|
|
| Author |
Message |
| crocodilukdf |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 crocodilukdf L Plate Warrior
Joined: 02 Nov 2011 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hazza |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hazza World Chat Champion
Joined: 28 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 09:34 - 03 Nov 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Is the bike on perfectly level ground and on the centre stand when you check the levels? I only ask because mine shows empty on the side stand and very low on a slight incline one the centre stand
As said though 10w/40 tesco oil is fine. ____________________ 3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robby Dirty Old Man

Joined: 16 May 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 09:51 - 03 Nov 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm slightly concerned that the oil level would be that low on a bike you have just bought, and presumably ridden for 200 miles or less. Even the silliest of sellers would make sure that the oil level is correct for a bike they are selling, which would point at the bike leaking or burning oil.
Top it up to the correct level, making sure that the bike is on level ground, then keep an eye on the oil level to make sure that it isn't dropping.
To my knowledge those engines aren't known for burning oil, and are tough, so a more likely cause would be a leak, most likely from the sump plug if someone didn't replace the crush washer.
Good bike to learn a bit of spannering on, seeing as you mentioned taking it to a garage. Simple bike, accessible, cheap parts, and you can get a Haynes manual. Someone that lives nearby will probably be happy to walk you through a service. Far cheaper than going to a garage, and you can find out which bits need particular attention from browsing this forum. From memory, the important bit to check is the welds around the headstock, which have been known to crack following crash damage. Not a nice thing to find, but an even less nice thing to find out about while you're sliding down the road. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| crocodilukdf |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 crocodilukdf L Plate Warrior
Joined: 02 Nov 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:16 - 03 Nov 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
I already bought a Haynes manual, but .... i'm still taking it to a garage because when I take my hands off the handlebars it pulls slighty to the left. And I want them to check it for the first time just to make sure its safe to ride. And the oil level, when the bike is leveled... I can barely see the oil, I have to lean in opposite to the sidestand just to see the oil. I will take a better look today, but I don't think its leaking oil, because I should see some marks in the driveway where it sits. I know I didn't checked it when I bought it..... i was a sucker and got fooled buying my first bike Now I have to do some work to it..... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 10:19 - 03 Nov 2011 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
It is an old engine design and the oil original specified would be a very obsolete grade. A basic 4 stroke engine oil of the right viscosity will be fine.
As to the low oil level, how low? The only warning light you have is the oil pressure warning light, and the job of that is pretty much to just tell you that you have already wrecked your engine. Do not even contemplate riding the bike with the oil warning light illuminated.
All the best
Keith ____________________ Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 14 years, 338 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|