Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Poor runing at high speed - Suzuki Bandit 600

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

birbal
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 07 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:19 - 01 Nov 2011    Post subject: Poor runing at high speed - Suzuki Bandit 600 Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

First of all I would like to mention that my mechanical skills and knowledge are not so great. I’m specialized in electronics.
So the problem is Suzuki GSF 600S Bandit 2001 K2. At the end of August 2011 I have changed the entire exhaust system (I don’t know if is relevant to my problem): new downpipes, new link pipe and new Beowulf silencer. After this operation I could feel the difference, in speed, power and of course different sound.
About three weeks ago it started to lose power at high speed (above 40-50 mph) and also there is a weird sound but I can’t figure where it came from and also I don’t know if I can describe it (maybe I will try to make a video in a few days, if I can record the difference). The thing is that when I start the bike in the morning, everything is absolutely fine...no weird sound, no difference in power. After about 3-4 miles of riding it starting to lose power if I keep it over 40mph, over 5-6k and the sounds appear. I mean I’m still able to drive it but is not normal...it doesn’t have that ‘thrill’ anymore.
What I’ve done so far:
- Check and clean the air filter
- Check and clean the spark plugs that are in very good condition
- Tight all the bolts on downpipes
- Check the oil level
The problem is still there and I don’t understand when the engine is cold, everything is perfect...after 2-3 miles, is not so great.
Does anyone have any idea?
Thanks!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:19 - 02 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the exhaust the only thing "non standard" , have you changed the air filter as well to a K&N or whatever also ??.
A Bandit is usually OK and copes with either an aftermarket can or air filter but will be a bit lean if both are done, a freer flowing set of downpipes.link and endcan can be a bit much as well .
Leanish running usually sounds and feels "crisper" at first then you can suffer a bit with it running too hot, if it's way too lean you'll damage valves etc.
Have a look at your plugs again to check their condition which should give you a pointer, with you changing the whole exhaust system may have been too much and it needs rejetting. A dyno run would let you know for sure.

If you're happy with fuelling then it could be on the electrical side, HT leads,caps,coils etc breaking down when everything gets hotter.
____________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not quite so sure.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

birbal
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 07 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:08 - 02 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bezzer wrote:
Is the exhaust the only thing "non standard" , have you changed the air filter as well to a K&N or whatever also ??.


AS far as I know, the exhaust is the only thing non standard. Also the air filter was K&N and I treat it with K&N air filter cleaner/recharger kit even that it was pretty clean. So there wasn't any change in the air filter.

I think I will go very soon for a dyno run to see where is the problem.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:25 - 02 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor running when the machine warms up usually means you are running rich.

Often caused by one or more of the following:
Blocked air filter
incorrect float height
dirty float needle/seat
worn float needle/seat
worn emulsion tube
faulty float

one of these is a likely culprit.
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:20 - 02 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

birbal wrote:
[AS far as I know, the exhaust is the only thing non standard. Also the air filter was K&N and I treat it with K&N air filter cleaner/recharger kit even that it was pretty clean. So there wasn't any change in the air filter.

I think I will go very soon for a dyno run to see where is the problem.


Dyno run will be wise, as I said exhaust and an aftermarket filter ,which you do have, will certainly make it run lean.
____________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not quite so sure.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

birbal
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 07 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:22 - 03 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temeluchus wrote:
Poor running when the machine warms up usually means you are running rich.


I had today the Dyno run and like you said is running rich. There is a lot of fuel but no so much air, and the AFR ratio is far below the normal limit. I will leave it next week in service coz adjustments on carbs are far beyond my mechanical knowledge.

Thanks everyone for your ideas!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:06 - 03 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Thumbs Up , at least you aren't damaging it as such running rich, weird though full exhaust and a K&N should allow a fair bit more air in, most have to rejet to if they do that. K&N isn't overoiled is it??.
____________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not quite so sure.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:28 - 04 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its probably shit in the float valve or a worn out needle.
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 5.35 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 58.26 Kb