Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Cusses Gorse today (Sunday 4th Jan)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:16 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Cusses Gorse today (Sunday 4th Jan) Reply with quote

As title, went to Gusses Corse MX track today, 'Tom C RX50' from here had PM'd me saying he was going too, so I arranged to meet up with him at the track.

Tom C RX50 went with 3 of his mates and they all seemed friendly/top blokes Thumbs Up

I have just loaded the van and about to set off from the track ... my god I ache all over!! Very Happy ... I'll give more detail of the day and post up some onbord video we took later tonight, after I have had my tea! Cool

If you read this, feel free to start filling in a few blanks in the meantime Tom C RX50 ;0
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:51 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, got there about 1.5hrs before they opened ... talk about keen!! Very Happy

Got the bike out and eventually all signed in/on Smile 'Tom C RX50' was running late and missed the first session, but I made it out and felt my way round.

Next session I followed 'Tom C RX50' to get some 'lines' ... overall he was faster, but slowed up for me every now and then. Didn't help that my front brake master cylinder was loose, so I couldn't use the front brake!! Sad

Next session out I felt a bit better and although 'Tom C RX50' was still faster, he was not running away with it this time!! Smile .. sadly part way through this session, my front sprocket started slipping when I hit the powerband .. basically its had chewed up and most of the teeth were now missing ...

I tightened the chain in an attempt to keep going on the day ...

Next session, I went in front and 'Tom C RX50' followed me ... to my amazement, the sprocket with the tightened chain was largely holding!! Smile

Having a bit more track and bike knowledge now and knowing he was behind, really inspired me to dig in a bit and get going ... felt I was riding pretty well (i.e. my best of the day) .. sadly after about 3 laps 'Tom C RX50' dropped out ... he had evidently run out of fuel!!! ... doh!! Doh!

The last session of the day only a few people showed for, but I was determined to go out!! Smile

Overall I am starting to get to grips with MX now ... I am far off from the expert group yet and its very different to what I have done before ... its taking a bit of brain re-programming ... like I have to stop myself 'getting off the bike' roadbike-style*!! Very Happy


*on MX you push the bike down into a turn, not you clamber off it like on the road/track. If you try and 'get off' the bike, the bike slides/tucks!! Shocked

p.s. vid of today's fun is uploading as we speak Wink
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:39 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised ... the vid ...

enjoy ...

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hzAvO244og0&fmt=18
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:02 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you had fun, I bet you never noticed the cold weather?
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Carl Howell
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 27 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:28 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great fun, taking off a bit there as well, well done mate. I'd love to do it but need a van or something.
____________________
Owned: 2002 Gilera DNA 50, Yamaha DT125R

Own: Yamaha FZX250 Zeal (FZR250 engine as a similar shape to a Hornet)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:46 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a pretty decent MX track TBH! Where abouts is it located?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tom C RX50
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 30 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:50 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

was a good day mate, if only my hands didnt keep clamping up i might of had a bit more pace, oh well, its the cold i spose and not riding for 14 weeks due to breaking my wrist.

When i ran out of fuel my mate freddy lent me his suzuki 250 and man how much easier was that than my 2 stroke!! could really ease on the power and get on it quicker without the worry of a sudden kick, going to popes to see if i can trade mine in for a 250 4stroke and transfer the finance.

Carl, i dont have a van either but once you get to know a few people lifts are soon sorted out for most, we had 3 bikes in my mates toyota d4d van today and it isnt exactly big!!

look forward to riding again soon, tom
____________________
**FOR SALE** Aprilia RX50, full system gianelli exhaust, 70cc MK big bore, MK pro race filter, 20mm Dellorto carb, aftermarket sticker set, small plate, carbon look indicators, new rear tyre, years tax and mot, new chain and sprockets, very fast bike. 1200 ono **FOR SALE**
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:06 - 05 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we were getting air Cool ... not as much as the 'fast' guys mind ... one guy there (#77) was fecking mental!! Shocked Its good you can see the other bikes I/we are riding with/around and seeing the air they are getting as you can't really get the impression of the 'air' with the rider cam.

I don't have any frame of reference, but it is supposed to be one of the better tracks in the country ... particularly in the south ... hence why I selected to go there! Smile Cusses Gorse is just north of Salisbury.

If you google maps cusses gorse there are a few entrys under it!! Smile

As for getting a 4-stroke, it has to be the logical choice as the 2strokes are so peeky it is hard to ride them unless you are fully committed, when learning it just zaps confidence and lowers laptimes (having to ride around avoiding the powerband in places means they are really struggle!!).

I'll stick with my YZ125 for now as I have only just got it and I feel the spirit of MX is 2-stroke Smile

Have you or a mate got a car with towbar Carl Howell? You don't NEED a van ... a bike trailer is not too hard to store and somethign that will do the trick can be got 2nd hand for <£100 ... so financial much better than buying, taxing, moting, insuring a Van Wink
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DEN MONKEY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:19 - 05 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like fun. Never tried dirt riding Crying or Very sad

So which camera ?
____________________
meh
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:34 - 05 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEN MONKEY wrote:
Looks like fun. Never tried dirt riding Crying or Very sad

So which camera ?


Give it a go!!! Smile ... if you are worried about getting injured, it won't be for you though!! ... I see massive potential for getting hurt in MX!! Shocked

I have plenty of video stuff at the mo, I have 2 bullet cams and the mini DV this MX stuff is shot with, I think I'll ultimately get the motorsport gopro. But chickened out for now ... got other stuff I need to be buying ... like a fecing C&S kit for the crosser!!! Laughing
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:42 - 05 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and for those that haven't twigged, I edited the video so all footage is either with me following 'Tom C RX50' - he has green gear, orange bike and the first bike/rider we see when we get out of the gate (~20s in) - or me with 'Tom C RX50' following ... I am the one on the blue bike, blue lid, red bottoms, Army jacket and first come into the vid after the badly spelt/typed splitter* text (~3:15).


* Embarassed - but it had already started uploading, and I wasn't going to change it Wink
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:31 - 05 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like great fun! I always wondered where the unregistered mx bikes practice. How much was the day?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:48 - 05 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damofo D.O.G. wrote:
Looks like great fun! I always wondered where the unregistered mx bikes practice. How much was the day?


£30

Its £5 annual membership, so next time/for the rest of the year, it'll be £25 a shot.

Ride 10 times get one free loyalty card too .. so if you went 11 times in a year ... including membership ... that is ~£23 average per go ...

Not too bad for what is deemed one of the best track in the country ... they have full medical backup too ... which is a real asset/peace of mind thing! Thumbs Up To my mind, it's one thing coming a cropper and having trained paramedics on you within seconds ... it's another thing coming a cropper and being left for dead in some random field somewhere ... I know which I would pay £23/day for alone!! Wink
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:55 - 05 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like good fun and the jumps don't look quite as scary as I worrying!.. will definitely have to get down there sometime.

Could also be worth considering a bigger enduro two stroke; they have similar power and weight to a 4 stroke 250, but tend to be cheaper and don't have the nasty servicing.
My 200 EXC is actually pretty peaky (the 250 and 300 are much better) as it's based on the 125 with a big-bore, however I've found I've got used to the delivery and can get on the power into the power band with a moderate amount of control.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:21 - 05 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Looks like good fun and the jumps don't look quite as scary as I worrying!.. will definitely have to get down there sometime.

Could also be worth considering a bigger enduro two stroke; they have similar power and weight to a 4 stroke 250, but tend to be cheaper and don't have the nasty servicing.
My 200 EXC is actually pretty peaky (the 250 and 300 are much better) as it's based on the 125 with a big-bore, however I've found I've got used to the delivery and can get on the power into the power band with a moderate amount of control.


I don't see the point in compromise ... I'll stick with the YZ for now and if I get into it, or get really piddled off with the power delivery, I'll get a 4-stroke. I am hoping that as I get better, the 2-stroke-ness will become less and less of a problem ...

By my last session, I was deffo making a few more 'doubles' etc, this kept the speed up and actually felt more fluid than doing singles ... in short, I am sure it'd be a more sensible choice going for a 4bang, but it'd be a bit premature giving up on the YZ just yet Smile
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 273 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.75 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 92.1 Kb