Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What bike to hire, and where from??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

GFK
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 03 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:49 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: What bike to hire, and where from?? Reply with quote

I did my test on 19th December - failed miserably on 3 points. It was a disaster from start to finish. It pissed me off that the examiner was in a car, while I was on the bike freezing my bollocks off - the roads were wet and there were icy patches on the back-roads. Anyway, he tested the radio thing - it worked. He got in his car, told me to set off.

So off I went. Got to the test centre gates. Which way does he want me to go? He isn't saying anything. So I turned left and headed for the town centre. I went across 3 or 4 roundabouts - still wasn't hearing a peep out of the examiner. What the hell is going on?

I took a left, and pulled up. Turned out the batteries had died just after he told me to set off. So I had to do the rest of the test old-fashioned style, with him telling me where to go for the next half mile or so.

In the end I failed on three things.

1. Emergency stop. I locked the back wheel and the back end slid to the right. I controlled it, stopped in a very short distance taking into consideration the road conditions, got the bike quickly out of the way not forgetting life-savers. Yet I still failed for it.

2. U-turn. On an NSR! I pushed the bike around on the road to make sure it'd go, and it *just* went at full lock. I knew i'd fucked it there and then. I had to put a foot down half way round.

3. On the very last road back to the test center, I was so determined my speed wasn't going to waver above or below 30, that I failed to notice I was in a 20mph restriction. Failed for speeding!

That little lot brings me nicely onto the point of my post.

Points 1 and 3 I can deal with. If I do another U-turn on my next test on THAT road on my NSR, I'll fail for the exact same reason.

What would be a good 125 to hire for a bike test? I need something that DOESN'T turn like the titanic and is gonna get me through that u-turn safely. I'm pretty sure I did my CBT on a CG125, but it was ages ago and I really can't remember.

Also, does anybody know where I could hire a bike from in South Yorkshire or North Nottinghamshire? I'm having problems finding places.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dusty
King of the Rim



Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:28 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad luck mate, sorry to hear that. Sad

The U turn is always tricky under pressure, even when you're on a decent sized road. It all comes down to having very good clutch and rear brake control. Get another one booked as soon as you can, hopefully you might even get a working radio. Confused

Who did you do your training with? Do they not hire bikes? Most training centers I know of have some 125s for hire.
____________________
Gallery
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:52 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlucky mate. Did they not ask you to push the bike in the road in a U turn first? You should tell him then if the road is too narrow for it. Put it down to nerves and you'll be ready next time Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:40 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Re: What bike to hire, and where from?? Reply with quote

Right,:

1: It's worth going out in the rain and practicing emergency stops, but although you do have to use the rear brake, just make sure your foot is touching it.
Generally you want to avoid using the rear brake in such situations and I was definitely advised to only make it look like I was using, not actually use it Smile.]

2: When I did my test I made sure I didn't push the bike on full lock, walk the bike around, but only at 1/2 - 3/4 lock, this way you've got plenty of space to spare, they should take you somewhere better if you don't. It's worth getting some U-turn practice in on the NSR as well. With some practice, you can counter the instinct to put your foot down, and do a U turn on full lock... you just have to train yourself to put more power on as the bike is about to fall.

3: Just one of those annoying things that the pressure does. Good luck next time Smile.

As far as I know most training places will only hire bikes to people they're teaching. Have a look in MCN if you're really bothered by it, though most tend to be London based, but a bit more practice will probably save you £100.

Before my test I went out for several evening on a narrow road and did U-turns and emergency stops on my NSR.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School



Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:58 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlucky mate. Sad I rented a CG125 for my test because I couldn't get the hang of U turns on my NSR and didn't feel like dropping it trying.

Tip for the U turn, look up and towards where you want to go, NEVER LOOK DOWN AND AT THE CURB, also keep the throttle busy. Exclamation I was never good at U turns but I found this advise (when followed) made the difference between putting my foot down and completing a u turn successfully.

Good luck for your next test.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 288 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.49 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 46.85 Kb