinks he is a horse when running about and falls everywhere making it worse.

Someone said to me that the pain killers the vet gave me where just normal paracetamol anyway. I dont like the idea of doing it but I think he is in pain here. he has to be xrayed when getting neutred which we are booking him for very soon.

Or is there anywhere online I can get these pain killers for dogs?

he is also a lunitic and has real bad bahvior problems but seems to be a bit more relaxed with a pain killer in him.
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 02 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldn't as paracetamol can do terrible things to the liver in humans if overdosed and I'm not sure I'd know what dosage to give the dog given metabolism etc. not just a question of weighing him.

My old dog is on Previcox for his dodgy back legs and I understand that you can buy these on online but I'm sure you need a Vet prescription as the law has changed (again?)

HTH
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:58 - 02 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask Stinkwheel he's a vet.

Saying that, when my dog stood on a nail the other week, I simply cleaned it all up, then cleaned it out with detol, then applied Germaline for a day or 2 and he was fine.

He is in Doggy Bupa, but you can't claim anything below £70.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.


Last edited by kawakid on 00:23 - 03 Jan 2009; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:09 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a cut its al internal. he is a german shepherd and prone to hhip problems only he has started this very young. I dont like the idea of giving him the normal stuff I just dont like seeing him suffer. i wouldnt even take a paracetamol as they mke me sick. I must check what he is on as I did see a site once you could get meds off but I am not sure if they where complementary or proper ones.

My vet is a bit pricey and I owe her for the last batch I got. Confused Only get 10 days worth off her.

Any surgestions on what to do with the back legs? I dont think there is anything that can be done though Crying or Very sad
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:15 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just googled hip dysplasia in dogs and this site is UK based - may be of interest?

https://www.synflexforpets.co.uk/
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:42 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonka wrote:
I just googled hip dysplasia in dogs and this site is UK based - may be of interest?

https://www.synflexforpets.co.uk/


Thanks for that,I will look into it. I had something similar for a while called stress for the dogs I wonder is it a similar thing. I will look into this though. Could help with his behavior problem. He is actually really scared of me and I am always nice to him. I am wondering can he sence I am pregnant and is not liking me at all for it.
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:39 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paracetamol is toxic for dogs, contact the vets for the proper stuff it's not worth the risk.
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't chance paracetamol, especially if expensive vets bills are not what you can afford. Not worth the risk. Despite how laid back most people are about paracetamol (and for good reason, it does bugger all useful) its pretty potent stuff in certain ways.

We sell 'Cortaflex' at work, its extremely popular with horse and dog owners for maintaining good joints, and flexability.

I can't testify to its success, it might be a big nonsense. But might be worth looking into, it is growing in popularity. Not the cheapest thing though.

German sheperds are very territorial, and over protective of family and people they know. So pregnancy may be an interesting time for them. You can never know what they pick up on, will probably be aware something is 'different'.
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:42 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

His behavior has got worse since I got pregnant. He just pees everywhere and panther crawls about the house and wont listen to anyone where as he did before. He isnt going to last long here unfortunatly. I gave him so many chances but he has bit me 3 times in the last few months, pees just when you look at him and pooed in my kitchen on front of my dad. His nerves seem to be bad. We did notice when we took him in his back legs where not that strong, I am sort of putting his bad behavior down to his pain. But I cant have my house covered in pee and pooh when baby comes, I am sure baby will do enough of that for me.

Oh and he peed on my new sofa because when you say no he just pees. Listens to my OH just not to me. My dad wasnt impressed with his dirty tricks two days ago at all. So I am getting it in the ear from everyone about him. I feel sorry for him. Crying or Very sad It breaks my heart when I know he should be somewhere else. He gets loads of attention here but wont get as much when baby is born and I feel it will make him worse as noises scare him. He needs someone that can handle him and give him them classes he needs, we dont have any around, no car and not enough money anyway. ts sad. i dont know how I will give him up but it may be for the best. He is quite stressful on us. he has also tried to eat the cat several timses so I imagine a baby wouldnt be much hassel to him.

Still feel bad for considering getting rid. But what can I do here.
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

shonajoy
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 15 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:45 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

f you can't afford treatment, go to the vet and ask for a PDSA referral- you must get him seen, it's really not fair otherwise.

I work in a vets and seraquin is commonly prescribed as a supplement-it contains glucosamine and chondroitin which help attract water to joints, helping keep them mobile. You can give glucosamine from the health food shop but it's something you need to keep up, every day, or it won't make a difference.

How old is he? That would be another thing to take into account, seriously, see a vet with him-most vets will do a payment plan if you ask the receptionist, the priority is to treat the animal.

Best of luck.
____________________
Shona
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:09 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But what can I do here.


Off with his bollocks ! Razz

Jasper is booked in for bollock-ectomy end of Jan. He is pretty good on the whole, but pretty willful when he wants to be.

And if he is off the lead and sees another dog, he is off, regardless of roads etc. I only trust him in the dark off the lead.

Also still a bit in your face/excited when new people are about.

As much as I dislike the notion of removing his manhood, they aren't humans, and it will improve behaviour/controllability by a long way.

You can't mess about with big dogs, very strong animals.
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:17 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not his medical treatment I can afford to get him pain killers in a day or so just not this weekend. But I wont be able to keep that up. And I know some will say what a bitch I am for not but hey there is a baby coming in here. And another thing his behavior I have asked everywhere about and the vet just said he was a nervous dog and that was it. We have been to her about the peeing problem and seeing about neutering him but apparetly that dosnt really help. he has just peed on my new rug. Confused all I did was go to pet him. I give up going near him now. he used to be afraid of men and not its everyone including me.

He is booked in soon for neutering and an xray at the same time to see the back legs. If he cant behave and I cant afford to treat him he has to go that is not fair on him keeping him I dont tihnk. Someone else could that would have the money and patience.

he is 1 year and 4 months old I got him last jan. he was toilet trained and knows here to do it. He just wont as he is to busy scurring around like someone is trying to kill him when you are nice to him. Even if you ignore him at the cornor of your eye he is peeing and beng nervous.
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:42 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of observations:

1. You have a broken dog. Switch it for one that works.
2. Don't you get generally neuter dogs at around 3-6 months? We always have with cats, I would assume that leaving a dog past 1 year to be neutered won't have as much change on behaviour as getting them done early.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:59 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't you get generally neuter dogs at around 3-6 months? We always have with cats, I would assume that leaving a dog past 1 year to be neutered won't have as much change on behaviour as getting them done early.


Some say that too early can stunt their development. Which is why we left it.

It should have the same effect to the extent that they no longer know what they are. I.e. a boy, so will stop thinking with their cock, and generally be more agreeable to being told what to do, and less of the alpha male behaviour.

Random search.
https://www.petco.com/caresheets/dog/Dog_SpayNeuter.pdf
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:16 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google "Pardale-V" (or look here and click the links on the left) which is an analgesic for dogs. Apparantly it contains Paracetamol (400mg) and Codine (9mg).

Of course, you should ask your vet.
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:33 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason he isnt neutered yet is I thought it would make him worse. Maybe he would see it as a punishment as I havnt a clue what his back ground is and more pain may not have been good. You should see him though how he acts its strange, you be nice to him he is petified and pees himself. Also if he dosnt want to do something like come down for hid dinner he will go for you occassionaly. he dosnt understand niceness at all. He ran away from the sound of my OH chopping an oinion at dinner time. Teddy beas scare the crap out of him. My sister scares him and my dad because they are very tall. Any man comes in and he is peeing behind the sofa.

I was thinking of them phermon plug ins but dont know how effective they are. Maybe he needs some calming drugs? he cant sit down either. Gets up every 5 mins or if someone moves.

he was found on the streets by a dog rescue centre. couldnt tell when we got him he was going to be a looper of a dog.
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Icey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:33 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have given my previous dog paracetamol as it was recommend to do so by a Vet when he was stiff and in pain.
____________________
Mutley - 1988 Austin Mini City - Blog
Suetonius - 1966 Series Land Rover - Blog
Uma J - 1981 Honda 'Naked' Goldwing GL1100 - Blog
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:08 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say against you giving this dog up, as he has previously had a very hard time and been on the streets, BUT in this case I think it's the best option considering all your circumstances Sad
Pets cost a lot of money to keep well as they DO get sick, more so the older they get (the situation I am in now. I have 2 cats, both senior, and a dog almost 9 so senior too. I am at the vet once a month at the LEAST. Not a cheap thing, but very very necessary). I can just about afford it though, pet insurance paid monthly for all and only have to pay the excess. They are like my kids and if anything is wrong they get sorted straight away. If I couldn't give them what they deserved I would let them go to someone who could.

My bil had a GS with hip dysplasia. he was operated on at just gone one yr, and then had problems/was on meds for the rest of his life. Not good financially. My Brother's dog had epilepsy and his meds were £30+ every four weeks, and this was about 10 years ago! (so maybe £60+ now?).

Give him to a place where they won't put him down, somewhere that can assess him and either work through his problems and 'cure him' or put him to sleep. He needs to be given the very best chance in his short life.

Rescue dogs are a risk as anything could have happened in the past, god damn awful things Crying or Very sad Bless him. I hope it all ends out well and with a good outcome Thumbs Up

J x
____________________
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:17 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really am trying everything to keep him. Its not the vets bills and I know you get my situation with a baby on the way. The guilt I feel when I think he has to go is terrible. I dont want to give up on him as I would worry where he is and who has him and how scared he would be. Boyfriend is the same we dont have the heart. I will get him whatever treatment I just hope his nervousness isnt going to turn him into a monster when baby comes as nervous dogs are dangerous dogs.
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:19 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible for a dog to be skitzo?

he has been a happy dog all morning and all over me. Then this afternoon he is crawling around with ears down and no one can go near him . Shocked He seems to be panciing and nothing has changed. Other than me moving on the sofa to get more comfy where he shot up and crawled about and is now behind the sofa again. Confused I am very confused at this behavior. Cant go near him now because he will pee when he is like this.

I have my eye on some calming tabs for him, herbal things. Read some good revews on them. Willing to try them.
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew



Joined: 05 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:39 - 05 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be VERY careful, a lot of people painkillers are VERY toxic to dogs. especially Advil etc..
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:53 - 05 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I've seen you post another thread about doggy issues.

I think it's time to get things into perspective.

You are heavily pregnant with a dog that has behavioural issues. If you cannot devote time/money to finding out the cause now, you certainly wont be able to when the little one comes along.

A sane dog requires a lot of attention. Especially a young one. With a new born in the house can you honestly say you can devote the time and money that the dog deserves?

As heartbreaking as it seems, giving the dog to the RSPCA/PDSA/whoever may be the wisest thing to do. The dog is clearly displaying a lack of discipline and that is a dangerous thing for the size of the breed. He could seriously hurt you or the baby and then how would you feel..?
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:16 - 05 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

LH-ER5 wrote:
I'm sure I've seen you post another thread about doggy issues.

I think it's time to get things into perspective.

You are heavily pregnant with a dog that has behavioural issues. If you cannot devote time/money to finding out the cause now, you certainly wont be able to when the little one comes along.

A sane dog requires a lot of attention. Especially a young one. With a new born in the house can you honestly say you can devote the time and money that the dog deserves?

As heartbreaking as it seems, giving the dog to the RSPCA/PDSA/whoever may be the wisest thing to do. The dog is clearly displaying a lack of discipline and that is a dangerous thing for the size of the breed. He could seriously hurt you or the baby and then how would you feel..?


I know your right its how I feel to. Crying or Very sad I just didnt want to give up on him or have anyone thinking what a c*nt I am for giving up on him. Crying or Very sad One of my mates has given me the giult trip about it already but I dont think she understands as she has no kids and leaves her dog alone all the time. I am getting him neutered anyway and xrayed as thats booked.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

b-f-c
Traffic Copper



Joined: 06 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:51 - 05 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use metacam on our jack russell as it helps alleviate his back condition. (although its primarily an arthritis medicine, he doesnt have arthritis)

As for the skitzo - is it acting like that because of the pain maybe?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:07 - 05 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonfly wrote:


I know your right its how I feel to. Crying or Very sad I just didnt want to give up on him or have anyone thinking what a c*nt I am for giving up on him. Crying or Very sad One of my mates has given me the giult trip about it already but I dont think she understands as she has no kids and leaves her dog alone all the time. I am getting him neutered anyway and xrayed as thats booked.


If you keep the dog and something happens to you/the baby, you'll be seen as more of a cunt than if you took the thing to a rescue centre.

It's not like you're drowning the thing... Get the x-ray and snip done. Then take him to a recoming place. They will understand if he has behavioural problems and you're starting a family. Some dogs just dont fit into the 'family portrait'.

Reminds me of a regular scene at a local woodland coffee shop I sometimes stop off at, if out on the bike. Two completely different dog walkers let their (off the lead) dogs run up to each other and sometimes they start scrapping. The owners look all confused as if just becasue they are both dogs the MUST get along with each other. Some dog owners are thicker than the shit their animal produces!
</rant>

Smile
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 273 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.53 Sec - Server Load: 2.1 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 138.09 Kb