|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Cocm6 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Cocm6 L Plate Warrior
Joined: 20 Aug 2012 Karma : 
|
 Posted: 19:56 - 20 Aug 2012 Post subject: Decent centres to learn around Southampton area |
 |
|
Hi guys,
Basically I've just started a placement for the year and am living in Southampton. Because I've got some cash behind me I'd now like to sort out my bike license (had my car license for around a year).
I've never had any real experience with bikes and training before, but my mate who has been riding for years reckons which centre you choose will make all the difference to if you pass and if you deserve to pass/are safe etc. Unfortunately he learnt back in Suffolk so I can't use the same centre he did.
I was just wondering if anyone on here learned around this area, is from this area, or is currently learning around here and can name some places good for training? I've just pre-emptively reserved a CBT slot with these guys for the 1st of Sept .. https://www.southamptoncbt.co.uk/ but I can always change it, or I'm happy to then take my lessons elsewhere after.
Also is there anywhere I should explicitly avoid?
Cheers |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gandalf123 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gandalf123 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 15 Aug 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Shillz |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Shillz Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 06 May 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pinkyfloyd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pinkyfloyd Super Spammer

Joined: 20 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Cocm6 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Cocm6 L Plate Warrior
Joined: 20 Aug 2012 Karma : 
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gandalf123 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gandalf123 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 15 Aug 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| PiercedMrsP |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 PiercedMrsP Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 18 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:25 - 21 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
I did my CBT with ADT and I have to admit it wasn't a good experience. Now it might not have helped that I was a completely inexperienced girl with 3 more experienced blokes but the instructor really didn't seem very interested. We basically just rode round in circles for a bit then out on the road, which was terrifying. Didn't do anything that I've heard others did - figures of 8, slow riding, junctions, etc. didnt instill any confidence. when I got my own bike I didn't really know what I was doing and stacked it. I still maintain Hubbs taught me to ride properly.
I have heard good things about ART though and if Fareham isn't too far then check out Paragon - Dave is spot on. I started doing my DAS with them until the DVLA messed up on my licence and lost my motorcycle entitlement should have been doing my mod 1 this week but it's at least 2 weeks to get it sorted. ARGH!!!  ____________________ Can sadly no longer be seen tearing up the road on my Honda Shadow 1100 ACE as she was stolen by thieving scum on 3/7/13.
Now the proud owner of a Suzuki VL800 Volusia and a huge Almax security chain  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Cocm6 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Cocm6 L Plate Warrior
Joined: 20 Aug 2012 Karma : 
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dean-J |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dean-J Crazy Courier
Joined: 30 Oct 2011 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| PiercedMrsP |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 PiercedMrsP Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 18 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 16:53 - 22 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
You're welcome Cocm6. Obviously I can only speak from the experience I had but I have to say I really wouldn't recommend ADT. It maybe that I just had a not so good instructor and their others are fine - I can't comment on that. I just know the guy I had and the experience generally was pretty poor.
If you're planning to do more training then I would pick a school you're likely to stick with, then you get used to their teaching style and they get to know you. I agree with Dean-J - pick people who genuinely want you to pass, not who genuinely want you to line their pockets. ____________________ Can sadly no longer be seen tearing up the road on my Honda Shadow 1100 ACE as she was stolen by thieving scum on 3/7/13.
Now the proud owner of a Suzuki VL800 Volusia and a huge Almax security chain  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BakesBeans |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BakesBeans Spanner Monkey
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BakesBeans |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BakesBeans Spanner Monkey
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:44 - 22 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hey Cocm6, I realised I can't edit my posts and wanted to add a bit more.
The nearest test centre for you is Lee-on-the-Solent, so you really want to learn around the area where you do you test. https://www.kickstart-gosport.co.uk/ have off road parking, so it's easier for you to drive their and park.
If you do your CBT with them, £110, you will get 50% back when you do your full DAS course. So £550 for your DAS if you do your CBT £110 (£660 in total). Just remember lunch money as you'll stop at a different cafe every day.
For the CBT they have all the cones, and a junction painted in the training area - so you can learn all that. Also, they will probably let you try the 500cc bike you will do your DAS on.
When you do your DAS, the first full day is basic work then a long ride (probably down the A32). The second full day you will do more cone work preping you for the MOD1 - you then do your MOD1 (use their bike, but will only take two hours in the day). If you pass, you will do the third full day preping for the MOD2 - then you do your MOD2, with probably an hour ride before ending at the centre.
When you've done your CBT, you can then rent bikes from: https://www.westsussexmotorcyclehire.co.uk/ at £20 per day you can get some miles in riding a cheap Chinese (but more than capable) bike about. I only did one day doing this.
Also, Kickstart might hire out their bikes (125cc) but you need to ask them - they offered to me, but that was when I was already doing my DAS.
I wouldn't bother buying a 125cc, as you will soon get bored of it.
*Sorry if I'm not allowed to mention websites, but I think this will help the OP.
Oh, if you want to ask any more questions feel free to ask. ____________________ Current: Kawasaki ZX636
Previous Bike: Honda CBR600F ABS, Yamaha XJ6 F Diversion ABS, Honda VFR400 NC30 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MCW |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MCW World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Aug 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 21:57 - 22 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
I did my CBT with Motag. A nice instructor called Dave, was very thorough. Am a complete wuss and he took care to build my confidence without mollycoddling. There were only 2 people on the CBT and we got lots of individual attention.
I got a wasp in my helmet on the road, thankfully we had covered stopping safely in a hurry. My 'aaaagh-there-is-a-wasp-in-my-helmet-aaaagh' dance stopped traffic! Got my certificate though.
Hope it goes well for you. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| petechett |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 petechett Nova Slayer
Joined: 26 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:51 - 26 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
I would suggest Motag aswell.
www.motag.com
i did my CBT and DSA with them in Poole&Bournemouth but i was speaking to my instructor and he said he sometimes does it at Southampton and i know they have a test centre there. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 14 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|