Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Rough idling on cold starts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Louis101993
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 08 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:21 - 01 Sep 2012    Post subject: Rough idling on cold starts Reply with quote

Hello all, wondering if any of you could help me Smile

My Fazer (FZS600 1999) doesn't like idling when it first starts up, even on a day like today, 18 degree's and I cant just start it and let it idle, I either have to put a tiny bit of choke on or give it a few blips of revs when it sounds like its about to die, the idle starts at about 1050 and if I leave it without the choke, it will work it way down to around 600-700 before it cuts out.

I've noticed that the down pipes from cylinder 3 + 4 seems to take longer to warm up than the other 2, I know electrical problem tie 1+4 and 2+3 together so I've ruled that out (correct me if I'm wrong)

Once it's up to running temp she idles nice and steadily at 1.2k, no dropping in revs or wanting to cut out

So my best guess is the valve clearance on cylinder 3 + 4 may be too loose, and when it warms up the expansion of the valve creates a better seal hence idling fine once up to temp?

27,000 miles on the engine, not sure if the clearance has ever been adjusted before.

Just looking for some second opinions before I go ahead and strip her down, I've got a Haynes manual and it seems very long winded, does anybody else have a simpler way to get at the valves to shove a feeler gauge in?

Thanks, Louis.
____________________
A2 License Acquired 18/05/2011
Daelim E5 '08 ->Honda CG '99 -> Kawasaki ZXR 400 RR '96 -> Suzuki SV650 '00 (Naked) -> Yamaha Fazer '99


Last edited by Louis101993 on 00:52 - 03 Sep 2012; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
unitynotsocri... This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:24 - 02 Sep 2012    Post subject: Re: Rough idling on cold starts Reply with quote

Louis101993 wrote:
Hello all, wondering if any of you could help me Smile

My Fazer (FZS600 1999) doesn't like idling when it first starts up, even on a day like today, 18 degree's and I can just start it and let it idle, I either have to put a tiny bit of choke on or giving it a few blips of revs when it sounds like its about to die, the idle starts at about 1050 and if I leave it, it will work it way down to around 600-700 before it cuts out.

I've noticed that the down pipes from cylinder 3 + 4 seems to take longer to warm up than the other 2, I know electrical problem tie 1+4 and 2+3 together so I've ruled that out (correct me if I'm wrong)

Once it's up to running temp she idles nice and steadily at 1.2k, no dropping in revs or wanting to cut out

So my best guess is the valve clearance on cylinder 3 + 4 may be too loose, and when it warms up the expansion of the valve creates a better seal hence idling fine once up to temp?

27,000 miles on the engine, not sure if the clearance has ever been adjusted before.

Just looking for some second opinions before I go ahead and strip her down, I've got a Haynes manual and it seems very long winded, does anybody else have a simpler way to get at the valves to shove a feeler gauge in?

Thanks, Louis.


Other way round - valves close up over time. If it's only idling on two when cold then clean the carbs out and check the plungers, but otherwise your description is typical of many bikes out there - not running well on choke is a bit of an inconvenience, but not that big a deal.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Louis101993
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 08 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:36 - 02 Sep 2012    Post subject: Re: Rough idling on cold starts Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:


Other way round - valves close up over time. If it's only idling on two when cold then clean the carbs out and check the plungers, but otherwise your description is typical of many bikes out there - not running well on choke is a bit of an inconvenience, but not that big a deal.


The carb's were stripped, rebuilt with new seals and synchronized less than a year ago (according to the previous owner) so I'm doubtful they'd be the cause, but I'll give them a double check.

And you misunderstood the part about the choke, it will run fine if I choke it, but I didnt think I should need to choke it on a day where its 18 degree's outside Thumbs Down

Thanks for the help Karma
____________________
A2 License Acquired 18/05/2011
Daelim E5 '08 ->Honda CG '99 -> Kawasaki ZXR 400 RR '96 -> Suzuki SV650 '00 (Naked) -> Yamaha Fazer '99
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:14 - 02 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my bikes have carbs and no matter what the temperature is I always start them on full choke and back it off as soon as the engine has started.My Exup struggles a little but this is only because the airbox has been replaced by individual pod filters.
____________________
Just talk bikes.What else is there?

Always have a 'Plan B'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

janner_10
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:14 - 02 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fazer did similar things from cold, needed lots of revs and it never liked any choke at all. Once warm it was fine. I used to start her up and ride sensibly straight away from cold rather than prick about trying to get it warm on the drive way.

From memory the valve clearances need checking at 24k (or maybe 26) - might be worth looking into getting yours done, but as long as the engine hasn't gone quiet and it still sounds like a rusty sewing machine from cold, you should be ok.
____________________
Yamaha FZS600 (Now gone to heaven) > CBR600F4i (SOLD) > '99 YZF-R1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:27 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably worth checking the clearances anyway, but that won't be that cause of your problems.

Both my Fazers, 98 and a 2002 model needed a little bit of choke to get them going, regardless of the temperature. Try giving it a little bit of choke (you only need enough to make the engine idle at 2k) and leave it with the choke on idling at about 2k until you get on the bike.

Then just turn the choke off and ride it.
____________________
CBT Passed: 30/08/2009, Theory Passed: 31/08/2010, Mod 1 Passed: 6/9/2010, Mod 2 Passed: 13/09/2010. Restriction ended 13/09/2012.

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:22 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike basically needs choke on all but the hottest of days to start up. I've been advised that this is due to the fuelling being correct, as when it's up to temperature there is no problems at all.
____________________
Funny, I used to hate being spanked as a child!
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Louis101993
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 08 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:21 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everybody for the great help, I think it may be me just being to cautious Rolling Eyes

I've checked the plugs, all gapped correctly and a good colour, I'm gonna get the air filter out tomorrow and give that a clean, and put some fresh oil in, would it be worth putting 10w-30w oil in for over the winter?

TL;DR - Plugs are fine, gonna clean air filter tomorrow, should I put 10w-30w in for over the winter (due a change anyway)
____________________
A2 License Acquired 18/05/2011
Daelim E5 '08 ->Honda CG '99 -> Kawasaki ZXR 400 RR '96 -> Suzuki SV650 '00 (Naked) -> Yamaha Fazer '99
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

janner_10
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:01 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get into the habit of changing oil. I did mine every 2k miles, and new filter every other change.

I used Asda 10-40w semi for the life of the bike. Such easy bikes to work on and maintain.

Just don't drive into the side of a car, they don't like that! Thumbs Up
____________________
Yamaha FZS600 (Now gone to heaven) > CBR600F4i (SOLD) > '99 YZF-R1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:02 - 03 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, use 10w - 40, its what the manual recommends and covers temperateness that we see in England, even in the winter.
____________________
CBT Passed: 30/08/2009, Theory Passed: 31/08/2010, Mod 1 Passed: 6/9/2010, Mod 2 Passed: 13/09/2010. Restriction ended 13/09/2012.

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 35 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.34 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 74 Kb