neon lighting

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

tiremarks
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:51 - 02 Nov 2003    Post subject: neon lighting Reply with quote

hey ppl, im new here but iv already gotta question
i wanna put a neon light underneath my moped (looks is everything) but im not sure about the laws surrounding neons, i live in worcester if thats ne help but if ne1 knows weather its legal or not pls post a reply
thanks
jon Karma

[edit=g] you think a question about neon's is staying in the faq fourm? eh? Razz [/edit]

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:10 - 02 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not legal if its blue red yellow or possibly green too. There are other threads on the forum that explain it better than I.

Personally I think the neons should stick to their body kitted novas. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 00:51 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green is reserved for doctors etc. Blue is obviously emergency services. Red can only be displayed at the rear of a vehicle and thats all I think!

Why would you want tarty neon lights on your bike anyway? Leave that to Nova's and Barry Boy PC cases like mine Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:53 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a bike. It's a moped.

Save your cash, get a proper bike and a license. Razz

You'll get pulled for neons if you use em on the road, and you'll also get laughed at, so use whatever colour you want. Start to carry your documents to save hassle when you get pulled over.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 00:57 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ste! Stop wasting money on girly pink things and buy a proper bike.

Having neons on your bike will just cause you to get pulled every 5 minutes and you'll most probably have the piss taken out of you at every bike meet you go to unless its full of other scooter riders!!

And if you do decide still to get neon lights then at least get a colour other then blue, red or green as they are most likely to land you in deep shit with the law!

eggstar
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:57 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

all been said before
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=20002
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 21:25 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

This must be the 50th thread about muppets wanting neons.
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P_J
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:39 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev wrote:
This must be the 50th thread about muppets wanting neons.

That go for us with LEDs too? Smile

*note to self* "Take pictures of illuminated bike so can post on BCF and be ridiculed"

PJ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 23:01 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its nice to be different but neons isn't the way to go. Instead get some bunny rabit ears Very Happy

Neons will drain your battery as well and attract attention from the police which is never good as they are bound to find something else illegal while they are at it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P_J
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:05 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeyBabes wrote:
Its nice to be different but neons isn't the way to go. Instead get some bunny rabit ears Very Happy

Neons will drain your battery as well and attract attention from the police which is never good as they are bound to find something else illegal while they are at it.

like the colour of my LED tubes for a start. For some reason, the lights seem to draw out all the police in the town all at once but never once had any police give a sh!t... yet Confused

PJ

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:36 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they blue by any chance?

If so, you deserve what you get IMO.... not only is it annoying to the police (trying to impersonate them)... but it's also annoying to any one you're following... seeing a flickering blue light (when you go over bumps etc) in their mirrors.
Means people not only think the police are following them... but are less likely to realise if they actually are Confused
[/rant]

P_J
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:45 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are red. Which I read somewhere was not legal or illegal as it depends on how and where they are fitted.

They are not supposed to shine to the front but can illuminate areas to the front of a vehicle.

Plead ignorance and switch em off. Easy as that if anything is said. No great loss.

Re the annoyance factor, how many bikes or cars do you see on the road with Neons / LEDs? Not many, IMHO it is another way to help you stand out in the dark as people think, "WTF is that" meaning that they have seen you and are less likely to splatter you.

IMHO.

PJ

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:48 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

P_J wrote:
I got blue to shine on the side faring and that, apparently is ok, this is because it is illuminating and not shining (forward/backwards).

No, blue is damn annoying. Xenon headlights are annoying, but an actual blue light is even more annoying. I want to be able to tell if something is a cop or not. If some moron boy racer has put blue lights on thier car, it means you can be confused with a police car.

Hope you get a nice big fine for your blue lights Mad Evil or Very Mad

P_J
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:51 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ points Ste to

https://wso.williams.edu/orgs/peerh/stress/relax.html

Take a notepad.

Dreams will get you nowhere, a good kick up the arse will take you a long way.
Only1PJ.co.uk

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:55 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh?

The fact I have a dislike for morons who think its big and clever to look like a police car doesn't mean I'm stressed. Think about it, lots of people with bikes travel at speeds more than your nsr can do, and see blue lights in thier mirrors. Is it a) a cop, or b) a moron with blue neons. Make the wrong choice and you'll likely to be fucked.

Ste points PJ to https://www.maxpower.co.uk and https://www.sc-ooter.com

Take a notepad, you might learn some more crap stuff

P_J
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:29 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Eh?

The fact I have a dislike for morons who think its big and clever to look like a police car doesn't mean I'm stressed. Think about it, lots of people with bikes travel at speeds more than your nsr can do, and see blue lights in thier mirrors. Is it a) a cop, or b) a moron with blue neons. Make the wrong choice and you'll likely to be fucked.
Ste points PJ to https://www.maxpower.co.uk and https://www.sc-ooter.com
Take a notepad, you might learn some more crap stuff

In no way shape or form do I look like a police car. Confused

The blue lights I bought for my bike (are still in the packaging in the house) are approximately 1cm diameter and were intended to illuminate the space under the tank (shining inside, so you could not see from front or rear anyway)

The dig at the NSR, fair cop (no pun intended). It is not fast, it will break the speed limit though and to be honest, I would not mind being reminded on occasion that I am breaking the law.

From that point on you have got the choice to either slow down or carry on and risk getting busted.

If I am categorically told, in person, by a policeman (or equivalent) that these are totaly 100% illegal then I will gladly remove them. I'm really not that bothered about it.

I fully intended on going to the cop shop in the summer before I put on the red LEDs to check with them how legal/illegal it would be. Probably still should. But like I said, I am not bothered if I have to take them off. Anything for an easy life.

PJ

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:46 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you say that you have em, most people would assume that you actually fitted them as opposed to leaving em in the packet Razz

And I would still argue that they would be viewable from the from or rear Confused which would make you look like a police veichle from a distance

btw, not having a go at the NSR there, just simply saying its not really an issue on an NSR, as you can't really go fast enough on them for it to actually become an issue

G1_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Think about it, lots of people with bikes travel at speeds more than your nsr can do, and see blue lights in thier mirrors. Is it a) a cop, or b) a moron with blue neons. Make the wrong choice and you'll likely to be fucked.

IMO it wouldn't be the morons fault as you know what risks you are taking when going above the speed limit anyway.

Although I do agree neons and leds are just for tarts Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:40 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note my comments were directed towards blue lights.

It would be the bad bikers fault for going over the seed limit, yes. However seeing as we're so naughty, the person with the blue lights is obviously lowering themselves to the criminal underworld, where they might expect to have their vehicle vandalised a tad with a crow bar, what else can they expect when they're messing in serious criminal activities? Twisted Evil

Razz Razz

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 12:34 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

No colour is illegal so long as you can't see the bulb. Id it's only shining on the road it's fine. Any colour other than purple is already reserved for Services if you want to be able to see the bulb.
I may get around to fitting Neons on the Blade one day.
Then again, maybe not.

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 12:41 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neons look awful i know a lad with them under his......nova and it looks like a strange alien ship at night floating down the road all I can say is stop thin about what you're doing and try again!

Furious D
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of the neons and LED's because they look pretty cool on "The Fast And The Furious" although I've never seen any on a bike before. P_J would you post some pics of your bike with them on? It would help clear any doubt's about fitting some to a bike (basically how good they actually do look!)

P_J
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:17 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still trying to get pictures of them, I will post them on here (so people can rip into it for a bit). Confused

Or I might just email you them Smile

Save me some grief wont it. Smile

PJ

Furious D
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Or I might just email you them

Thanks, I would be grateful although I haven't decided wether to spend any money on my NSR (when i get it) for looks etc. But I might just wait until I pass my test and buy a bigger bike, then start trying to look good, especially as the NSR is one of the best looking 125's in my opinion. D.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:29 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never know... you might find you actually enjoy riding your bike. And thus spend money on doing that instead Razz Very Happy.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 181 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2