Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Short term bike insurance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

funmonkee
Super Spammer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:52 - 29 Dec 2009    Post subject: Short term bike insurance Reply with quote

I've got an RSV Mille I want to insure. Bennetts quoted me £266 [ Surprised ] for 12 months and won't let me add it to my multi bike policy (f'nose why)... I've no intension of keeping the Mille for more than 2-3 Months...

So, anyone know of a company that will do insurance for say 4 months Jan 2010 to end of April 2010 Question

Karma
____________________
**** Don't ride faster than your angel can fly Get this Free Space
The democratically elected Mod of the Scottish Section - The Peoples Choice[b]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:08 - 29 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebike pay as you go is monthly although you pay for the privilege.

Might be worth speaking to a broker directly and see what they can find. Carol Nash tend to be a bit more flexible.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:53 - 29 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody complaining about £266 for insuring a mille Laughing

I wish I could insure a mille for double that Laughing
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ant
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:26 - 30 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could... insure it for 12months, pay it monthly and then cancell it or swap it to your next bike?? That's what i'd do!!

Saying that i've just took out a payg policy for a van because i crashed mine and untill the insurance look at it i've got no wheels for work, as ichy said you pay for it tho, it's costing £60 a month to insure a vauxhall combo, third party (V reg) valued at £500 when i was paying £380 a year (about £30 a month) to insure a 07 plate renault trafic, fully comp valued at £9000!
____________________
04 ZX10R ~
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:30 - 30 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Somebody complaining about £266 for insuring a mille Laughing

I wish I could insure a mille for double that Laughing


Agreed, that is cheap.

I pay £300 for my Buell, and I've got five years no claims...
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

funmonkee
Super Spammer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 30 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually pay under £300 for 4 bikes... last time was busa,vmax,mz and a yzf750... so £266 is a bit steep for just one bike Laughing

That's the benefit of age and 5-6 years NCB Karma

I thought about the 12 monthly thing and cancelling part way Thumbs Up ... but I might see if the other bike policy I have for the speed triple will take the Mille for less than £266 Praying
____________________
**** Don't ride faster than your angel can fly Get this Free Space
The democratically elected Mod of the Scottish Section - The Peoples Choice[b]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:29 - 30 Dec 2009    Post subject: Re: Short term bike insurance Reply with quote

Ebike I think are the only sensible option for that kind of time... however... I was paying £28 monthly for a 00 ZX9 and 08 KTM690; a bit much but I liked the flexibility.
Tried to add a 06 GSXR1000 to that and they wanted £95 per month or so! Got a quote from the bike insurer for just the GSXR (beware they WILL spam you, use fake details) and could get better insurance from Devvit for £105 for the whole year!
In the end, I didn't get that bike. When I came to cancel on Monday morning, I think they were only just processing it, so charged me a grand total of 1p for my day's insurance - but of course they'll charge a fee outside of the 14 day grace period.
I checked the 'by the day' insurance sites and they wanted £35 or something for one day and £85 for three.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

funmonkee
Super Spammer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:47 - 30 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Devitt G Thumbs Up... My quotes with 0 NCB where from £300 - £600... but if I could use one of my 5 or 6 year NCB the options were:-

£88.20
£100.43
£136.49

...I'm off to tear the house apart to find the other policy I had shared with the GF... it's might have a couple of years NCB and has only been dormant for 6-7 months Karma

* the above was for TPFT... whereas the quote I had for £266 was FC Karma
____________________
**** Don't ride faster than your angel can fly Get this Free Space
The democratically elected Mod of the Scottish Section - The Peoples Choice[b]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dardappa2004
Nova Slayer



Joined: 02 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:22 - 31 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i agree Ebike is prob most easiest and simple to use . especially for very short cover Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ingah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:41 - 31 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be better off buying a year of cover and cancelling mid-term (you'll need to carefully look over the small print first though, to find out how much refund they'll actually give you - and whether you think this will work out cheaper than eBike, who can sometimes quote stupidly high). Insurers aren't technically allowed to penalise you for early cancellation (unfair terms act etc) - but as we've all found out at some stage - it's very hard to get money out of a company if they've got their "policy" to hide behind (best not get into the situation where the returns policy is unknown in the first place).

When i needed short term cover i found that i got about 85% of my money back after having a yearly policy and cancelling after about a month (i didn't chase for more as the whole premium was only ~£200). This was far cheaper for me than eBike's PAYG.
____________________
-- Ingah
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GSF Jamie 600
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 17 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:23 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="vmax.dude"]I usually pay under £300 for 4 bikes... last time was busa,vmax,mz and a yzf750... so £266 is a bit steep for just one bike Laughing

That's the benefit of age and 5-6 years NCB Karma

I thought about the 12 monthly thing and cancelling part way Thumbs Up ... but I might see if the other bike policy I have for the speed triple will take the Mille for less than £266 Praying[/quote]

Im paying £360 for a bandit 600!
God dam being young lol, and are you ready for this?
£1600 to insure a 1.25 fiesta lol =(
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 280 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.32 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 72.73 Kb