Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Been telling porkies?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Are you squeaky clean?
Yes, the paperwork matches reality
55%
 55%  [ 53 ]
No, I have had some works of fiction published
44%
 44%  [ 43 ]
Total Votes : 96

Author Message

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:23 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Been telling porkies? Reply with quote

Following on from this thread, I was wondering how many people have been "economic with the truth" when applying for insurance; things like ignoring points that have run their course that would still fall within the insurance company's 5 year catchment criteria, or only claiming 2000 miles a year when you do more like 10000.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:32 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very forgetful and often forget what my occupation is, if I will be commuting on the bike and the mileage I will be likely to do that year Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:40 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too can never remember what i do for a living, or how far away it is.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wizzzard
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:47 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been honest with the insurance companies I've dealt with because I belive they will do anything not to pay out and I have no wish to give them any more reasons not to do so than they can already create themselves.

I did once forget to mention an aftermarket exhaust when setting the policy up ( honest mistake, it was my first big bike and I rushed through the set up so I could ride it ) and then promptly got the bike backed over by a bus. Just that was enough to worry me so I haven't forgotten anything since.
____________________
And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
Zeitgeist / Addendum / Moving forward
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:59 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quote for my Chaly, £280 if I say I'm unemployed, £180 if I'm a self-employed mechanic. I employ myself in my garage as a mechanic, so it's not a lie Laughing What annoys me though is occupation makes sod all difference in the case of an accident.

Not really bothered about getting a payout as I only insure myself TPO. Maybe when I'm older, insurance is more reasonable and I'm fully comp, I'll be more honest.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:03 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm as honest as I can be but some of it is down to semantics.

For example, I work 'strictly speaking' in the broadcast industry. However, my company makes computer software and I am a project engineer.

So I put my job down as Project Engineer and my company business as computer software. Its not lying, its just being aware that if I put anything like the words TV or Broadcast anywhere, they'll rub their oily hands together and ream me for every penny I've got, all on the basis that I might give a famous person a lift somewhere.

I've never met any 'famous' people in my job, although Peter Simon did once tread on my foot... twice. And I'm certainly not going to give him a lift anywhere!!!
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:05 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do wonder if 'Railway' causes me to get bummed for insurance, even though I sit at a desk all day and hardly ever go near the tracks Laughing

I do tell the truth, because otherwise it might come back and bite me hard when I least need it to.
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:10 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
I did a quote for my Chaly, £280 if I say I'm unemployed, £180 if I'm a self-employed mechanic. I employ myself in my garage as a mechanic, so it's not a lie Laughing What annoys me though is occupation makes sod all difference in the case of an accident.


This is one of the things I don't understand - I'd guess that most accidents happen in the morning or evening rush hour, so being unemployed you wouldn't be as likely to be out in it. You'll also be more likely to be at home, with the bike in hearing distance so it'll be less likely to be nicked.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:16 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all just down to statistics, unemployed people must crash more.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:17 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
You'll also be more likely to be at home, with the bike in hearing distance so it'll be less likely to be nicked.


Irrelevant anyway with TPO insurance.

It's all a big con, and as long as I'm (my bike Rolling Eyes) is on the insurance database, I'm happy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:17 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

mileage and occupation. the latter due to the hang up insurance co's have over the word "student", so I'm not a "PhD student" I'm a "research scientist"
____________________
"intelligent inattention is preferable to unintelligent tinkering"
www.davejps.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:59 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm honest with my lot, on the basis that I have no reason not to be. They've never asked me how much mileage I do. They're not much bothered what I do for a living so long as it's not something that requires H&R insurance.
____________________
The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:06 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
What annoys me though is occupation makes sod all difference in the case of an accident.


And here lies the problem of people not really understanding insurance

Your occupation makes sod all difference in the case of an accident, but it does make STATISTICALLY a difference how likely you are to have one. It's in exactly the same way as being male or female, young or old makes a difference.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:12 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Statistics should work both ways. Statistically, I've made one claim in 17 years, for a grand total of £752. I'd hate to think what I've paid in insurance in that time.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:16 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Statistics should work both ways. Statistically, I've made one claim in 17 years, for a grand total of £752. I'd hate to think what I've paid in insurance in that time.


Probably just enough to cover the one reasonably innocuous claim you may have in the next 5 years that'll wipe the whole lot out.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:19 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Statistics should work both ways. Statistically, I've made one claim in 17 years, for a grand total of £752. I'd hate to think what I've paid in insurance in that time.


Law of averages you must be due a really big claim Wink . Maybe time for a no claims loading.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:22 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sssshhhh!!! Smile
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wizzzard
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:25 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:


Your occupation makes sod all difference in the case of an accident, but it does make STATISTICALLY a difference how likely you are to have one.


But with a decent percentage of the population fudging their occupation and milage and so on in the first place, how accurate will those figures they use for their statistics actually be?
____________________
And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
Zeitgeist / Addendum / Moving forward
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:30 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

wizzzard wrote:

But with a decent percentage of the population fudging their occupation and milage and so on in the first place, how accurate will those figures they use for their statistics actually be?


For anything reasonably sizeable a loss adjuster would check the information provided is true and accurate and it would get altered to the real occupation before being entered if it were found to be false. Lower end stuff there's never that much investigation, but statistically you have to work with what you've got.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Damon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:31 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down as a Receptionist at a health club. I tried putting fitness instructor and the quote went up by about 200 pounds. Crazy Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:33 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told my insurance company that I would be doing 5000 miles for the year I'll be insured with them.....

Hmmm, crap. My speedo says I've pretty much done that exactly already. Which is worrying because my odometer is missing a lot of miles from when it didn't work.
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:35 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexio wrote:
I told my insurance company that I would be doing 5000 miles for the year I'll be insured with them.....

Hmmm, crap. My speedo says I've pretty much done that exactly already. Which is worrying because my odometer is missing a lot of miles from when it didn't work.


Did they take the mileage from you at proposal stage? Is your MOT due at the same time as your insurance?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:36 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexio wrote:

Hmmm, crap. My speedo says I've pretty much done that exactly already. Which is worrying because my odometer is missing a lot of miles from when it didn't work.

Ah, but has it just been you riding it?
You might have leant the bike to a friend who has cover to ride other bikes, who also put a load of miles on it.

Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ditto
Nearly there...



Joined: 26 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:42 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i got the CG in october i said id do 1000 miles, because i didnt actually think id do much more than that. Done 3000 already though.

Whats the deal with the mileage though? Its not that easy to find out is it?
____________________
CG 125 > Bandit 600 > CBR 600 FY > Street Triple R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Syx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:42 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never knew that changing my job role would result in such a saving - found this the other week, try yours!

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-job-picker/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.78 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 132.73 Kb