Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Retro MTB

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:15 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Retro MTB Reply with quote

So people, lets get pictures of your retro MTB's up here.

First picture is my Ridgeback 703DX form 1988. Full DX groupset, Tange Prestige frame running slicks and a 52-11 top gear.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:26 - 10 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far back do we have to go to be retro? My DH bike is considered retro when I take it to the trails. 2004 Vario Kaktus frame, 2001 Marzocchi Monster T forks (with drop crown oooh!), up until very recently it had a rear rim on it that I bought at the bike show in the NEC in 1998, Tioga bars and stem from 1999, Mavic D321 front rim (2001?) on a Hope hub from about 1998, tyres both came from a bike I bought second hand in 2003 - you get the idea.

Sod it, I've talked myself into it being a retro!

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/IMG_4649_zpsd0f62443.jpg
____________________
Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:21 - 10 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still riding my GT RTS. Still need to finish building the GT LTS-DS.
Daily rider is a old specalized hardtail with Vbrakes and the like.

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63604 - Retobike link to the RTS if the pics are still up.
____________________
"because one stroke isnt enough and four strokes waste two"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fladdem
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:11 - 10 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on retrobike as well!

Give me some time and let me find my camera, there's a few bikes in the shed here that belong in this thread.
____________________
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:39 - 10 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a '99 Specialized FSR Enduro frame lurking in my garage.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:25 - 22 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/BCF_zpsdf80dde7.jpg

I just acquired this 2000 Specialised Rockhopper A1 Pro FS for the grand total of €0.00.

It's been sat in the basement of this building untouched for at least 5 years. We've asked everyone in the building (8 flats so not that many) if it's their bike or if they know who's it is and no one knows anything about it other than it's been there for a long time and hasn't moved. Everyone in the building knows I have commandeered it and I won't be spending any money on it other than whatever the cost of chain lube and inner tubes is these days. If someone suddenly remembers that it's their bike or they remember who's it is then they know where I am and they're welcome to have it back.

Anyway - It's running XT/LX groupset, Manitou Answer SX forks, front and rear hydro discs (with the rear having a rear disc mount adapter as the frame doesn't have disc mounts), a lovely adjustable stem Laughing and a fully functional beer holder.

The tubes aren't holding air very well so I'll put some new ones in. The front brake is useless (Magura Clara, they stopped making them in 2002) so once I've figured out what mount adapter and disc I need I will put a spare Avid Juicy 3 I have on to match the Juicy 3 I have put on the rear (although I'm keeping the Maguras in case someone claims it). The gears all work fine so I'll throw some lube down the cables and clean up the shifters. I'm debating on whether or not to strip and service the forks. I've serviced old forks before but they're working ok at the moment so I'm not sure if it's worth taking them apart for no reason. The wheels seem to be fine with no play in either hubs and they run true.

I'll be using it as a Strava bike with about 70/30 road/trail use. I'll probably put some semi slicks on it if no one comes forward for it in a month or so and see how I get on with it. It's a little bit too big for me with a 21" frame but the price was the deciding factor with this bike Laughing
____________________
Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:44 - 25 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one of mine.

1992 Trek 8000 with a mixture of XT/DX and Mr Shimano's old wheels from when I converted his bike to XTR.

Bike cost me £37 with £40 on service bits, tyres and a seat post. Most expensive thing was the Flite saddle at £66. Mr Shimano's wheels are just on there while I service the original ones. Not bad for what in its day was an £800+ bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BumpingUglys
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:09 - 02 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

More a part than a bike, but I bought this a few months ago and have slowly been accumulating bits for it ever since.

It's a 2000 GT Zaskar X; a limited edition variant on the classic Zaskar frame, and one of the last to be made at the Santa Ana workshop in California. The tubing is Easton 6061 aluminium and weighs in at a shade under 4lbs.

It's never going to be a racing machine, but I'm pretty pleased with it and it should build up into a cool little trail runner.

https://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m6/Bumpinguglys/Zaskar%20X/Zaskar1_zps49e4a43b.jpg

https://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m6/Bumpinguglys/Zaskar%20X/Zaskar2_zps96392694.jpg

https://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m6/Bumpinguglys/Zaskar%20X/Zaskar3_zpsfc5ffb9b.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:15 - 03 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/W4zk1cZ.jpg

Got it as a little bit of a project, all that's left to finish up is an overhaul of the rear brake.
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:14 - 04 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seb wrote:
Got it as a little bit of a project, all that's left to finish up is an overhaul of the rear brake.


And I thought I was stretching the retro definition with my DH bike! I'd take that Specialised to the trails tomorrow and ride it without a second thought (assuming it had a back brake mind!).
____________________
Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 93 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.81 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 70.19 Kb