Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Connecting PS3 to computer monitor

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

KLR600
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:21 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: Connecting PS3 to computer monitor Reply with quote

Can it be done? I'm going to uni in September and I'm thinking of ways to downsize, I already have 3 monitors hooked up to my pc so I don't really need a massive CRT TV in the corner of my room as well if I can help it!
____________________
Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:25 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need a widget

https://www.thegametrain.com/products/14716-wii-and-ps3-vga-cable.html
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

R6Armadillo
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:12 - 30 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your monitor has DVI inputs you can use a HDMI to DVI cable similar to this: https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-HDMI-Male-DVI-I-24-1-Male-Extension-Cable-1-8M-/160443882801?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item255b335d31#ht_4485wt_1002

I have been using one for a while with a PS3 and 22" Monitor
____________________
When Eric eats a banana, an amazing transformation occurs. Eric is Bananaman. Ever alert for the call to action.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:42 - 30 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a better widget than the one i suggested, as DVI is better than VGA
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:12 - 01 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect they're both better than a scart though Laughing
____________________
Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
FURBAR This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

KLR600
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:08 - 05 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragging this back up because I've now moved and managed to hock my TV.

Basically I'm getting really confused with all the connections and stuff. I've got 2 old school CRT monitors and a faulty flat screen LCD that works but if my pc goes into standby mode or stops sending a signal to it it freezes in the off position and you need to unplug it then leave it for a few minutes before it'll work again.

Also I'm a bit confused about the audio as I understand I'll lose the audio if I use the HDMI converter as it only supports 5.1 sound or something?

The sound card on my computer has SPDIF inputs so can I use the HDMI port on the PS3 to output the video then use a different output for the audio?

So I'm wanting to use my PS3 with one of my CRT monitors without losing the sound, anyone help?

BTW - I don't mind unplugging and plugging things back in between using my PC and my PS3 if that makes any difference so I'm not bothered by a permanent set up once kind of thing if that makes any sense. Also, the cheaper the better as I'm a poor student now! Laughing
____________________
Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:23 - 05 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

KLR600 wrote:
Dragging this back up because I've now moved and managed to hock my TV.

Basically I'm getting really confused with all the connections and stuff. I've got 2 old school CRT monitors and a faulty flat screen LCD that works but if my pc goes into standby mode or stops sending a signal to it it freezes in the off position and you need to unplug it then leave it for a few minutes before it'll work again.

Also I'm a bit confused about the audio as I understand I'll lose the audio if I use the HDMI converter as it only supports 5.1 sound or something?

The sound card on my computer has SPDIF inputs so can I use the HDMI port on the PS3 to output the video then use a different output for the audio?

So I'm wanting to use my PS3 with one of my CRT monitors without losing the sound, anyone help?

BTW - I don't mind unplugging and plugging things back in between using my PC and my PS3 if that makes any difference so I'm not bothered by a permanent set up once kind of thing if that makes any sense. Also, the cheaper the better as I'm a poor student now! Laughing


Isn't there an external sound port on a PS3? I would check mine but can't be bothered to move 2ft.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
FURBAR This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:29 - 05 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i take it back, his widgit is not better, as it doesnt have sound connections mine does

the one i suggested outputs to vga but also has phono connections for left and right stereo sound
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Aka Matt
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 15 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:36 - 05 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
ok, i take it back, his widgit is not better, as it doesnt have sound connections mine does

the one i suggested outputs to vga but also has phono connections for left and right stereo sound


It doesn't really matter as you can set the ps3 to output sound using the av cable and plug the red/white cables in for sound whilst setting the video to output via hdmi.
____________________
Current bike(s): 2016 Tuono 1100 Factory, 1998 Hornet 600
Previous: 1998 YZF600R Thundercat, 2001 Bandit 600, 2002 GSX-R 600 K2, 2011 Tuono R, 2013 Z1000SX
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
FURBAR This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

KLR600
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:40 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spellchucker wrote:
It's an old crt monitor, we need to know what connections on the back of them are ... i think ... Thumbs Up Idea


I just had a look on the back of each of my monitors and they only have the power socket and the VGA output like this:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/c00513374.jpg

For sound I have one of these cards in my pc:

https://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=m+audio+2496&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=8592815504381270436&ei=08-ETI37OcLCswbt5N2aBQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDcQ8wIwAw&os=tech-specs

I currently have a phono cable going from the phono output of the card to the input of my stereo and generally just listen to everything through headphones.

Am I right in thinking that I all I need then is to get a HDMI to DVI converter doohickey like this?

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/24K-GOLD-plate-DVI-HDMI-Adapter-Adaptor-Belkin-1080p-/260647358777?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item3cafcb1139#ht_2522wt_959

I'd unplug one of my monitors from my pc and plug it into my PS3 via the HDMI socket with the adaptor then using the AV multi out on the PS3 I could just take the audio and route it to my stereo which would totally bypass my PC?

I know the PS3 supports dual audio outputs but not sure if it does so in this way.

Thanks for the help so far Thumbs Up
____________________
Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
FURBAR This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

KLR600
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:39 - 06 Sep 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spellchucker wrote:
Sorry i can't be of more help, my suggestion should see you right .. Rolling Eyes Thumbs Up Smile


No worries, I ordered one of those DVI to HDMI converter things as it's only £3 so worth a punt I thought. Forgot to mention I already have VGA to DVI adapters on my monitor leads! So I'll see how it works out when it comes in the post and report back.
____________________
Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 26 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.16 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 93.47 Kb