Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Blipping the throttle between gears while changing down?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:07 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Blipping the throttle between gears while changing down? Reply with quote

I do this all th time. But would be viewed as being too sporty during a test?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

goto10
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:11 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Re: Blipping the throttle between gears while changing down? Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:
I do this all th time. But would be viewed as being too sporty during a test?


I do it too, conserves clutch life and makes a smoother downshift. Unless you've got a particularly noisy exhaust I doubt they'd notice or care.
____________________
'12 NC700S & '12 CB600F Hornet [Stolen by some dickless twat] Suzuki GT500 shed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:12 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know need for it, only when showing off ...

Just change down as normal.

Then go back to personal preference after passed.

Matt
____________________
RIP jack (wheelie king), you will never be forgotten.
Current Bike's - Road Legal TZR 125 Pitbike, Aprilia SR50R 2010
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

goto10
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:17 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matty King wrote:
Know need for it, only when showing off ...

Just change down as normal.

Then go back to personal preference after passed.

Matt


Utter rubbish, it's not showing off at all! It balances the bike when slowing down quickly and down-shifting.
Doing it in a car requires more finesse (heel & toe) but it's still worth learning. But it's easy on a bike, so why not do it?
I did this on my test with no issues what-so-ever, mainly because I was firmly in the habit of doing it.
____________________
'12 NC700S & '12 CB600F Hornet [Stolen by some dickless twat] Suzuki GT500 shed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:32 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matty King wrote:
Know need for it, only when showing off ...


Smoother downshifts maintain rear wheel traction and bike stability.
The clutch also gets an easier life.

Not really showing off (unless you can't do it, in which case maybe.... Wink).
____________________
Yamaha XJ600 | Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat | KTM 990 SMT | BMW F900XR TE
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:38 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do that!
Didn't realise it was a 'thing'
Dunno what the principal of it is, spinning the engine so it's the same speed as the clutch plates when you disengage the clutch?
Makes for smoother shifting

any other useful 'things' like that?

Definitely keeps stabilility and traction even on a crappy 125, if you dump down the gear your back wheel soon tells you about it
____________________
Fzr-600 1999


Last edited by Alpha-9 on 13:39 - 24 Sep 2012; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:39 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it when changing down to match the revs, unless I want to use engine braking...

Andy
____________________
Honda CBF125 ➝ NC700X
Honda CBF125 ↳ Speed Triple
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dogwafter
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 28 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:39 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it all the time, it definitely makes for a smoother ride and is safer too so I imagine they won't care.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WillOdling
Nova Slayer



Joined: 26 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:12 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it too
____________________
2002 GSX R600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WillOdling
Nova Slayer



Joined: 26 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:12 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it too
____________________
2002 GSX R600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:30 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooeee we all do it!

I do it because its smoother and it means you keep your velocity and have power immediatly available for powering away after the down shift (say through and out of a corner). Is easier on the clutch plates as well. Sounds great to boot Smile

My first proper job was driving a 7.5 tonne delivery lorry which had an old gearbox that didn't have synchromesh so I had to do a proper double de-clutch so learning to do a single de-clutch with a throtle blip on a car was easy and its no harder on a bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:03 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I do it all the time. Pretty much impossible to change down smoothly without doing it (unless you want to spend ages slipping the clutch when you change down).

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RichieZX6R
Nearly there...



Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:16 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
I do that!
Didn't realise it was a 'thing'
Dunno what the principal of it is, spinning the engine so it's the same speed as the clutch plates when you disengage the clutch?
Makes for smoother shifting

any other useful 'things' like that?

Definitely keeps stabilility and traction even on a crappy 125, if you dump down the gear your back wheel soon tells you about it


I do it as well and also didnt realise it was a done thing. Just seems to making changing down gears when slowing down easier.
____________________
Current: Kawazaki ZX6R 51
Past: Kawazaki ZX6R 96 - Honda CBR 600F4 05 - Dragstar 125 02 - Honda CB 400 SF 94 - Honda NSR 125 51 - Gilera Runner XV125 04
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:33 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 do it all the time

Nothing more satisfying... (that I've learnt yet)

than a nice blip of the throttle as she cries into a lower gear Wub

You can just tell it's so much better for the bike and balance ect.. not showing off at all!

Thumbs Up
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

woodall57
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 25 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:46 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_526751&feature=iv&src_vid=0u9R3h9iHwM&v=MIhycth8msU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u9R3h9iHwM&feature=plcp

russ aka roadcraft nottingham has a nice vid about it

i like doing it because for some reason i find it satisfying having the bike go down a gear nice lol
____________________
cbt:4/7/12 theory:16/7/12 module 1:12/8/12 module 2: ?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JoeDougieDoug...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:47 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it, have done since the day I started riding... (well, close to!), I did it on my mod 2 and I never got a minor for it, I dont think they noticed / cared. As others have said, it does indeed make the clutches life easier and makes for a smoother change.
____________________
CBT Passed - 22 / 10 / 11 >> Theory Passed - 16 / 02 / 2012 >> Mod 1 Passed - 07 / 03 / 2012 >> Mod 2 Passed - 18 / 05 / 2012.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

psychodame
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 29 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:53 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also do it as a matter of habit. You'll find it makes a slowing bike less jerky and the sound of doing it is nice too. I know it's a shallow thing to say, but I don't care.. so there! Tut Tut
____________________
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity.
-Anonymous
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:01 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it and will do it on my test. It makes everything smooth and easier.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:18 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone has already said but you are bringing up the engine speed to roughly match the speed it will be doing when you let out the clutch.

Other wise you would have the engine going at idle speed and when you let the clutch out the engine revs will be increased very quickly and jerkily from being driven by the rear wheel.

edit: Alpha-9 mentioned it Thumbs Up
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flatbadger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:26 - 25 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how I've grown to understand what you all mean by reading through the thread!

If it don't work right, find a way to sort it out with technique - comes to us all naturally I suppose.

I've seen the gear-changing vids before, if I remember he recommends a bit of pressure on the gear lever before pulling in the clutch as well, I've tried it a few times but it's more of a conscious effort. Makes for a smoother transition still.
____________________
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
You're in ISIS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ocatoro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:43 - 25 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've always done this in a car too, and never ever had to change a clutch. so i think it is a lot easier on the clutch than just dumping an idling engine onto the clutch.

i even started doing it on my cbt after quite a short time, felt pretty natural to be fair.

the whole clutch slipping thing though is going to take some getting used to. i feel so guilty doing it
____________________
CBT - 17/09/12 * Theory - 23/10/12 * Mod1 - 05/03/13 * Mod2 - 25/03/13 * BOSH!
Current - None Sad but shed project H100 (first bike Smile )
Past - ER5, '93 ZZR600, '92 CB400 SF, ZZR600 (again), yellow Monster 620, Blackbird - black Monster 620ie - '96 ZZR600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

thepuma
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:33 - 25 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know what it is or if I do it. Neutral
____________________
YBR125 (SOLD) - CBR250R(SOLD) - CBR650F(SOLD) Current - Street Triple
765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:31 - 25 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

thepuma wrote:
Don't know what it is or if I do it. Neutral

When you're slowing or changing down a gear. The revs you're in in 4th are lower than what they would be if you were doing the same speed in 3rd.

When you change down, and release the clutch, the back wheel then drives your engine to make it get to the revs it should be.

So when the clutch is in, give the throttle a twist (or a blip) and your revs will increase because there's no drive engaged and then release the clutch.

At least that's how I understand it
____________________
I'm Sam; Northern, Ginger, Lover
Did have: '95 ZZR600 '83 CG125 '97 ZZR1100 '15 Hypermotard 821 SP Do Have: '10 ZX10R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thepuma
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:00 - 25 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

snoosnoo wrote:
thepuma wrote:
Don't know what it is or if I do it. Neutral

When you're slowing or changing down a gear. The revs you're in in 4th are lower than what they would be if you were doing the same speed in 3rd.

When you change down, and release the clutch, the back wheel then drives your engine to make it get to the revs it should be.

So when the clutch is in, give the throttle a twist (or a blip) and your revs will increase because there's no drive engaged and then release the clutch.

At least that's how I understand it


In that situation I would go down another gear I think if I though I was going too slow for 3rd gear or if I felt it would labour the engine only knocking it down 1 gear. Then let the clutch out slowly.
____________________
YBR125 (SOLD) - CBR250R(SOLD) - CBR650F(SOLD) Current - Street Triple
765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shinigami
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:24 - 25 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

never done this, never tried..
heard bikes going past do it though, by the description it sounds like they were anyway.

I've never had any issues with stopping safely or lowering gears though...
____________________
Current: Honda City Fly CLR125 2003 Honda CB600F Hornet 2008 Yamaha FZ6 S2 + 1991 Kawasaki GPZ500
"Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.47 Sec - Server Load: 4.25 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 128.52 Kb