Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dirty Bandit Turbo. Added sound file...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
210 horsepower?
Is that it? Laughing Wink

MOAR! MOAR! MOAR!

You would shit yourself with 21 horsepower Laughing

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:59 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonesie wrote:
Alpha-9 wrote:
210 horsepower?
Is that it? Laughing Wink

MOAR! MOAR! MOAR!

You would shit yourself with 21 horsepower Laughing

probably Wink

So what kind of MPG would you get out that badboy? Like 5? Laughing

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't turbo and worry about MPG Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:51 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:

Still probably get about 25-30 off boost.

On...

Who cares, its then measured in credit cards per mile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ShaunCG
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:08 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a death trap lol

Why would you want to put a turbo on that?

I think that would be unrideable in the wet

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:15 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaunCG wrote:
That is a death trap lol

Why would you want to put a turbo on that?

Because a turbo bandit is great.

Not unrideable at all. Its only 200hp at the wheels which isn't much higher than a few tuned bikes... and nothing on some cars.

Boost will come in after he has pulled away anyway... but yes, he could probably get the wheel spinning in much higher gears should he wish.

It is a good bike to do it to, big enough following. All bikes are death traps according to women, this one just sounds better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ShaunCG
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:24 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine the boost, would you have to chain your arms to the bars LOL

I remember the power valve on a honda nsr & rs 125, now that is what you call boost LOL

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe I missed this thread Shocked Very cool stuff Thumbs Up 210bhp Shocked

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:

Um, from my rough calculations it'll chump a gallon of 99 octane in about 16 miles, mixed riding with a few pulls. On boost it's pushing 40 psi of fuel into dumb carbs that'll swallow anything they can steal from the regulator.

Quote:
I'm jizzing over this bike. You did a cracking job on it man

Thank you, but it's nowhere near finished yet. I mean it probably won't ever be 'finished' as such, but i've got bodywork, swingarm extension, clutch work and other little bits and pieces to do yet. I'm happy with the running of it now though, and it seems (touch wood) to be reliable.

Quote:
I was on the IOW yesterday and I have no idea where you can open up that bike anywhere. The place is the size of a shoe and 30/40 limits and speed cameras

To be frank, a 600 is wasted on the Island. As Paddy said the Mili is a good road to hit, you can sit up the black gang (not a racial slur, it's called that lol) viewpoint and wait for the cop car to go past on a sunday, give it ten minutes and you can hit it at a decent speed. Laughing I'm building this as a hobby and something I enjoy, with an eye to doing RWYB events and hitting Elvington next year when it's a bit more sorted. It will see very limited road use.

Quote:
How much did the turbo set you back if you don’t mind me asking?

3600 covered the labour, fabwork, fitment, tuning and dyno time. It also included shipping the bike back and forth between the ferry terminal in Portsmouth and Sussex twice, a 140 mile round trip for Malcolm. It's a high price to pay, but you would have to spend far more to get 210hp (or the capacity to produce 210hp) out of a naturally aspirated motor, and it wouldn't be anywhere near as useable. I have a friend on the Island with a Bandit 1200 motor bored to 1280cc (1156cc stock) with Viper cams, forged rods and pistons in a Gix 750 frame that lays down 167hp at the rear wheel. It is tuned for top end and has very little down low, big flatspot at 2k rpm then a huge hit about 7k at which point the bike takes off and tries to spit you. It is far more scary than the turbo.

Other thing is, if this motor blows, it's a standard motor. I can just get another one off E-bay or from a breakers for cheap, install a second base gasket and transfer the turbo gear over. A built N/A motor is going to be a hellaload more expensive than that to replace.

Limit for this particular turbo is 300hp on race fuel. Chances are the pistons would all get together and have a party in the middle of the motor before it got very far though.

Quote:

Ride sensibly and it's not bad. It's 8.5-1 compression ratio so off boost it's more mellow than a normal bandit. I've been riding for 8 years now, and I don't feel outside my comfort zone at all. Well, maybe once or twice. It can surprise you Laughing

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7906/48459510151105441353485.jpg

https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2646/54036310151105362223485.jpg

https://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1930/54043610151105364373485.jpg

https://img99.imageshack.us/img99/8255/54959910151105448253485.jpg

https://img528.imageshack.us/img528/5827/19004410151105440613485.jpg

some pics I had lying around on my computer, but never posted. Only thing different about it now is a set of probolt gold engine bolts and it doesn't need the drip tray anymore Laughing

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this bike Smile

Excluding the purchase cost of the bike... how much has it all cost you if you don't mind me asking? Smile

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, never added it up. Most parts are scrimped and scraped together cheap off Ebay or from breakers. List of new parts fitted/mods since it came into my ownership are:

Carbon lorraine pads
5.1 brake fluid
M/C reservoir fitment
Dommies + brackets
Airblade screen
Clutch slave cylinder rebuild
Chain and sprockets
Turbo
Barnett clutch
Ignition
WP rear shock
Shock linkage rebuild
Every chassis and wheel bearing replaced
Battery
Probolt kit
New tyres

Parts waiting to go on:
Swingarm extentions
Pingel fuel tap
Gix thou rim + spacers
MTC lock up
Modified tail fairings
R1 style undertray

So it's not been that cheap, but not necessarily as expensive as it may seem as I did most of the work. Biggest expense was the turbo by far, as I couldn't do that myself. The build cost has recently gone up considerably, the MTC clutch lock out was £250 and so were the swinger extentions. A Pingel fuel tap will set you back £110. It adds up quickly.

All in all, probably about 6k including the bike and the bits that aren't on there yet.

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 22:31 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the MTC clutch lock out was £250

bloody el' they've gone up since i bought one!

is that for a bandit clutch with the cover spacer plate?

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. The diaphragm clutch version with spacer is (naturally) more expensive lol.

Used to be like £180 didn't it?

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 22:39 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

think so.

mine (for the 1052 coil spring) was like £125

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHR15 wrote:
think so.

mine (for the 1052 coil spring) was like £125

Gah. Blast my lazy timeframe for fulfilling my dream of having a boosted bike. Mad

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 22:44 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, could have a bought a coilspring conversion and a lockup for the price of that one Razz

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:47 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always reckon, if you're building a turbo system on the 'cheap' take your original estimation and multiply the cost by four and the time by ten Very Happy

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Red Devil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a gopro attached to your helmet to show us how it pulls! Thumbs Up
Thundersport Pre-National Sport 600 2014 #92
EMRA Roadstock 600 2013 - 3rd
www.facebook.com/MattJohnstonRacing

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been 7 months so far Laughing I didn't have an estimation so 10X infinity it is!

I'm kind of coming round to the thinking that I'd like to have a pop at doing it myself on another bike. I've built up a decent list of contacts and found some places on the Island that I didn't know were there before, it would be possible to get stuff made and I could source stuff cheaper.

I should probably finish this one first though.

I need a gopro, this is true. Very Happy

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 23:25 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:

How was it getting the gix rear in your bandit? Research would suggest the bearing swap and some custom spacers, that accurate? The gix 1000 forks in yours handle the weight of the bandit any better? It was a nice bike man!

Rear shock, was a bit of a mess around getting it in, but it went in pretty easily.

I kept the Bandit linkage.

I had to remove the centre stand. Then use lower hole in the flange on the bike.
So where the centre stand bolts on, it looks like a couple of "B" Shaped brackets.
The linkage is usually in the top holes.

So remove the captive nuts from the lower holes, then use that to mount the linkage lower in the frame, giving room for the longer GIX 1000 shock.

I cant remember, but I think I may have flipped the linkage upside down too.

And then of course, made some longer (I think) dog bones out of some flat bar.

The forks were massively better than the stock items. For a start, the bars weren't fucking rubber mounted! Laughing

Being shorter, it did make turn-in a little interesting, And yeah, they could of done with being a bit stiffer too, as it felt like the tyre was going to hit the oil cooler on full brake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 07 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a job then! I was actually referring to the rear rim you had fitted to yours. I'm quite happy with the WP I got in mine Laughing

Meanwhile...

https://img571.imageshack.us/img571/464/59903210151239204328485.jpg

Shinies, courtesy of Mr. Upperton.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 07 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ask him to do your pressure-plate buttons? He does it as a free service for people who buy a lockup off him.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 07 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, no, I'll have to email him for set up advice.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:20 - 07 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know when I bought mine either, he told me afterwards when I was talking about it.

The arms press on the face of the pressure plate, and gouge the ally over time. He sets thin steel buttons in the face of the plate for the arms to press against. Never seen a diaphragm one but I guess they should be the same.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 173 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8