Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Mod 1 queries

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:12 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Mod 1 queries Reply with quote

Hey

Flat mate is sitting his theory Tuesday and doing his modules asap after.

I did mine a while ago and its not really that fresh in my mind Laughing

Hes asked me a few questions

Do you need to indicate in mod 1 - video says act like you are on the road etc.

Do I have to wear boots

Do they do bike checks, such as horn and suspension questions

Do I have to go into neutral or can I leave it in gear with clutch in


Naturally, I should be able to answer Laughing But its been ages since I did mine...and I think i blagged my way through mod 1.

I did mine in trainers, but new laws fly in all the time Rolling Eyes
I didnt indicate, but then I didnt really use my shoulder checks that much either.
I got asked how I check the horn and brakes... but cant recall if it was mod 1 or 2.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:16 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Re: Mod 1 queries Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
Hey

Flat mate is sitting his theory Tuesday and doing his modules asap after.

I did mine a while ago and its not really that fresh in my mind Laughing

Hes asked me a few questions

Do you need to indicate in mod 1 - video says act like you are on the road etc.

Do I have to wear boots

Do they do bike checks, such as horn and suspension questions

Do I have to go into neutral or can I leave it in gear with clutch in


Naturally, I should be able to answer Laughing But its been ages since I did mine...and I think i blagged my way through mod 1.

I did mine in trainers, but new laws fly in all the time Rolling Eyes
I didnt indicate, but then I didnt really use my shoulder checks that much either.
I got asked how I check the horn and brakes... but cant recall if it was mod 1 or 2.


No
no
no- questions about the vehicle are in mod2.
and no but advised to relieve your hand Smile
____________________
CBT: 12/06/10, Theory: 22/09/10, Module 1: 09/11/10, Module 2: 19/01/11
Past: 1991 Honda CG125BR-J, 1992 (1980) Honda XL125S, 1996 Kawasaki GPZ500S, 1979 MZ TS150.
Current: 1973 MZ ES250/2 - 18k, 1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 10k, 1981 Honda CX500B - 91k, 1987 MZ ETZ250 - 40k, 1989 MZ ETZ251 - 52k.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sidewinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:34 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

1)Do you need to indicate in mod 1 - video says act like you are on the road etc.
Ans: No just shoulder checks a mirrors

2)Do I have to wear boots
Ans: Walking type boots are fine .trainers you will turned away

3)Do they do bike checks, such as horn and suspension questions
Ans: Just tax mot and insurance

4) Do I have to go into neutral or can I leave it in gear with clutch in
Ans: They prefer you to go into neutral
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex_B
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 15 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:34 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

ON my CBT last week the instructor guy stated that "we don't like trainers here but it's not against the law" and so on. There were guys there in trackies and all sorts of thin clothing btw.

Anyway, the point is he made a statement which went along the lines of:

"More and more examiners will now not let you take a test in trainers and jeans and what have you. He said, most don't worry about jeans (as such) in particular as long as you have upper body protection and boots"

He seemed pretty adamant that it's a rule they are bringing in although it will probably be law.

I'd love an instructor or Examiner here to comment Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:13 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSA reminds motorcycle test candidates to wear suitable clothing

The DSA arbitrarily denied access to a service and created a duty of care for themselves because they're spackers, and wrote:

Tests won’t go ahead if you are inappropriately dressed

From 1 July, examiners might tell you that your test won’t go ahead if you arrive inappropriately dressed. However, where possible, examiners will give you the chance to find suitable clothing within the time available.

DSA won’t pay out-of-pocket expenses if your test is cancelled because of inappropriate clothing.

As a general guide the following is an indication of the minimum level of clothing acceptable:

motorcycle boots
sturdy footwear or boots that provide support and ankle protection
textile or leather motorcycle trousers
heavy denim trousers
heavy denim jacket with several layers underneath
textile or leather motorcycle jacket
motorcycle gloves

The following are examples of clothing that are not acceptable:

lightweight training shoes
canvas basket ball trainers
any form of clothing with areas of exposed skin
shell suit or lightweight tracksuit
distressed ripped jeans
lightweight fleece or hoody
no gloves or skiing gloves


My view is that they're on a sticky contractual wicket, while at the same time making a rod for the HSE to beat them with, but that's the situation at the moment.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...

Say textile jacket, textile trousers, gloves, skid lid and skate trainers.. by skate trainers I mean https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=etnies+metal+mulisha#q=etnies+metal+mulisha&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&ei=N8tgTs2PJq_Y4QSFoa19&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CGEQzAMwAA&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=8d62c02e854e292d&biw=1440&bih=785

Is he ok with that... or is it advised he wears boots.. reason being he doesnt have boots Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sidewinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:45 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recomend for him to wear boots.less chance of him getting turned away.Can you not lend him yours for an hour whilst he does his test?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wibbles
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:51 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about the neutral thing, I was told by my instructor - if asked once to put it in neutral, make sure to have it in neutral every time he/she approaches you.

Turns out I got an examiner that wanted neutral after every instruction Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:01 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidewinder wrote:
I recomend for him to wear boots.less chance of him getting turned away.Can you not lend him yours for an hour whilst he does his test?


[bravemode]
I ride in trainers
[/bravemode]

Yea... I've ridden in trainers for years...so cant loan him my boots Laughing I did get a light grilling when dropping brother for CBT on a GSXR1000 with full gear minus the boots Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sam_Y_93
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:15 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indicators no but loads of shoulder checks, one over each shoulder before pulling off and after stopping.

Trainers seems to have changes, I did mine in trainers. Can't he go out and get a pair of cheap hiking boots from sports world or something?
____________________
Bikes Past: Yamaha Aerox (sold) Yamaha R125 (written off)
Bikes Current: Honda VFR 400 (awaiting restoration) Honda CB600f F-4
Theory passed July 21st Mod1 passed August 3rd Mod 2 passed 26th August
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Redoko
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:30 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidewinder wrote:
1)Do you need to indicate in mod 1 - video says act like you are on the road etc.
Ans: No just shoulder checks a mirrors

2)Do I have to wear boots
Ans: Walking type boots are fine .trainers you will turned away

3)Do they do bike checks, such as horn and suspension questions
Ans: Just tax mot and insurance

4) Do I have to go into neutral or can I leave it in gear with clutch in
Ans: They prefer you to go into neutral


I wasn't turned away.
____________________
"Let's face it, this is not the worst thing you've caught me doing."
Sudika Sportsman SK50QT > Gilera DNA50 > Honda CBR125 RW7 > Kawasaki Zephyr750 > Suzuki GSXR600 > Honda Hornet CB600F '51
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Biker Alex
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 18 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:40 - 02 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need to indicate in mod 1 - video says act like you are on the road etc.

No

Do I have to wear boots

I did my mod 2 in trainers, failed and they released a new rule saying you must wear decent protective gear.

on the 2nd- Went in a pair of £10 work boots, textile jacket, gloves and just to make sure they would not turn me away for jeans I wore high vis waterproof bottoms over my jeans (it was raining anyway)

Do they do bike checks, such as horn and suspension questions

->Mod 2

Do I have to go into neutral or can I leave it in gear with clutch in

My examiner kept asking me to go into N. I doubt they will be happy if you say no or if you can not do it.


____________________
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.15 Sec - Server Load: 0.89 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 79.35 Kb