Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Seat Covers, any stories?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:01 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Seat Covers, any stories? Reply with quote

Time for Big Zed to benefit from some winter fettling and high on the list is a seat refurb.

The previous owner sourced and fitted a new base, but put the old foam and cover back on, for some unknown reason, so the cover has a couple of splits and the duct tape isn't doing it anymore.

I can find replacement covers from various sources, ranging in price from £20-£40 and a couple of places can do new foams as well, but don't list prices.

Has anyone got any experience of buying and fitting covers, either testimonials or horror stories?

Any guidance would be much appreciated Thumbs Up
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:06 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old leather jacket from a charity shop. Try for one that doesn't have a seam down the middle of the back.

Remove the lining and push the point of the saddle up towards the collar area. Fix it down to the base with either staples or pop-rivetts and washers. Work round symetrically, pulling it over the seat and fixing it down until you're covered then cut off the excess.

For foam. Get a block of high density, closed cell foam from an upholsterers (closed cell doesn't soak up water like a sponge). Stick it to the base and cut to shape with an electric carving knife.

EDIT: A mate of mine once covered his Z650 saddle using an old tractor inner tube. Shoved the whole saddle in, stapled it to the base and cut off the excess. It was oddly confidence inspiring for riding pillion on because your arse didn't move at all. You could sit there quite happily with your hands on your knees.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:18 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea, but if you'd ever seen me hacking up a Sunday roast, you'd know that me and electric carving knives don't go together ("One lump of beef or two, Vicar?"); this is also the reason why I buy my bread pre-sliced.

However, I have successfully fitted new foams and covers to car seats, so I'm looking for tales of pattern parts, who to buy from, or who to avoid.
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marmalade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:18 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

bought a cover for a pan euro via ebay.

Decent quality and fitted great.

Pull it round and staple it under the base.

Saved many pennies
____________________
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:24 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is more like it, any idea who you bought it from, Marmalade?
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marmalade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:31 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not.

I didn't go with the cheapest one.

Could have been this seller

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-seat-cover-Honda-ST1100-Pan-European-/160426174043?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item255a25265b#ht_500wt_1054
____________________
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

elgard
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 20 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:29 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a cover from this guy on ebay for my DR650.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-SUZUKI-YAMAHA-KAWASAKI-SEAT-COVERING-/140641603380?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item20bee48f34

I has a few problems getting it fitted to begin with, Until i wrote to see if had any tips and he couldn't help enough.

The seller is not my father, brother or second cousin removed before anyone asked, Just a decent guy who is happy to help and i would recommend.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:54 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links chaps.

@Marmalade, unfortunately that chap doesn't do a cover for mine.

@elgard, not quite as straightforward as that, my seat base is steel, so no staples for me. I haven't looked closely, but there must be some kind of tight fitting clip arrangement, which I'm guessing will be mainly rotten by now.

If anyone has any other experiences, feel free to add Thumbs Up
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Snodvan
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 22 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:02 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked my seat up from the recoverers today. I had a full foam replacement/ reshape (raising the seat height as I wanted as the seat is low on the BMW CS) and a recover in two-tone black with black piping. £150. I could have had any colours but wanted black.

Looks good and a quick "sit on" indicates it seems comfy. No ride yet as I only arrived back home at 5pm - and with the c*** weather predicted I will not ride for a bit yet. I will post up a pic in due course.

https://www.motorcycleseatworks.co.uk/home.html

Snodvan
____________________
04 (UK Reg) BMW F650cs, but really 02 first Reg in Holland
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:29 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I re-covered the RXS100 seat in 2006 I found that the steel seat pan had little triangular teeth all around the edge. The idea being to stretch the seat fabric into place, hook it over the teeth and bend the teeth down to lock it in place.

I found a decent seat base on Fleabay and sprayed it top and bottom with Hammerite. I re-used the original foam and bought a cheap replacement cover from https://www.patternparts.net/ (was before I discovered Wemoto).

The cover came with a big “YAMAHA” in white across the back that would have been half covered by the seat trim so I removed it with some isopropyl alcohol and elbow grease.
____________________
2007 CBF1000 & 2016 CBF1000F - Commuter heaven | 1994 CBR600FR - Awaiting defibrillation
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:20 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The twice (so far) I have had to have seats re-covered I decided against trying to DIY as I am totally ham-fisted. Embarassed

I went to a small local upholsterer. For the first one (seat for my ZL400 Eliminator) the original foam and cover were both shot, so I basically took him the seat base and teh sad remains of the original so he could see what it had looked like. He provided new foam and a new cover that looked fine and charged me £40 for the lot.

The second time was the seat for my Zeph, it was in good order but I needed it cutting down to help lower the bike to assist with my shortarsery. This time he took off the original cover, cut and reshaped the foam then put the original cover back on to fit to the new foam shape, cost me £15.

Both times I had the seats back in under a week. Smile

To give you an idea of the standard of his work, this was the 400 with the original seat:

https://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a229/Yambabe/ZL400002.jpg

and this is what it looked like after restoration:

https://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a229/Yambabe/Jul06075.jpg

similarly this was the seat on the zeph when I first got it:

https://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a229/Yambabe/IMAG0364.jpg

and this was after it was cut down:

https://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a229/Yambabe/10062007103.jpg

So basically my advice would be to have a look around locally and see if you can find an upholsterer with a few spare hours!
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Snodvan
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 22 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:39 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snodvan wrote:
I picked my seat up from the recoverers today. I had a full foam replacement/ reshape (raising the seat height as I wanted as the seat is low on the BMW CS) and a recover in two-tone black with black piping. £150. I could have had any colours but wanted black.

Looks good and a quick "sit on" indicates it seems comfy. No ride yet as I only arrived back home at 5pm - and with the c*** weather predicted I will not ride for a bit yet. I will post up a pic in due course.

https://www.motorcycleseatworks.co.uk/home.html

Snodvan

____________________
04 (UK Reg) BMW F650cs, but really 02 first Reg in Holland
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:17 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ That's a nice looking job, but, at the risk of sounding a tightarse, the price tag caused me to have a sharp intake of breath.

I think what I'm going to do is risk 30 quid on a cover and have a go myself, if I fail, it's look out for a local upholsterer who is prepared to clear up the mess.

Look out for a show n tell thread soon and thanks for everyone's input Thumbs Up Karma
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Snodvan
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 22 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:32 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was tempted to do the same ie get a tailored seat cover, some PROPER foam, and do it myself. I have a leccy stapler which would be ideal. However, the job was done as a chrissy present for me so I am not complaining. I worked out that to have a seat cover tailored ie sewn panels with piping, would have cost around £80 from the local car seat uphosterer. Add the foam cost of £15 maybe for a closed cell type and in effect that leaves £50 as the fitting cost as all I would save, but then I have the "buggeration factor".

I could have simply recovered the original CS seat ie no foam change/ resculpturing, for around £20 or so but while that would have given me a non-slip seat it would not have improved the comfort.

Snod
____________________
04 (UK Reg) BMW F650cs, but really 02 first Reg in Holland
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:43 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the old Xmas pressy ploy, anything is easy to justify when someone else is doing the coughing up Wink

Fortunately, I don't have a comfort problem with mine, just a tatty cover, so I'm hoping the foam will go again, maybe with a new plastic membrane.

In other news, my painter at work has decided he wants to play with some custom paint, so guess who gets the free paint job Very Happy Very Happy

Poor bike won't know whats hit it!
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:57 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, no it was an 18".
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:52 - 14 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saddle on the Badger is made out of a knee length leather skirt I purchased from a French prostitute.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:15 - 14 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Nice idea, but if you'd ever seen me hacking up a Sunday roast, you'd know that me and electric carving knives don't go together ("One lump of beef or two, Vicar?"); this is also the reason why I buy my bread pre-sliced.

However, I have successfully fitted new foams and covers to car seats, so I'm looking for tales of pattern parts, who to buy from, or who to avoid.


There is NO secret to carving/slicing meat/s.
You MUST invest in a good quality CARVING knife (and the fork to match).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salter-719-Carving-Knife-Fork/dp/B002BSXZR4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323857109&sr=8-1
£29.95.
This will repay itself after only one Roast Beef/Chicken or Current Seasonal Fayre, Turkey.
Remember to always allow the meat to stand (in it's juices) for at least 20 minutes after hoi-ing out the oven.
The meat fibers will relax and soak up the juices which gives a nice moist meat.
Allow the razor sharp edge to do the work and only use firm pressure to guide the blade.
Look after your Instruments/Tools use a knife rack/block. Banging about in a drawer will damage/dull the edge.

As for upholstering bike seats.... Piece of cake if you do your homework. Main thing is you can tailor the fit/padding for your arse.
____________________
W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:30 - 14 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do it yourself then a key point is to get the cover nice and warm beffore you start tugging it around, helps it stretch when fitting and stops it going baggy afterwards. It's easy if you just take your time.
____________________
https://www.metacafe.com/watch/1972097/how_to_behave_on_a_forum/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:43 - 14 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I had to copy one of my old posts, I have no idea how to link to an actual post, anyone?

Marki wrote:
Seat next.
Go back a few post and you'll see that the original cover was cracked, ripped and generally unusable. Same posts will show that I found a cover that looked like a pretty good fit and me a couple of parts from my scrap pile.
https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/marki_03/GS125/oldseat.jpg

For starters leave the replacement cover in a nice warm room for a as long as possible. Warm vinyl will stretch quite nicely making things easier for you. While the vinyl is warming strip the old cover off. The new cover will only look as good as what is underneath it so any tidying of the seat base or foam should be done now. There is nothing wrong with adding bits of foam, just use double sided tape or similar to hold it in place while you work on it.

Fortunately this wasn't too bad. Some water damage and a bit of cracking.

https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/marki_03/GS125/eatstrip.jpg

Assemble the seat and put the cover on loosely. Ignore the sides for now and try matching up the beaded edge at the front with the seat edge.
When its where you want it to be bang your first staple in.
https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/marki_03/GS125/firststaple.jpg

https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/marki_03/GS125/seattop.jpg

Now flip the seat over and line up any design so that it runs symmetrically down the seat. Spend a bit of time doing this and the rest is easy.
https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/marki_03/GS125/straightcheck.jpg

When your happy with the result stick a few more staples in the front to help take the load for the next bit.
Now the big secret to trimming a seat is to give it a good tug. Your, hopefully, working with heavy duty material so it can take it. If its warm enough it will give a little, helping you stretch it around the awkward bits. Work on a few inches at a time, pulling upwards (assuming the base is facing you), and slightly backwards at the same time. Keep switching from left to right to ensure any bagginess is taken out. Turn it over regularly to see how it looks. If it doesn't look like its forming around the foam then your not pulling hard enough. Keep the tension on when putting the staples in. If you get a particularly awkward piece then try warming it up with an hair dryer, it will help it stretch.

Eventually it should look something like this.

https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/marki_03/GS125/fin3.jpg
Turning it over and you can see how many staples I've used. Don't skimp on them, they cost next to nothing and keep everything in place.
https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/marki_03/GS125/fin2.jpg

____________________
https://www.metacafe.com/watch/1972097/how_to_behave_on_a_forum/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 295 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.35 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 138.42 Kb