Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


David Lloyd gyms - cheaper?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:11 - 02 Dec 2008    Post subject: David Lloyd gyms - cheaper? Reply with quote

My new company is pretty much right next to a David Lloyd gym, but unfortunately don't have an 'agreement' with the gym as some of the other companies in the business park do for cheaper rates.

So, any ideas on other ways to blag a discount? At over £70 it's really starting to push the bounds of what I'd be willing to pay, pay rise or not.
Tried the obvious googling etc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Keir
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:13 - 02 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroll in and ask if they do corporate discount for **** company over the road there.
____________________
Current : '08 Yamaha FZ1s
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:20 - 02 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagging worked for me, l got a £20 per month platinum deal with fitness first because l told them l worked for JP Morgan stupid buggers took a service engineer door card l found as proof l worked for them. Laughing
____________________
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:28 - 03 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I suspect that'll ask for proof of working for the companies that do; get a feeling they'll actually talk to HR.

I read somewhere else that you could get some deal if you have a friend on the list - maybe you have to say you're living in the same house or something. Be interested to hear if anyone knows about this?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:08 - 03 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seventy bloody quid? My gym membership including swimming pool etc, albeit maybe not up to the same standard as David Lloyd, is £32 p/m.
____________________
You ain't a has been if you never was
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:20 - 03 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can certainly get a fair bit cheaper gym memberships around here - there's a 'fitness first' down the road and a local council run/subsidised one.
However, sadly by paying a reasonable chunk for a decent gym I am actually more likely to use it; also there tends to be a higher proportion of, ahem 'fit' women to encourage me to go to tarty places.
However, more importantly why I really want this one is that being right next to work will make it a lot harder for me to avoid going - hopefully I can get up a regime of going in lunch times at least.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

trevoriv
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:47 - 03 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fook me, my gym is used by a premiership football team and its only £24 a month!

could you not get a few people from you place of work interested and go along and say any discount if 5 of us join at the same time. That's what we did.
____________________
Past: '96 Thundercat, '02 ZX636R (A1P), '58 KTM 690 SM LC4 Current: '06 ZX636R (C6F)
Mudskipper wrote: Someone just has to sig that...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:58 - 03 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

£70?!?!?

I'd want a full massage with happy ending after every workout for that.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:08 - 03 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

This business park has the HQ of Microsoft and Oracle in the UK, so there's plenty of 'big hitters' around for them to justify silly prices Sad.

Unfortunately I suspect the company actually has to pay for it's staff to get discount rates, so doubt they'll do much.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:24 - 04 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
£70?!?!?

I'd want a full massage with happy ending after every workout for that.


+1, I'd definately want a sucky suck and a love me long time for that price.

It wont really matter how far the gym is from your work, if you dont want to go you will find an excuse to convince yourself with to justify you not going, believe me, I know. So save your money, especially in these economic times, and go somewhere cheaper. Kinda goes for the class of women at either gym as well - arent you supposed to be working out, or do you intend to be "that guy" that hangs around just chatting to birds, occasionally glancing at a dumbell but thinking better of it Mr. Green

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nc30 chick
Traffic Copper



Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:39 - 04 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for one of the 'big hitters' in TVP and I pay £29.50 a month. This has gradually increased from free access to what we pay now over the past 6 years.
____________________
R.I.P our fallen friends
Lee taken on 31-7-06
Scott taken on 13-4-07
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:38 - 04 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried just walking in and asking what is the best price they can offer you? Mention things like trial membership and ask what payment terms they offer (at some gyms it's cheaper to pay a lump sum, 3/6/12 months, as opposed to monthly).

It's rarely done in this country but you can generally barter and ask for discount. I've found that if they want your money, and let's face it with all the financial bad news, what company doesn't, they'll bend.

If it was my father he'd probably walk in and ask when their buy one, get one free offer was starting and go on from there.
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:32 - 04 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried that on the phone and they weren't budging... will try it again when I go in there on Monday lunchtime.

However, these places are horribly corporate, so I doubt I'll get much.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:00 - 04 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

GhostRider wrote:

It wont really matter how far the gym is from your work, if you dont want to go you will find an excuse to convince yourself with to justify you not going, believe me, I know. So save your money, especially in these economic times, and go somewhere cheaper.

Actually, it does make a difference for me - I went to the gym a lot more when I was working in Maidenhead and going past it every day.
I've just got a new job paying 20% more, so 'current economic climate' isn't exactly relevant to my current situation (still not on megabucks sadly, but at least better than I was). Quite reasonably, it won't be too much out of that raise to pay a bit extra for this gym, but I'd still prefer not to.
Sadly I'm generally pretty crap at standing around chatting to random women, so it doesn't apply to me - just an off hand comment Smile.

nc30 chick - don't suppose you know if there any ways to blag cheaper gym membership knowing people that go to the gym on the scheme already etc? Another web site I found suggested this was possible, but didn't go into details.
Any general comments about the gym?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:07 - 04 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you've read the obvious moneysavingexpert.com Gym Membership Cost Cutting page.
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:39 - 04 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
GhostRider wrote:

It wont really matter how far the gym is from your work, if you dont want to go you will find an excuse to convince yourself with to justify you not going, believe me, I know. So save your money, especially in these economic times, and go somewhere cheaper.

Actually, it does make a difference for me - I went to the gym a lot more when I was working in Maidenhead and going past it every day.
I've just got a new job paying 20% more, so 'current economic climate' isn't exactly relevant to my current situation (still not on megabucks sadly, but at least better than I was). Quite reasonably, it won't be too much out of that raise to pay a bit extra for this gym, but I'd still prefer not to.
Sadly I'm generally pretty crap at standing around chatting to random women, so it doesn't apply to me - just an off hand comment Smile.



Fair do's, I get twitchy when a gym starts asking for more than £30 a month so theres no way I'd pay £70+, no matter how much I was earning.

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:25 - 04 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read that specific page, but I think I've got most of it covered.
Was using the Canons deal until now. David Lloyd are offering a '12 day trial' (which you have to pay for) at the moment, so think I'll take that and see what offers they have in the new year... wouldn't be using much over the actual Christmas time either.

If I look at it from a money factor, I'm probably going to be getting something like £15ph after tax (more if you discount holidays etc)... so if we say that that's about what my time is 'worth' (I'd actually value spare time higher, personally Smile ) then consider a few hours saved here and there from going in at lunch time rather than after work and it can be considered to make economic sense to use a stupidly expensive gym closer to work. But, yes, I really don't like the idea of paying such ridiculous amounts.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nc30 chick
Traffic Copper



Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:55 - 04 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know about how to get cheaper rates. I get vouchers from them saying take a guest but they still want £10 to do that.

Apart from that though the gym itself is quite good. There is a good range of lunchtime classes which I go to and they have just had a load of new weight machines and free weights put in.
____________________
R.I.P our fallen friends
Lee taken on 31-7-06
Scott taken on 13-4-07
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot



Joined: 04 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:10 - 04 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

That David Lloyd is more of a pick-up bar than a gym.

Get yourself to a spinning class there. I guarantee you won't regret it.

Going there was just about the only good thing about working for Oracle.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevoriv
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:02 - 04 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

£70, id want my balls washed for that.
____________________
Past: '96 Thundercat, '02 ZX636R (A1P), '58 KTM 690 SM LC4 Current: '06 ZX636R (C6F)
Mudskipper wrote: Someone just has to sig that...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:32 - 04 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
what my time is 'worth' (I'd actually value spare time higher, personally Smile ) then consider a few hours saved here and there from going in at lunch time rather than after work and it can be considered to make economic sense to use a stupidly expensive gym closer to work. .


So even if you get a hour for lunch, you are looking at what, a max of 30 mins doing anything worthwhile.So thats about 10 hours a month you will spend doing any workouts..... So you are paying them the same as you get paid a hour......


Save the money go for a jog round at lunch time and be both fitter and richer at the end of the month. Then make use of the council cheaper facilities at other times.

Why not talk to someone at work then and see if they can get a deal for the staff Thumbs Up
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:09 - 05 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been to a few spinning classes at current gym I go to - not sure I make a very attractive proposition during or after them! Razz

A run at lunch time would be a bad idea - running does my back in. Also, I'm wanting some upper-body stuff for 'cardio' (ie rowing) for various bike racing (off and on road) where it's useful. (Did wonder if there's any canoe clubs around there in the summer, though Smile ).

Lunch times was an example of where it would save time over going to a different gym; where I'd be paying something still. May well be able to get a flexible lunch hour for gym days - will see when I'm settled in.
Generally save time if I wanted to go after work too (though undoubtedly be packed straight after.)

I am planning to have a word, but being a new and small company, I doubt they'll be able or willing to get a decent deal.

I'm set on this place as I know how I work and reckon it'll end up with me being a fair bit fitter than other options - just want to try and achieve that as cheaply as possible Smile.

Ta for the thoughts all Thumbs Up.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nc30 chick
Traffic Copper



Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:36 - 05 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That David Lloyd is more of a pick-up bar than a gym.

Get yourself to a spinning class there. I guarantee you won't regret it.


Dont know when you went but I've never had any problems there at lunchtimes. The classes are mainly women anyway and the spinning class I dont have any problem with, its normally quite a full class.
____________________
R.I.P our fallen friends
Lee taken on 31-7-06
Scott taken on 13-4-07
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:36 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

They weren't budging at all on the price and from what I've heard, yes they do check with HR departments so didn't try blagging working for a different company Sad.

Can take an extended lunch hour from my place if required and work later; so an hour and a half exercise at the gym is fairly reasonable.

Also, no showers at work, so it'd be useful with the intention of push-biking in, in the future (whether I'd get up early enough to do some gym stuff before showers is another matter!)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

steppen22
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:48 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post illustrates nicely how completely daft gym goers are.

A) get a pushbike
B) go for a run
c) jump in a river. Swim.
d) go climb a mountain.
e) cross country through a forest
f) sunday afternoon walk.
g) Get the gear from Argos and kit out a home gym for a few thou. Much better investment.

I'm flabergasted that someone is seriously considering these fees. It's utter madness. There's a whole world out there - it's free! - where you can get super fit climbing, descending, running, exploring, rolling, meandering.

I can't think of anything duller than being stuck in a poxy gym with lots of corporate smoos (from Microsoft no less). Jesus, a lunch break is about getting away from all that bullshit.

Gym going is, in general, lazy and unimaginative. To get arse raped just short a ton each month is not only lazy and unimaginative, it's moronic.

Seriously man, surely you can do better with a payrise than that?
____________________
no regrets, no retreat, no apology.
I've made mistakes in the past, and I apologise for FUCK ALL.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 272 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.44 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 134.87 Kb