Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Ants

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:58 - 19 Dec 2003    Post subject: Ants Reply with quote

Right.

2 days ago I decided it would be a really good idea to buy an 'Antquarium' [1], "great!" I thought, "I can watch little ants crawl about and make tunnels and stuff!".

The 'Antquarium' arrived a couple of hours ago, I ripped open the packaging to reveal the Antquarium, in all its glory.

"Collect 15 ants from your garden" it read. So off I went into the garden with a head torch (it was dark..), a trowel and a small container. After much digging all I had managed to achieve was a trench you could fight a war out of and not one ant, NOT ONE!

So, I ask the all-knowing BCF (there's hope yet), where the hell do ants go in the winter, and how do i obtain them?!

I know the description says that there is a voucher which you can send off to get some ants, but:

1) I don't want to wait 28 days just for some bleeding ants.
2) I didn't get a voucher anyway.

[1] https://www.iwantoneofthose.com/ProductDetails.aspx?language=en-GB&product=ANTQUA
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Jay This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Susi
Whitton Girl



Joined: 06 Jun 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:48 - 19 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's ants in the winter? Don't they sleep or something?

You could always try leaving sugar trails all over your garden and then wait a few hours to see if anything happens. Then again considering it's December and we get rain instead of snow, it'll probably washed away at some point and your hard work would have gone to waste.

So anyways I Google for "Where to find ants in the Winter" and came up with some interesting bits:

When it become cold outside in late fall, the ants move deep into the nest looking for a warm place. Millepedes and springtails living in a litter sometimes hibernate during winter in a shallow place in the nest. The exit becomes closed naturally with soil and sands during this period.

Ants living in the soil pass winter deep in the nest. Some species pass winter gathered together in a place that is not so cold, such as beneath the bark of a tree, inside a plant, or in a gap in the base of a tree.

Most types of ants do not eat food during winter. They survive the winter utilizing the fat accumulated during fall. However, the Messor aciculatus ant stores many grass seeds in the stock-piling chamber of the nest during fall and remains in the nest during winter.
____________________
Sometimes, I like to think I'm 'spe-cial'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The BeefMeister
Crazy Courier



Joined: 20 Jun 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:56 - 19 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was younger I used to play round the garden with me little toy cars etc. If I saw one ant, that would lead to another one and then I'd end up right next to a ants nest. Great!

Also look for little holes in paving slabs and you should get some by stamping on the as >Jay said.
____________________
"Put your hands up motherstickers, this is a f*ck up!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mrs_Hippy
The Pink Lady



Joined: 07 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:23 - 19 Dec 2003    Post subject: Re: Ants Reply with quote

Basically you have chosen the wrong time to set one up but you might find this site helpfull:

https://www.antcam.com/

There are places online where you can order ants, worms and ladybirds but that too would envolve waiting.


carvell wrote:
Right.

2 days ago I decided it would be a really good idea to buy an 'Antquarium' [1], "great!" I thought, "I can watch little ants crawl about and make tunnels and stuff!".

The 'Antquarium' arrived a couple of hours ago, I ripped open the packaging to reveal the Antquarium, in all its glory.

"Collect 15 ants from your garden" it read. So off I went into the garden with a head torch (it was dark..), a trowel and a small container. After much digging all I had managed to achieve was a trench you could fight a war out of and not one ant, NOT ONE!

So, I ask the all-knowing BCF (there's hope yet), where the hell do ants go in the winter, and how do i obtain them?!

I know the description says that there is a voucher which you can send off to get some ants, but:

1) I don't want to wait 28 days just for some bleeding ants.
2) I didn't get a voucher anyway.

[1] https://www.iwantoneofthose.com/ProductDetails.aspx?language=en-GB&product=ANTQUA

____________________
Karma - Karma
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 293 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.96 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 47.89 Kb