|
|
| Author |
Message |
| james1988 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 james1988 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 May 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Shaft |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Shaft World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Dec 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 03:04 - 02 Feb 2012 Post subject: Re: GS550 and GSX400 |
 |
|
| james1988 wrote: | Hello,
Sorry for sounding stupid but do the Suzuki GS550 and GSX400 use the same frame? I have the opportunity to rebuild a GS550 (all I need is the frame and a few other bits) as a mate has been collecting bits over the years but now can't afford to finish it off. The reason I ask is because I've seen them both referred to as the 'Katana'. There's a frame listed on ebay with the V5 but is listed as a GSX400 Katana frame and from the pictures it doesn't look any different to the frame for a GS550 - to me anyway.
Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks, James |
If you're talking about the bikes from the mid 80s, AFAIK, they don't share the same frame.
There was a Katana version of the GS550, which used the same frame as the standard GS550E, but different bodywork.
The GSX400F was smaller, lighter and never marketed as a Katana in this country, although it used similar styling cues as the rest of the range; it was called a Katana elsewhere though, and there were quite a few grey import bikes which had Katana in the model name on the V5 and that has lead to the GSX being called a Katana here.
That's my understanding and memory, no doubt somebody will correct me, if I'm wrong. ____________________ Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| nowhere.elysium |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nowhere.elysium The Pork Lord

Joined: 02 Mar 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 08:10 - 02 Feb 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
No. The label 'Katana' was applied to a lot of Suzuki vehicles, ranging from an 1100 to a 50. I've found out (the entertaining way) that a lot of Suzuki's vehicles from that era don't share much by way of chassis components.
It'd be helpful if you listed the years that you're looking at, as well; the GSX line has been subject to a lot of changes over its lifetime. ____________________ '10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tenko |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tenko Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 09 Jul 2011 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| james1988 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 james1988 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 May 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| nowhere.elysium |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nowhere.elysium The Pork Lord

Joined: 02 Mar 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| temeluchus |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 temeluchus World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| nowhere.elysium |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nowhere.elysium The Pork Lord

Joined: 02 Mar 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tenko |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tenko Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 09 Jul 2011 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| james1988 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 james1988 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 May 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:37 - 03 Feb 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Quick update. I bought a frame of eBay, no documents but the frame number is intact and it comes with the registration plate. I phoned the breakers yard where it's coming from and he's assured me it's straight. With any luck I'll have a project thread up in the workshop section next week.
James |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| james1988 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 james1988 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 May 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:22 - 05 Feb 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Balls, after doing my own HPI check it appears the VIN and VRM don't match and there is a mileage discrepancy. In 1999 it was recorded as having done 64k miles and in 2007 it had done 22k (I suppose this could be a number of things like a change of clocks but I now have a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach).
The reg plate has not been reported as stolen, written off or anything else.
Any words of wisdom BCF?
James
*Edit*
I think the seller has cocked up and given me the model number not the VIN as it's only 11 characters instead of 17. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Suntan Sid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Suntan Sid World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 May 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:52 - 05 Feb 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
| james1988 wrote: | Balls, after doing my own HPI check it appears the VIN and VRM don't match and there is a mileage discrepancy. In 1999 it was recorded as having done 64k miles and in 2007 it had done 22k (I suppose this could be a number of things like a change of clocks but I now have a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach).
The reg plate has not been reported as stolen, written off or anything else.
Any words of wisdom BCF?
James
*Edit*
I think the seller has cocked up and given me the model number not the VIN as it's only 11 characters instead of 17. |
There is always the possibility that in the 8 years it did another 58k and went round the clock!  ____________________ "Everybody needs money, that's why they call it money!"  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| james1988 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 james1988 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 May 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:54 - 05 Feb 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Suntan Sid wrote: | | james1988 wrote: | Balls, after doing my own HPI check it appears the VIN and VRM don't match and there is a mileage discrepancy. In 1999 it was recorded as having done 64k miles and in 2007 it had done 22k (I suppose this could be a number of things like a change of clocks but I now have a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach).
The reg plate has not been reported as stolen, written off or anything else.
Any words of wisdom BCF?
James
*Edit*
I think the seller has cocked up and given me the model number not the VIN as it's only 11 characters instead of 17. |
There is always the possibility that in the 8 years it did another 58k and went round the clock!  |
I was thinking as the mileage wasn't recorded that it had been SORN'd or the equivalent as I thought it was compulsory on MOT's (I'm probably wrong though). Basically I'm just paranoid I've bought something that's been nicked after doing that HPI check. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Shaft |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Shaft World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Dec 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:04 - 06 Feb 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
First thing to remember is, HPI records are not 100% accurate, not even 99% accurate, in my experience.
You assume correctly, there is no obligation to register mileage when you change keeper, but it would appear on MOTs, so you can get the details on that, but you have to pay a fee to get MOT history (only a fiver, I think).
I would think mileage discrepancies are quite common on bikes, especially when they are that age; accident damage, instrument failure or a previous owner ditching the original clocks, in favour of something trendier, are all possibilities.
If you've been given the wrong number to check, that explains why they can't tie it to the VRM, but the fact that the VRM is clear, is a good start.
How much are you paying for the frame and are they reputable breakers? ____________________ Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| james1988 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 james1988 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 May 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Shaft |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Shaft World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Dec 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:33 - 06 Feb 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Frankly, for that money I wouldn't be too worried; if he's got the new keeper supplement, all well and good, if not, apply for a duplicate V5 before you do anything else, so you don't waste any time and money working on a bike you can't get paperwork for. ____________________ Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 14 years, 241 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|