|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Pernig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pernig World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Jul 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:18 - 28 Jan 2011 Post subject: Looking at some portable storage |
 |
|
Hi all,
I am looking for an external hard drive or similar solution and thought I would ask you lot for your experiences. My requirements are:
Minimum of 1TB
Reasonable price, but don't mind paying a bit more for extra features or a host card, too
As resilient as you would expect a hard drive to be
The last requirement is that I want a faster alternative to USB on there, but I do want USB as well, as I will be using it to plug into other people's computers sometimes.
What is the hot thing to have on these drives nowadays? My PC has sockets for eSata and Firewire, but no USB 3.0 although I could add a host card as i have some spare PCI Express slots. Like I said, I don't mind paying more if it's going to be faster and future proof.
Or should I just go for Gigabit Ethernet? That could maybe make it more versatile, watching videos streamed from it to my PC and phone perhaps. Although then it would probably be a pain in the arse unplugging it.
Thanks in advance. ____________________ H100 Breaking for spares |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Luke_Retrofly |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Luke_Retrofly Silly Lesbian

Joined: 05 Jul 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:49 - 28 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
why dont you just what everyone else does and go to www.ebuyer.com and click on the first thing you see.
Storage is dirt cheap these days, no need to fuck about just buy some dataz. ____________________ Flounced - Long overdue
Fuck you bitch I'm in the top 10 list I can do the what the fuck I want! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pernig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pernig World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Jul 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Neorion |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Neorion World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Jul 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pernig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pernig World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Jul 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Neorion |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Neorion World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Jul 2008 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pernig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pernig World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Jul 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:30 - 28 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
It's going to be used for backup and general storage. I will only be using it to backup files to start with but I will want to backup entire partitions' images in the future. Right now the 344GB I specified is files only.
Like I said, portability is a must, or I would be buying a drive on its own.
After pricing some stuff up I think you are right, USB 3.0 is at a bit of a premium, although just being able to use 1 cable (as I will sometimes be lugging the drive about and connecting it to computers that almost certainly will only have USB 2.0) appeals to me.
I know you said 20MB/s will be enough but I do want the speed as I can't be bothered to buy another enclosure when I decide I want to do heavier work. Also my internal drives average 150 read and 140 write so I will notice the difference!
Thanks for pointing me in the write direction. I think it is a toss up between the USB 3.0 for futureproofing/easiness/tart-factor or dual eSata and USB 2.0 for a bit more cheapness. ____________________ H100 Breaking for spares |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Neorion |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Neorion World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Jul 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:20 - 28 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
A bit different that what you asked for but
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SATA-Dock-Station-Caddy-eSATA/dp/B0036SMM22
then have a caddy for being portable.
Esata is 3GBs but that will be a burst speed I think Usb 3.0 is 5Gbs not sure what that drops too.
anyway enjoy  ____________________ VFR FI 2000- Shiney Red Thing
"some things man was never meant to know, for everything else there's Google" |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pernig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pernig World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Jul 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:39 - 28 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks again, Neorion. Those desk caddies do actually look pretty handy.
In the end I decided to go for a 1TB Spinpoint hard drive at £39, a 3.5" USB 3.0 enclosure for £22 and a host card to unlock the full speed which was a further £18.
It came to quite a bit, but including delivery was still cheaper than a 1TB USB 3.0 external hard drive on its own, which I'd still have to buy a host card for to get the full speed. Also most of the external drives I could find weren't in stock. I guess this technology is still a bit new. ____________________ H100 Breaking for spares |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pernig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pernig World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Jul 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:24 - 28 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Well. I just spent £86 on this lot and now my motherboard has fucking broke. Yay! ____________________ H100 Breaking for spares |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Colin Edwards |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Colin Edwards Brolly Dolly

Joined: 06 Jul 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:28 - 29 Jan 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
I like G Drives . You pay more for them but they have all the connections you could ever need... Well worth the extra pennies and build well..
https://g-technology.com/products/g-drive.cfm
CE |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 15 years, 251 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|