Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Android DLNA/uPnP ControlPoint?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Pernig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:50 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Android DLNA/uPnP ControlPoint? Reply with quote

My media player has a plugin so it can be used as a DLNA server. I'd like to use my phone as a remote for this, and possibly stream video to the phone in the future. Has anyone found a decent app for these tasks on their Android phone?
____________________
H100 Breaking for spares
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Colin Edwards
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 06 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:16 - 07 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 2player.

Does the job with my iomega NAS

CE
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UrbanRacer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:07 - 08 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

winamp and vlc does it i'm sure.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Syris D Indomitable
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 12 Feb 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:02 - 12 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!.
Dug this up for you.

Requirements:
1) A PC running on home network (this can be running Windows [for which this guide is aimed at], Linux or any other platform which VLC runs on).
2) An Android phone that has network connectivity, either by 3G or by Wifi
3) Download a copy of the free and open-source VLC Media Player and install it.

STEP 1) Start VLC => View => Add Interface => Web Interface. A small tick will appear next to it. If this doesn’t work, consult this page. https://traveldevel.com/vlc-stream-convert/setup

STEP 2) On Phone, Install VLC Stream and Convert. https://www.appbrain.com/app/com.gmail.traveldevel.android.vlc.app

STEP 3) In this program, enter IP address of your PC, it will connect.

STEP 4) Your media now shows up on the phone browser, ready to play. Note that you can adjust quality settings (resolution/bitrate) in the settings of the program. Also initial load and seeks will take a few seconds to buffer, but it’s still much quicker than waiting to copy the entire file to the phone, let alone worry about space limitations.
https://senk9.wordpress.com/2010/09/26/how-to-stream-media-onto-your-android-device-easily-from-anywhere/



Also:
Winamp's Winamp Remote... Converts files on the fly to stream them to your phone too. only issue is the screen timeout interferes with the player... Otherwise works with almost ANY file. https://winamp.orb.com/orb/html/login.html
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pernig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:29 - 12 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Val. Alas, I don't use VLC or Winamp. I'm a fussy bugger!

2Player just wanted to play the first track no matter what track I actually selected. I don't know whether it was 2Player that was at fault or Rhythmbox. The other apps on the market were all either buggy, had reduced functionality or weren't designed for the use I was looking for.

I found a pretty good app called Tesla which works for most media players in Ubuntu and connects via SSH. I don't much like the UI though, so as it's open source I might see if I can't have a go at redesigning it a little on my own.

If I have a bash at this I will post my progress on here.
____________________
H100 Breaking for spares
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Syris D Indomitable
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 12 Feb 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:40 - 12 Feb 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good little app, I'm on android my self.
Quote:
You can use it to control playback, change the volume, and shutdown the PC using an easy to use remote control-like UI. Connection to your computer requires a Wifi network.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 237 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.18 Sec - Server Load: 0.76 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 49.33 Kb