PostPosted: 18:22 - 29 Dec 2010    Post subject: Top movie Reply with quote

Solitary Man, Michael Douglas. The bollocks. Thumbs Up

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 18:38 - 29 Dec 2010    Post subject: Re: Top movie Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

cheers .. will obtain it tonight and watch later Thumbs Up

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 29 Dec 2010    Post subject: Re: Top movie Reply with quote

silky666 wrote:
Hetzer wrote:

cheers .. will obtain it tonight and watch later Thumbs Up

He should have got an oscar for that performance. A truly memorable movie. It'll be right up your street is my prediction Mr Silky.

BTJunkie, I got it at 1.1MB, took about 20 minutes.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 29 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really must learn about the whole downloading movies from the internet...I read about it all the time, and have even asked for advice, but never ever got around to it!!! I'm a techno-phobe.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 29 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
I really must learn about the whole downloading movies from the internet...I read about it all the time, and have even asked for advice, but never ever got around to it!!! I'm a techno-phobe.

You need a piece of software that interfaces between your PC and a site that supplies torrents. Bit Torrent is a good one:

https://www.bittorrent.com/

It's free. Download and install it.

Then go to a site like BTJunkie:

https://btjunkie.org/

Up the top there's a black bar into which you type the name of what it is you want, in this case for example the movie Solitary Man. Hit enter, you'll get a bunch of results. A lot will be bogus, but select one and so long as it says "Verified by the Community" in green it should be good. Don't choose one bigger than around 700mb in size.
Select the big blue "Download Torrent", select "Open" (not "Save") and it'll fire up the torrent software you installed. Say yes to everything, it'll start downloading your file. It'll probably save it into your downloads folder. Once it's downloaded go to where it is, double-click it and enjoy.

There's a filter next to the black bar which allows you to focus the search for the type of file you want, eg select "video" and you won't have to trawl through a bunch of games and music called "Solitary Man".

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 19:20 - 29 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Clanger wrote:

^^^^ yeah what he said.

Then buy a cheap 2nd hand XBOX360.
Connect it to your PC (wireless or cable).
And watch movies on your TV using Media Center Thumbs Up
All gratis and looks like this (but hopefully tidier and with a cleaner carpet).

https://windowsvistablog.com/photos/windows_experience_images/images/487575/562x480.aspx

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:49 - 29 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if your TV has a USB-slot you may be able to watch the movies from a USB-stick/drive.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 29 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Or if your TV has a USB-slot you may be able to watch the movies from a USB-stick/drive.

You really think that my tv would possess such a modern invention!!! Laughing I do keep looking at these new flat screen tv's but my is in perfect working order, and I have seen digital in action, at least tubes don't pixelate!!!!

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 02:44 - 31 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

Don't choose one bigger than around 700mb in size.

Why ?

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 31 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

silky666 wrote:
Hetzer wrote:

Don't choose one bigger than around 700mb in size.

Why ?

Because 700mb is perfectly big enough to render a good quality image on your box, so why waste the time and bandwidth (a serious consideration with most household ISPs) on anything bigger.

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 11:07 - 31 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

Because 700mb is perfectly big enough to render a good quality image on your box, so why waste the time and bandwidth (a serious consideration with most household ISPs) on anything bigger.

ok cheers.
I am new to this peer to peer stuff (always been a usenet man) ... and didnt know if it was something like them tracking anything over 700mb.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:41 - 31 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over 700mb is unecessary unless you want to watch on a huge screen.

Some darker films are available as 2 disc so 1400mb because when encoding dark video at lower quality, most fail so a higher quality is needed.

It just takes twice as long.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:24 - 31 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
Over 700mb is unecessary unless you want to watch on a huge screen.

Some darker films are available as 2 disc so 1400mb because when encoding dark video at lower quality, most fail so a higher quality is needed.

It just takes twice as long.

I watch on a 42" screen. All of my downloaded movies are around the 700mb mark, some show mild pixelation during some moments, others never show any. Not had one yet, out of around 40, that was spoiled. But I see enough to guesstimate that much lower than 700mb I'd probably have issues. Which is why, I assume, that most of these movies are provided at around 700mb.

And to fit them onto CDs. Laughing

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 31 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to go for larger files, mainly as sound quality is generally better (AC3 etc). "One CD" has been the standard rip/encode since the year dot, usually acceptable stereo sound and a decent image.

Is bandwidth really a problem? I've been with Virgin for years and easily hit 70-80GB a month (done around 30GB in the last week after flashing the xbox Laughing), never had any issues though. Is ADSL that different?

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:58 - 31 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmacsurfer wrote:
I tend to go for larger files, mainly as sound quality is generally better (AC3 etc). "One CD" has been the standard rip/encode since the year dot, usually acceptable stereo sound and a decent image.

Is bandwidth really a problem? I've been with Virgin for years and easily hit 70-80GB a month (done around 30GB in the last week after flashing the xbox Laughing), never had any issues though. Is ADSL that different?

It's a wise paranoia I guess. Unlimited is never really unlimited, and if you bring yourself to the attention of the ISP and they see you're downloading movies...who needs the heat?

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 31 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmacsurfer wrote:
"One CD" has been the standard rip/encode since the year dot, usually acceptable stereo sound and a decent image.

One CD rips are a bit anachronistic tho. Dates from a "that's all we had" period. Codecs and encoding tools may have improved but you can still get some iffy looking stuff, depending on source material and available bitrate due to length of film.

A 3 hour movie with lots of shots of fire, shimmering water surfaces and rain will look like horrible bollocks at 1 CD size.

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 31 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThoughtControl wrote:
One CD rips are a bit anachronistic tho.

Not questioning that, just stating that's how it is and has been for many years. It's an acceptable size for a DVD rip (usually, if the encoder knows what he's doing) but you're right, it's disappearing now that bluray is taking off.

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 17:00 - 31 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took out unlimited internet with PlusNet when we moved house 3 yrs ago.
Within 3 months I noticed that YouTube was suddenly incredibly slow ... so I rang the provider to find out why.
Turns out that my daytime downloads had pushed me over a set limit... and that they had throttled me for the rest of that month Sad

He then cheerfully informed me I was in the top 10 of downloaders in the UK (for that provider .. but considering they are part of BT its no mean achievement).
So thats something to be proud of I guess Thumbs Up Embarassed

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 145 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1