Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


ER5 Emulsified oil ............ Then Not.??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Nick_Giles
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 01 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:06 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: ER5 Emulsified oil ............ Then Not.?? Reply with quote

Bit of a mystery here to me that others may be able to cast some light on for me. (Bit of a story but bare with me.)

On Sunday I had been out on my bike to a mate of mines who lives in Mobberley which is about 15 miles from me. On the way back the heavens opened with rain.

During the last mile or so of the journey the engine misfires a dozen or so times. Did not think too much of it and put it down to being an oldish bike and something electrical getting wet.

Sunday night and the weather forecast says it's going to be fine in the morning. I decide on a whim that I shall get up early and go and visit some friends in Abersoch, North Wales for a couple of days on the bike. So set off to a local garage to fill it with petrol ready for a good start in the morning.

Riding it there and back from the petrol station it does a few misfires again.! Sad (not raining now)

Decide when I get back to also check the oil. ( which was changed about 200 miles ago with Castrol) ........... Horror of horrors the oil sight glass is full of emulsified oil.! ....... "Oh f()()k"

Its dark and I decide that perhaps its was not a good idea to ride it to Abersoch the following morning.

I spend the rest of the evening convincing myself at best its a water pump seal or worst a head gasket. Crying or Very sad

Morning time arrives and I decide its time to investigate. Start the bike and there is a little bit of white smoke. Not a lot but noticeable. So its off with the petrol tank (always fun on an ER5 at the best of times but I now have a full one. ) So I can check the coolant.

I am pleasantly surprised that the coolant is full. i.e. none appears to have been gobbled up into the engine. Restart the engine and give it some revs with the coolant filler cap off. It all stays in and does not flood out like it would do if it was being pressurised by a bad head gasket. (I know not a 100% test) While I have the side panels off I also check the air box. Its as clean as a virgins snatch. Wink

I am now encouraged that the previous nights worries in my imagination are possibly unfounded. Very Happy So I put the bike back together.

I then pull some oil from the sump with a syringe and a thin tube. Its clear and clean. But the sight glass is still caked emulsified oil.

I warm the bike properly and check the radiator is getting hot and the fan kicks in ok. Shrug my shoulders and decide to see how it goes. Rolling Eyes

Girlfriend then phones and asks can we go for a ride on 'That nice winding road' What she really means is a trip to the 'Cat and Fiddle' on the Horse Shoe Pass. Her on my old CG and me on the ER5. So we do.

When I get up there the oil and sight glass is super clear. And its been fine since. Surprised

So, what could have caused my original concern and are further investigations into possible doom and gloom required.?


Nick
____________________
Peter Cook: "I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:29 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a sign that something is about to go but fixed itself for a short time. Could be a loose spark plug and water getting in. How is the head? When i got my bike two or three head bolts were needing a good half turn as they worked themself loose. Do you have an oil cooler? check that for leaks. I have ridden in near monsoons and water managed to seep through good gaskets so check and tighten everything. Might have been a one off but keep an eye on it. Was it new oil you put in or a tub that had been sitting in your shed for a while?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:54 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've been doing lots of short trips water has built up in the oil, by doing a long trip up to proper temperatures, you've driven off all the water.
____________________
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:09 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the weather is cool and the bike is used for short runs, the engine oil doesn't get hot enough to boil-off any condensation.

When the weather is warmer and the bike is used for longer runs, the engine oil can get to over 100 degrees - hot enough to boil-off any water that may have gotten in there.

Check your breather hoses, and any pipes that are neither fuel or water, going to carbs and air filter.
____________________
Honda Varadero XL125(V8)
www.TheFutureIsHere.eu
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jimspeed
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:14 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

warm oil and cold air mixing to form condensation, my GPZ does the same (basically same engine) if I use it for work as its only 3 miles and the oil doesn't get hot enough, probly on your 15 mile trip in the rain you were going pretty steady with lowish revs so the engine wouldn't have got as hot.
unless you notice the coolant going anywhere I wouldn't worry too much mate.
____________________
Hyosung cruise 125(passed test on, sold) Kawasaki el 252 (better than expected but sold on) Kawasaki GPZ500S first "big"bike.(sold) ZZR600 E5..Z750 2007,ER5, currently on a 2008 Enfield bullet electra x and loving it..
,"Alpha-9: Is there any correlation between dyno rod and dyno kits?"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nick_Giles
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 01 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:33 - 06 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. Smile

I will just keep an eye on things for a few weeks.



Nick
____________________
Peter Cook: "I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
TGB This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:46 - 09 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happens a lot with my zzr. Its full of white stuff on the window but after a good run she's clean as. Did an oil change a while back and it's all dandy.

Just take it for a good long spirited run. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:50 - 10 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taught2BCautious wrote:
When the weather is cool and the bike is used for short runs, the engine oil doesn't get hot enough to boil-off any condensation.

When the weather is warmer and the bike is used for longer runs, the engine oil can get to over 100 degrees - hot enough to boil-off any water that may have gotten in there.

This.

On my bike it can take over 50miles to clear the sightglass.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 1.03 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 65.09 Kb