Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Brewing your own beer.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:04 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Brewing your own beer. Reply with quote

I have instructed the missus that i want a "Brew Your Own" beer kit.
Has anyone tried these out?
If so, what one and how did it go?

Cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

growler
Traffic Copper



Joined: 17 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:16 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on what you want to drink
I do real ales or brown ales
____________________
DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:22 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to have a stab at the Lager Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:45 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to brew beer, I gave up cos it fucks up your health! Laughing

Its like 27p a pint, so you end up drinking atleast 4 pints a night or you end up drinking it just for the hell of it.

Having said that its good fun and as long as you keep everything clean the beer should come out ok.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:56 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infact I fancy a home brew kit for my birthday next month, it's been talked about on here before and there was whole kits on a website mentioned. I'll go looking for the site now.

EDIT: Just found it . Brew-It-Yourself
____________________
Current: Honda Nsr 125
Live: Sunderland
Luke "cant be arsed to read your post, but suck my balls anyway."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:58 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battle of the brewers i think laddio.

My bday is in dec, so i guess ill have to wait til then.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:59 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up for a battle mate lol. Don't need an excuse to brew and drink beer lol.
____________________
Current: Honda Nsr 125
Live: Sunderland
Luke "cant be arsed to read your post, but suck my balls anyway."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:01 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at this kit.

https://www.menkind.co.uk/gifts-and-gadgets-c112/drinking-and-smoking-stuff-c34/home-bar-equipment-c35/youngs-brew-buddy-40-pint-beer-starter-kit-lager-p111162?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=111279&utm_campaign=froogle#111279

Also, how do you change the flavour? is it to do with how long it ferments for?

Also,
https://www.menkind.co.uk/gifts-and-gadgets-c112/drinking-and-smoking-stuff-c34/home-bar-equipment-c35/the-beer-machine-2000-p111237

But it seems more "pre-mix" then brew your own.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:37 - 03 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey CaNsA

I work for Menkind, drop me a PM if you are going to buy one of those brew buddies and I will try and sort you out on discount Thumbs Up
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AL-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 04 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Red done it a few months ago

Here is the thread:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=197171&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=homebrew&start=0
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Benson_JV
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:17 - 04 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I brew my own ale, but I don't use kits. I mash the grains then boil the wort with the hops.

Stay the hell away from that beer machine thing if you want to drink anything better than dirty dishwater.
The kit is what determines the flavour, the brew buddy 40 pint lager kit is a good starter (hey it's what I started with) Basically, a kilo of pre-hopped wort that's been boiled down and "40 pints" of water. But I would suggest you use closer to 30 pints of water, sure you get less beer in the end, but the beer you do get has a deeper stronger flavour, with the added bonus of being closer to 6% instead of 4%.
Message me with anything you want to know mate, I've got several thousand litres of beer brewing under my belt!
HTH.
____________________
Willson - "If you go out on that CBR600 in the winter, you're going to do more miles on your side than on your wheels."
Riding: CBR600FW Driving: Audi A6
Previous Bikes: '96 Bandit 600, '96 GPz305
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gone
Nearly there...



Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:19 - 04 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get them in the UK, then the Aussie 'Coopers' kits are the best I've tried. About 1kg of brewer's sugar is a good starting point for a decent balance of abv and taste.

Really must drag my lazy self back to making a few batches, this Finnish lager is not doing me any good at all!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Benson_JV
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:02 - 04 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

FinnDave wrote:
If you can get them in the UK, then the Aussie 'Coopers' kits are the best I've tried. About 1kg of brewer's sugar is a good starting point for a decent balance of abv and taste.

Really must drag my lazy self back to making a few batches, this Finnish lager is not doing me any good at all!


You can. The stout is rather nice! Although it did make me forget my birthday a few years ago Laughing
____________________
Willson - "If you go out on that CBR600 in the winter, you're going to do more miles on your side than on your wheels."
Riding: CBR600FW Driving: Audi A6
Previous Bikes: '96 Bandit 600, '96 GPz305
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gone
Nearly there...



Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:05 - 04 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benson_JV wrote:

You can. The stout is rather nice! Although it did make me forget my birthday a few years ago Laughing


That's quite a recommendation! I agree, the stout is particularly fine, I have a can in the cupboard waiting for me to brew it, something I must do soon. Lovely smooth taste, that stout, a fine beer.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Benson_JV
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:27 - 04 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, although if you are going to do it, I must recommend using this stuff instead of sugar of brewers sugar. Gives it a much finer taste. Or failing that, brew it from scratch, even better!

https://www.muntons.com/homebeer/other-products/spraymalt_dark.asp
____________________
Willson - "If you go out on that CBR600 in the winter, you're going to do more miles on your side than on your wheels."
Riding: CBR600FW Driving: Audi A6
Previous Bikes: '96 Bandit 600, '96 GPz305
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.43 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 85.35 Kb