Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


sleeping problems

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

TUG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:15 - 02 Jan 2009    Post subject: sleeping problems Reply with quote

i got problems sleeping, its very hard to pin point.
Here goes, right, the problem is, i sometimes cant get to sleep at all, sometimes i have nightmare bout well, my dad, or bike crashes or my ex an stuff, u know, lifes little problems. Or as current... sleeping for 12 hours sometimes even longer.
What can i do to get it back on track, its becoming a joke.
Any tips or suggestions would be amazing.
Thanks for reading.
____________________
Haz ER-5, innit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:54 - 02 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know what all the advice is, but none of it actually works for me all of the time, so you'll probably just have to give it a go and see what works for you.

A healthy routine is the key (apparently Rolling Eyes ) so make sure you go to bed at the same time and get up after 8 hours-ish regardless of still feeling tired. Bedroom not too hot or cold, nice and dark and no electronic stuff (TV's, PC's, mobile phones etc.). Try a warm bath and a warm drink (+ wee dram?), but not coffee! Sounds like your brain is keeping you awake if you're having nightmares, so try and get it properly tired by reading a book (not surfing the net).

There are loads of insomniacs on BCF so expect advice to just flood in Laughing but my advice FWIW would be try and avoid sleeping pills if you can, as they're a bit of a slippery slope.
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pyx_e
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:01 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above really. Routine is very important. Bedroom for sleeping only (no tv ect) avoid eating a big meal for a good few hours, avoid caffeine. For a couple of hours beforehand have a quiet time reading or watching something sensible on the TV (e.g. not horror movies). Try a couple of books or articles on the net on relaxation techniques for when you get horizontal. Don't ramp up your drinking or smoking. Don't give up if it does not work at first. Keep at it. Aim to spend eight/nine hours in bed.
____________________
Shiney!
Kawasaki: ER5, Versys, VN900.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:15 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Aim to spend eight/nine hours in bed.


Apparently no more than 7 is now recommended for a long healthy life. The fact that they keep changing their mind; make of that what you will.

I still feel tired regardless of the amount of sleep, so they are probably right about routine, wake up at the same time and force yourself out of bed, something i'm crap at, although managed just before midday today which was a rarity for a saturday.

Couldn't get to sleep for hours last night, was about to doze off on the sofa, so instead of waking up there at 4am as usual I went up to bed, read for 10 mins then attempted sleep. Couldn't sleep till about 3am, it sucked, and was up at 8am the previous morning and did a full days work, so /was/ tired.

There just isn't any science behind it.
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:19 - 03 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for a ride, a fairly fast one , the concentration needed soon empties your head and tires you out...
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LimehouseCBF
Nova Slayer



Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:28 - 04 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

you sleep in 4 hour intervals, thats why wen you wake up after 4 hours, 8 hours or 12 hours sleep you feel quite good, but if you have had 6 or 10 you feel a bit rougher, this is because when you sleep you have a sleep cycle and if you wake up at the wrong time then thats why you get a bit grouchy and stressed.

I used to have trouble sleeping best things to do are:
-exercise till you are so knackered (thats like 5 min jog for me haha)
-some say lavender oil works, i use that when i cant sleep well, smells a bit funny, costs under 5 quid from holland and barratt but helps you relax before you sleep, i thought it was a load of shit but as desperate to try anything, worked for me.
____________________
And on the 7th day the lord said..lets get pissed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:48 - 05 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading a book is quite a simple effective one, its taken me a month and a half to finish one because i always fall asleep. Very Happy

Dont use a mobile phone before bed and keep things electrical switched off, it does effect you. Confused
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

steppen22
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:52 - 05 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have quite .... disordered ... sleeping patterns myself.

I simply can't get to bed before 2 - my mind just won't switch off. An option that might work for me would be to get up at 4, and then I'd be tired by 12, but what's the point?

Staying up til 4 - you can get a lot done.
Getting up at 4 is just a drag - you find yourself sat in the kitchen, nothing to do until work.

I always look really tired, apparently.
And - if I'm honest - I could look a little tidier at work.

I have to get everything ready the day before becuase I know I won't get to bed before 2-3, and then I'll sleep right to the wire. I'll force myself up about 15 minutes before I need to leave for work, and somehow in that time I can get dressed, get breakfast (toast in hand as I'm walking about looking for my shoes, etc), brush teeth.

It's crazy.

I don't like living like this.

But I don't like going to bed early. If I go to bed at say 12, it means I've had 6 hours of "me time" that day. The rest I've been boed at work. 6 hours a day just isn't enough for me to do what I need to do.

So my insomnia isn't without its charms.

So I stay up, squeezing every last minute from the day until well past 2, and suffer the horrible torture of having to force myself from my cosy bed in the mornings.

I've lost track of the number of times the last few months I've been up at three drinking lager and eating snacks. You text your mates hoping for a reply, but nothing, nada. It's stupid. I'm not a student anymore.

I've got responsibilities.
____________________
no regrets, no retreat, no apology.
I've made mistakes in the past, and I apologise for FUCK ALL.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mad4it028
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:26 - 05 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a joint before bed works for me Thumbs Up
____________________
always looking to buy bikes crashed ,unfinished projects,none runners pm me
currently riding kawasaki z1000 only bike ive ever loved
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chillpill
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:50 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

mad4it028 wrote:
have a joint before bed works for me Thumbs Up


amen to that
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chillpill
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:56 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

also music helps me nod off , but for alot of people it hink it would make things worse , try it sometime though

lemon jelly is your freind

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fSMD51bAXMs

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ch4vpSVhZBU&feature=related

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bP-N9057wiQ&feature=related

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=e8yx4k4tzqE&feature=related

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6AWuKHTYvgA&feature=related

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KHgkMSbnl0o
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:58 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

mad4it028 wrote:
have a joint before bed works for me Thumbs Up

My heads alreadys fucked up, i dont need a gentle push of the edge.

As for going for a ride, i cant an if i could my mum wouldnt let me for fear of me writeing myself off for yet another 6 months, (crashed SRAD into tree) I'll try some things an let you know how i get on, music doesnt help me much but, it helps me dream an i get to sleep that way, but my phone keeps playin all the wank songs on my phone lol.
I have a bowl of noodles like at 10 pm everyday, i love em, maybe thats affectin?
____________________
Haz ER-5, innit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LimehouseCBF
Nova Slayer



Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:03 - 07 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

carbs are slow releasing so eating noodles you are slowly introducing sugars and carbs into your body which will keep you awake, try not eating anything after 8pm for one night and see how you get on. also camomile tea as gay as it sounds is so calming try some of that or lavender oil ( on your pillow)
____________________
And on the 7th day the lord said..lets get pissed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.75 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 81.97 Kb