BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kawasaki er5

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Charlie0560
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 13 Apr 2012    Post subject: Kawasaki er5 Reply with quote

I've seen an immaculate er5 in a local dealership at a fair price with low mileage.
Am thinking of doing a test ride, but so far have been put off by some poor comments on the bike from some mates.

Anyone out there got any proper objective comments on the bike?

What's it good for? Commuting only? Jack of all trades?? Only any good as a "first big bike"???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fowlersrs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 13 Apr 2012    Post subject: Re: Kawasaki er5 Reply with quote

Charlie0560 wrote:
I've seen an immaculate er5 in a local dealership at a fair price with low mileage.
Am thinking of doing a test ride, but so far have been put off by some poor comments on the bike from some mates.

Anyone out there got any proper objective comments on the bike?

What's it good for? Commuting only? Jack of all trades?? Only any good as a "first big bike"???

Well put it this way, my training centre uses 2 of them for DAS, and are buying another 2 and getting them restricted when the new rules come in, so theyre prettty robust and cheap to use, oh and easy to ride..

flumpy7
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:38 - 13 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty dull though.

If you must get a 500 twin go for the gpz - more highly tuned and looks better.

However, for a little bit extra cash you can get yourself a 400,600 or if you fancy a v-twin, maybe an sv. All a bit more fun.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 13 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do 450 miles a week on my ER5 - it's a cheap and cheerful workhorse IMO. Water cooled so it can handle slow moving traffic without overheating too.
I've had a few niggles with mine (side stand switch, chain snapped, regulator/rectifier died...twice - now replaced with an uprated unit) - other than that it's been a solid performer considering the mileage. It's not exciting to ride and once it hits 60 the acceleration tails waaaaay off.
If you want it for weekend fun, then look elsewhere - but if you want something reliable for commuting then you can't go far wrong.

flumpy7
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:42 - 13 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've had a few niggles with mine (chain snapped)

Unlikely to be the bikes fault lol Wink

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 13 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

flumpy7 wrote:
Quote:
I've had a few niggles with mine (chain snapped)

Unlikely to be the bikes fault lol Wink

Wasn't my car's fault either, but if I were to pick I'd blame the bike Wink
(Yes I did/do oil it!)
But that's my point really - there's not much to moan about the bike.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 13 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have my old ER5 back. I loved it.

Great bike, parts are cheap, excellent mpg, I often got more than 70 miles to the gallon. Low seat height, it has a centre stand so adjusting and lubing your chain are easier than any new bike.

I had the rectifier issue and I also had the rear wheel go oval with it's drum brake.

Try it.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 13 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
I'd have my old ER5 back. I loved it.

Great bike, parts are cheap, excellent mpg, I often got more than 70 miles to the gallon. Low seat height, it has a centre stand so adjusting and lubing your chain are easier than any new bike.

I had the rectifier issue and I also had the rear wheel go oval with it's drum brake.

Try it.

Ah yeah, I've had a new rear wheel too, oval drum issue! Delkevic sell brand new ones on eBay for £130, not worth getting a 2nd hand one because they seem to go for £60+ (and are probably worn out)
The new regulator is far superior to the old one - a guy makes them over on the Bikersoracle ER5 forum and charges just over £100. Runs cool to the touch (the old shunt design gets hot) and has a direct connection to the generator. I have a voltmeter installed on the dashboard and the voltage is rock solid

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 14 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea is the volt meter.

My bulb blew, then I put another in and it blew. Then I put a pound shop one in and it didn't.

Then I thought i'd better test the volts, sure enough it was pumping out 15volts under heavy revs. You have to be really careful because you can blow all the electrics.

I can't remember which I got, I think I got one from Wemoto.

Great replacement wheels by the way, I just checked them out on ebay. Tbh I do prefer now having rear brake pads, a lot easier to change.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:11 - 14 Apr 2012    Post subject: Re: Kawasaki er5 Reply with quote

Charlie0560 wrote:
but so far have been put off by some poor comments on the bike from some mates.

Have they've owned one, or are they going by it not being recommended by Speed Jizz Power Ranger Monthly?

Reg/rec over-voltage does seem to be an inherent issue, as usual BCF has some advice.

How immaculate and fair are we talking? Nobody's going to snipe it if you post a link.

dan_flash
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:19 - 14 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth I bought mine cheap and had to put a little bit of work in to get it up-to-scratch, but now I couldn't be happier.

Cheap MPG, insurance, enough power for me, happy to ride 2 up, low seat, solid all round ride.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:29 - 14 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a link to the uprated reg/rec I'm talking about - Mudplug is the guy who puts them together (I believe he's a member here too)
After the first one went I bought a 2nd from eBay for around £75 and fitted a cheap voltmeter (about £4 from eBay for an LED waterproof one), after about 2 or 3 weeks the voltage started creeping up to 17 volts again. I fitted the upgraded one in December and it's been as good as gold since.

https://www.bikersoracle.com/er5/forum/showthread.php?t=5927

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:32 - 14 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's not worth it, as others said, only few extra pounds and you can have a lot of better bikes, GPz500 or CB500, or whatever in-line four around this displacement.

ER5 is cheap, its brakes, suspension, even the fuel cap, but it has very reliable engine.

I've got some experience with '99 CB500 and its fuel consumption was amazing, brembo brakes were also great and the fact that it's a honda makes it even better. It has great reliable engine with 44kw. Just change the oil and fill up the tank and you'd be careless 125mph rocket on the road. Take the brembo brakes version only. The older type has less power and drum brake in rear wheel.

FerretFing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 14 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, solid reliable bike - ideal for 1st big bike....a dealer is going to want way too much, I'd not pay more than £1k for a mint one no matter how new/mileage, go private imo...they are not exactly rare bikes Thumbs Up

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 14 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold mine with a long MOT and 35k on the clock for £850.

It was in a good condition, but it probably would have needed a new exhaust in a couple of months.

Tbh I think I sold it too cheap the phone didn't stop ringing.

flumpy7
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:32 - 14 Apr 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have they've owned one, or are they going by it not being recommended by Speed Jizz Power Ranger Monthly?

Cant speak for the op's mates but i had one for 2 years. I was bored after a week....getting on it had the same excitement as getting in a car. Just my pennies worth.

Its nout to do with speed or power either. All of the commuter 500's will beat most cars off the lights and sit at 100mph on the motorway. They're just.....how shall i put it......safe. A bit like a nissan micra. I'd rather have an old superdream if funds were the issue.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 13 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1