|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Suntan Sid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Suntan Sid World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 May 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:24 - 20 Jan 2011 Post subject: Silicone implants? |
 |
|
More often than not, there's an ad at the bottom of the forum page for silicone hoses.
If you go to their website they make various claims about their product.
One such claim is that using their hoses will reduce the coolant temperature in your bike.
Now for most of you this is probably not an issue, however for me it is.
My DRZ400E has no cooling fan, and if I ride it in the summer, here in Cyprus, it invariably start to boil the water if left idling even for 30 seconds.
(I Should point out that the temperature here rarely drops below 30c in the summer, so I don't think there is a problem with the bike).
So has anyone used Mr Samco's products, do they do what they say on the tin?
See what I did there, lured you in with innuendo, bored you to death, and not a mammary in sight.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| robocog |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 robocog Traffic Copper
Joined: 17 Apr 2009 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Suntan Sid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Suntan Sid World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 May 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 14:09 - 20 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
AFAIK, the"E" runs notoriously hot, I've changed the coolant, there didn't appear to be a problem.
I've been looking at the water wetter route and might give that a go as well.
Anything that can lower the water temp would be good.
For the "E" the Samco hoses were less than 80 notes, I think, given the bike is a 2000 I might just treat it to a new set of hoses anyway.
Over on "Thumpertalk" there are plenty of folk fitting computer cooling fans to their "E's", so I think I'm not only one in hot water, as it were.
I'll give you an example, last winter, i'd done a bit of work on the bike, packed it in when it started to get dark. Had my tea then went out to start her up, started first time, let her idle for a bit.
I couldn't for the life of me work out were the red light was coming from, it's got no dash or warning lights. It wasn't until I walked round the front of the bike and saw the exhaust header pipe glowing orange!
Apparently this is normal on the "E" it relies on motion induced air cooling as well as the water system!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pinkyfloyd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pinkyfloyd Super Spammer

Joined: 20 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| robocog |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 robocog Traffic Copper
Joined: 17 Apr 2009 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 15:47 - 20 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'd suggest fitting a bigger radiator off something else, or an oil cooler.
A fan would help too. Although I'd probably be using a motorbike fan, not a PC one. You can just rig it up with a switch to turn it on and off. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Suntan Sid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Suntan Sid World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 May 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:17 - 20 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
| robocog wrote: | Sure the timing and fuel mix is ok?
I have only really seen glowing headers after some serious thrashing or badly adjusted setups (OK so not on your bike as I'm a newby when it comes to 2 wheels)
Glowing headers at idle just doesn't sound right to me
I could be wrong though |
This is all from memory so I could be wrong as well, but glowing header pipe syndrome has been discussed, at length, over on "Thumpertalk" and would appear to be a common phenomenom.
Last time I looked at the plug the colouring indicated it was running well, and I don't have the problem in the winter! The valve clearances were done less than 500 miles ago.
As far as the fans go, IIRC, the "E" has a thicker radiator than both the "S" & "SM", so space for mounting them is limited, presumably computer cooling fans are thinner and, therefore easier to shoe horn in, probably cheaper as well.
Having said that I do have the twin radiators and fans I stripped off the Beemer I broke up a couple of months ago so I might check them fo size.
Specially for "Pinky", who seems to be fretting about the lack of actual tits in this thread, have a gander at these beauts, phwoaaaaaaar!!!!!
https://f.polska.pl/gal/84/10/174/med.jpg
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pinkyfloyd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pinkyfloyd Super Spammer

Joined: 20 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:22 - 20 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
https://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o85/LaKsOy/Emoticons/wank.gif ____________________ illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 15 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|