Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Do I still qualify as a 'motorcyclist' ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Gazz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:24 - 29 Apr 2010    Post subject: Do I still qualify as a 'motorcyclist' ? Reply with quote

Just wondering if I still fall into the category of '2 wheeled vehicle rider' or not?

I just worked out today that I haven't ridden my motorcycle properly since November 2009 !!!!! (I feel the need more exclamation marks >>> !!!!!!!)

It is so fucking depressing seeing people out on their bikes just now, because of the good weather; there are more people about that usual.

What makes it even worse is that I drive passed a rider training school every day on my day home from work. And when I see their bikes sitting outside I just want to go and ask for a wee shot on one of them.

What's the longest you have ever been without a bike ?

And anyone else had major motorcycle withdrawl symptoms ?







*The bike was originally taken off the road due to extreme bad weather (remember how bad it was). Tried to bring it back out in February, had problems with flat battery and then starter solenoid. Then once that was sorted, I got an oil leak and a water leak. Tried to fix it myself, but no luck. Then took it to a garage who had it for 3 weeks but gave me it back saying he couldn't repair it. Since then it has been in another garage awaiting parts which have taken months to arrive. The last I heard the parts were now in this country and I will get the bike back by the end of next week. Hopefully !

Driving cars is shite.

P.S - Sorry for the rant, but I had to get that off my chest - thanks for reading (anyone who actually read it). Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
FURBAR This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:35 - 29 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had spells where I didn't own a bike, but happily rode anything I could beg or borrow. Especially through Uni, I was skinter than a skint thing, and not living amongst a community I could manipulate into lending me their steed, so I guess the 4 years I was in Bolton.

Time flies though. Thankfully. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:44 - 29 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had at least one bike since I was 12 (that's the better part of 30 years). I don't think I could survive without one. I'd even have a plastic fantastic power rangermobile if it was that or no bike at all Laughing Or a Harley Shocked
____________________
The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:07 - 29 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until I bought the Bandit back in November 2009, I'd been without a roadworthy bike for the previous 12-14 months

And yes I had withdrawal symptoms... and MAJOR envy at any two wheeled eye candy that happened to ride past Rolling Eyes

[edit] And before my DAS in 2005 I'd been without a bike for 30+ years ... but to be fair I hadn't even ridden a bike before that, so really didn't know what I was missing

.
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF


Last edited by Dazbo666 on 06:02 - 30 Apr 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 29 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to make yourself feel a little bit better...and noticeable to other bikers ... you could buy one of my car stickers?? I still have a few left for sale.

Just pm me for details (or if you've joined the South East Section, look for details and proof of the sticker in there. Cool
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fra-zzr
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:31 - 29 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

been of bikes for just over a year. Sucks... Crying or Very sad

Main thing i miss is not just heading out for a wee ride, in the car i always need fuel and end up stuck in traffic Rolling Eyes
____________________
04' Hyosung Comet Gt125
96' zzr600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
FURBAR This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

trisers
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:18 - 29 Apr 2010    Post subject: Re: Do I still qualify as a 'motorcyclist' ? Reply with quote

Gazz wrote:


What's the longest you have ever been without a bike ?


About 30 years for me Laughing

(I'm in the process of rectifying that by rebuilding an old Honda 2t, mostly for the fun of the rebuild but i'm looking forward to proving it works Wink )
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:56 - 29 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the past 25 years the longest time I was without a bike was 2 years.
After a, very, slow speed spill, I sustained the most serious injury I've ever had, it took 3 months to heal then a further 3 months to get any strength back.
Circumstances dictated I couldn't afford another bike for a further 18 months.
A very mundane period, I have to say, can't say I ever had the thought "It's a nice day, I think i'll go for a blast in the car", doesn't have the same appeal really!
Anyway, made up for it since then, got a couple of bikes on the go at the moment!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mystery
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:34 - 29 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

about 5 months from just before november sometime till about april when i decided to get my bike back on the road again
____________________
Carbon knuckles assure you maximum protect against debris and unfortunate accidents or if someone cuts you off, their side mirror.Mopeds are like chubby chicks.. they are really fun to ride until you're friends catch you on one
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:52 - 29 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been riding nearly every day since 1983. I had a 5 week lay off in 2005, where, because of a stroke, I wasn't allowed to ride or drive for a month (plus one week cos I couldn't get the doc to give me the okay to start again).

I thought I would go insane with boredom, or even worse, be forced to use buses like the poor people.
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:38 - 30 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

From October 2008 to May 2009 the only thing I rode was a BMX.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hmmmnz
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:30 - 30 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i travelled back from the uk to new zealand, i was with out a bike for 2 months, but i rode dirt bikes or those step through 4 speed scoots every couple of days Very Happy i was taking the long way back over asia Very Happy
apart from that, i havnt been with out a bike in 25 years
____________________
the humans are dead
I kick arse for the lord
Wiring Diagrams BIDNIP it bitches
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:35 - 30 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't ridden or driven since October '08.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
FURBAR This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:04 - 30 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most people have a period when other things in their life take priority, even if you have the thing taxed and insured sometimes you just can't get out on it due to complications like babies or illness in close family members.
The biking bug never goes away - you feel pain on sunny days when other bikes are out and about... Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:25 - 30 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not used your bike since 11/09?

You're a wee Pansie.

My bike is never sat for long. I buy insurance and road tax for a year coz it gets used all year.

BTW flower....
You can buy little furry mittens to keep your handy-pops snuggled up and mibby a wee fluffy woollen scarf now a days you know. Razz
____________________
W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

spike_Alike
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 27 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:53 - 30 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine have been off the road for about a year now and it's honestly killing me. I have ridden recently though Twisted Evil
____________________
Bandit 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:54 - 30 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't road a bike in about a year. I was pushed along on my mates about a month ago when trying to bump it does that count lol.
____________________
Current: Honda Nsr 125
Live: Sunderland
Luke "cant be arsed to read your post, but suck my balls anyway."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:55 - 30 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of months at most, im climbing the wall by that time...
____________________
[Current Bikes - GSXR-750 K5 & C90-97 ] [Previous Bikes: Runner 125, YBR 125, GS500, Bandit 600, Hornet 600, ZX6R-99, C90-99, R1-99, XT600E-04, GSXR-750 K4, CRF250L '16]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Minty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:27 - 30 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the same vein - do I qualify as a motorcyclist if I dust my bike more than I wash it?

Since I took up cycling to work, I have gone from a commuter to fair weather rider.
____________________
My fingers smell of your mum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:45 - 30 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not ridden since Autumn 2008. No time and CBA to get a mot.
____________________
"because one stroke isnt enough and four strokes waste two"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:42 - 30 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazbo666 wrote:

[edit] And before my DAS in 2005 I'd been without a bike for 30+ years ... but to be fair I hadn't even ridden a bike before that, so really didn't know what I was missing

.


Ditto. Before my CBT, my biking experience had been as a pillion on my mates brothers BMW R65 about 27 years before.
____________________
Prize cunt
--
"In a world of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dan79
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:04 - 30 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend says that I get that far away look in my eyes every time I'm out in the car and see bikes passing !
____________________
Previous bikes - 1984 Honda VF500 (FII) Interceptor and 1990 Yamaha RXS100
Current bikes - 1984 Honda VF500 (V30) Magna
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 156 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.58 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 127.63 Kb