Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to pass your motorbike practical tests with no lessons.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Clutchy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 30 Dec 2012    Post subject: How to pass your motorbike practical tests with no lessons. Reply with quote

This is just my personal experience, some may disagree with me but when I was learning to ride I just wanted some basic points on how to pass my test without lessons (lack of money). If you have the cash to spare, its worth getting lessons. They will stay with you for the rest of your life.

First off before even doing your CBT I would buy this book:https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519gWbu04XL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It covers everything you'll do in your CBT and will help you to understand that choosing the right place to do your CBT and looking at reviews on the school is very important. Getting the correct and full training is vital.

PAY ATTENTION! Make sure you listen to all of the lessons part of your CBT and take in everything the examiner says. This should just be a re-cap of what you have already read in your book.

ASK QUESTIONS! This may be the only time you will get to speak to an instructor, so prepare some questions to ask him/her after the day is done, any school worth their salt will be more than happy enough to answer them.

As we are no longer are in any rush to complete tests, don't rush into them, get yourself a decent 125. I found an 04 cbr 125 for £1000 and was more than adequate, and got up to speed nice and quickly on the national speed limits. This showing positive/confident riding.

Have a few months of riding in different areas, not just your local area as I found I started to become complacent with the basic roads and lack of 1 ways etc. If you have time, ride around the test area.

After a few months you should be wobble free, and thinking of stalling will no longer be in the back of your mind. Confidence and worrying less is half the battle.

MOD 1: Get it booked. I found riding down to the mod 1 center and having a look at the lay-out and watching some candidates helped me so much. I just couldn't visualize it until I had seen it and it settled a lot of nerves.

'Pass the Bike Test: and be a Great Rider Too!' Has a good section on mod 1 and some handy tips, but no book in this case I found to be that helpful, as soon as I watched a few mod 1 how to video's ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYOUWHrqDJg ) I was fine and ready to go.

After I had practiced with a friend in a large car park, this extra bit of training settled all my nerves when it came to the U turn and made it seem so easy, even on a sports 125.

One tip is DO NOT tell anyone you're doing your mod 1, treat it as a practice go. It's only £15 after all and chances are you'll pass anyway without the pressure!

Once the MOD 1 is done, you're nearly there!

Leave a gap between your mod 1 and mod 2 if you are booking both at the same time. I'd advise not doing this. Worst case scenario is you have to wait a few more weeks for another mod 2 slot, well treat that as extra practice. I did!

Go out and get your self a copy of the highway code and read a bit of it every night before you go to bed. Any type will do, I picked up the AA one as it was cheapest Laughing

Now go and get yourself a copy of: https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Kq4klSMYL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click-small,TopRight,12,-30_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg
£3.74 from amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Know-traffic-signs-Driving-Skills/dp/0115528555/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356884630&sr=1-1

Read through it and make sure you know what a clearway sign is. Look over the signs and when you're out and about riding look at signs and tell yourself what it is, keep this up.

'Pass the Bike Test: and be a Great Rider Too!' will tell you a lot about the examiner, and all the tips you need for the mod 2 so I wont go into detail with that.

There are a lot of video's on youtube that are meant to help with mod 2, however a lot of them are factually wrong! Road Craft Nottingham is a practicing instructor and makes brilliant video's, without him I'm sure I'd of never passed first time. https://www.youtube.com/user/roadcraftnottingham. Watch his demo rides.

DO NOT tell anyone you're on your mod 2, I never did, it's just less pressure.

Aim to turn up to the test center half an hour early. If you do then have a 10 minute ride around to familiarize yourself. The first turning out of the test center, try and find out the speed limit. That's the only one you need to pre plan as a lot of them are 20 mph.

Park your bike by reversing your bike into the bay, it makes things a lot easier when you start for your mod 1 and its just one less thing to fail on for mod 2 Wink

Do not bum lick the examiner, they will see through it, don't be rude, just talk to him like a normal person. If you are unsure what he has asked then ask him to repeat it.

Make sure you pack all your docs in a bag the night before and are ready to put it on as you leave the next day. You do not want to be in a rush, trust me, it just adds unnecessary pressure.

Make sure you have full safety gear (you may not have be told this prior, as you have no instructor)

Once you're all radio'ed up. Just ride; I found pretending I was teaching the examiner how to ride helped and did a running forward commentary to help my decision making!

He isn't looking for perfect riding, just someone who is confident and isn't a danger. Try not to do anything rash, if you go the wrong way then no biggie, he will correct your path.

He won't try and catch you out and I found when I was being asked to pull over he wasn't trying to trick me. There were loads of places where I could pull over no problem.

When you get onto the national speed limits, you'll probably only get one shot to show you aren't scared of speed, so get up to 60 as fast as you can ( on a 125 the acceleration isn't going to be crazy).

And then before you know it you'll be back at the center.
If you haven't passed, take in why and ask questions this too can be your practice run, DO NOT be rude to the examiner, they talk to each other and I doubt it will do you any good when you get your next re test.

Once you've passed you'll ask yourself what all the fuss is about and you'll love ripping those L's off Laughing Hope this helps at least one person, GOOD LUCK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cyclingbiker
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:16 - 30 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post with loads of helpful tips included for new riders. Thumbs Up
I followed quite a few of those, and ignored some as well but still passed first time with no lessons.

You probably should mention the theory test as well just to be safe Wink

Mod 1 - Passed - 12/11/12 --- Mod 2 - Passed - 26/11/12

Clive L
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:26 - 30 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good points, even for those taking instruction.

However, this of course applies only to those taking the tests on a 125, and after 19th Jan, this means being restricted to a learner legal 125 after passing the tests.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jemcamb
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:05 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say I had a few lessons to get me through my mod 2. I spent a couple of days riding round the test routes with my instructor which was invaluable. Being familiar with the roads is one less thing to worry about.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:44 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good stuff, shame it'll drop off the first page sharpish.

Clive L wrote:
However, this of course applies only to those taking the tests on a 125, and after 19th Jan, this means being restricted to a learner legal 125 after passing the tests.

Indeed, but if you know someone with a bigger bike - say, for example, that you've joined the UK's biggest bike forum Wink - you may very well be able to borrow it to sit your tests on.

Davenaylor
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:05 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good post full of helpful advice. Not sure how many people will self teach after the 19th but as said above, these tips can be just as useful for those taking lessons.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clutchy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
This is good stuff, shame it'll drop off the first page sharpish.

That's the thing, not really good enough for a sticky either.

Catch 22 Very Happy Rolling Eyes

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:23 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job there's no theory test in Clutchy's world Razz

Clutchy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Good job there's no theory test in Clutchy's world Razz

Laughing I did say practical in the title Wink

I can't please everyone one Wink Wink

UPDADTE FOR ALPHA:

*he has kindly volunteered to do a theory test guide! Very Happy

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:38 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy DSA practice DVD
Go through it a couple of times
Do a mock test on the day of your theory before you leave
Pass test first time

Worked for me and you all know my fail ratio Thumbs Up Cool

Clutchy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://assets.diylol.com/hfs/911/7a6/290/resized/thumbs-up-meme-generator-yay-great-job-c404db.jpg?1336588258.jpg

Clive L
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:11 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Clive L wrote:

Indeed, but if you know someone with a bigger bike - say, for example, that you've joined the UK's biggest bike forum Wink - you may very well be able to borrow it to sit your tests on.

You will also need him/her to ride it there, and unless you have an off road place to practice on, taking the mod 1 on a bike you have not ridden before is unlikely to be successful, as we see regularly with people turning up to do the DAS this way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

callum94
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:43 - 01 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good advice there, I never had any lessons before my mod 1 or mod 2 (just woke up, got ready, took a 5 min ride there, did my practical and luckily passed both parts without retaking Very Happy ) The hardest part of getting the licence was the theory, I failed 2 times on the hazard parception and passed 3rd time lucky.

Just know your road positioning and speed (only got 3 minors on mod 2 and they were all for speeding Confused ). Practice, practice and practice for the theory/practical and you will pass no problem.

Clutchy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 01 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

callum94 wrote:
Lots of good advice there, I never had any lessons before my mod 1 or mod 2 (just woke up, got ready, took a 5 min ride there, did my practical and luckily passed both parts without retaking Very Happy )

Not everyone is that elite though Wink

callum94
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:35 - 02 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutchy wrote:
callum94 wrote:
Lots of good advice there, I never had any lessons before my mod 1 or mod 2 (just woke up, got ready, took a 5 min ride there, did my practical and luckily passed both parts without retaking Very Happy )

Not everyone is that elite though Wink

To be fair I don't think the instructor could be bothered, I did my mod 2 when the roads were covered in ice and it was about minus 2 degrees. The instructor was just happy I didn't fall off Neutral

thepuma
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 02 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I dont think you really need lessons at all to pass your tests. I passed mine first time with no lessons and id never been on a bike before my cbt.

I did a lot of research on youtube so I knew what was expected on the tests...but I really cant see what id have gained from spending 4 or 5 hundred quid and going with an instructor. All the info you need is on the net and if youve got a 125 you can practice all you like before the tests to get experience.

Clive L
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:38 - 02 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

thepuma wrote:
Personally I dont think you really need lessons at all to pass your tests. I passed mine first time with no lessons and id never been on a bike before my cbt.

I did a lot of research on youtube so I knew what was expected on the tests...but I really cant see what id have gained from spending 4 or 5 hundred quid and going with an instructor. All the info you need is on the net and if youve got a 125 you can practice all you like before the tests to get experience.

I'll bet you already had a full car licence and a fair bit of road experience. Not quite the same for a 17 year old who's never had a car lesson.

Some of the young students we get are positively clueless about how to use the road safely

Clutchy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 02 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 17 when I passed, however I had been riding a moped since I was 16 Shocked

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:42 - 02 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clive L wrote:
https://i45.tinypic.com/30xk742.jpg

To avoid any confusion in your post 3rd Directive career, please be advised that yes, I would like fries with that.

Clutchy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 02 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

To avoid any confusion in your post 3rd Directive career, please be advised that yes, I would like fries with that.

Trolololololololol Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Clive L
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:24 - 03 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Very humourous, but not adding to the discussion,is it.

j.silvs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 07 Jan 2013    Post subject: Re: How to pass your motorbike practical tests with no lesso Reply with quote

Clutchy wrote:
This is just my personal experience, some may disagree with me but when I was learning to ride I just wanted some basic points on how to pass my test without lessons (lack of money). If you have the cash to spare, its worth getting lessons. They will stay with you for the rest of your life.

First off before even doing your CBT I would buy this book:https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519gWbu04XL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It covers everything you'll do in your CBT and will help you to understand that choosing the right place to do your CBT and looking at reviews on the school is very important. Getting the correct and full training is vital.

This book is actually really good and puts everything in a way that is easy to grasp.

Once I have finished with it anyone here is welcome to have my copy for free. Could post it to you no probs.

Dave-the-rave
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:32 - 07 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clive L wrote:

I'll bet you already had a full car licence and a fair bit of road experience. Not quite the same for a 17 year old who's never had a car lesson.

Some of the young students we get are positively clueless about how to use the road safely

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

fisnik
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 07 Jan 2013    Post subject: Re: How to pass your motorbike practical tests with no lesso Reply with quote

Josh.silverman wrote:
Clutchy wrote:

This book is actually really good and puts everything in a way that is easy to grasp.

Once I have finished with it anyone here is welcome to have my copy for free. Could post it to you no probs.

Bought one myself on amazon and it's just been dispatched today. Can't wait for some bedtime reading, lol.

j.silvs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:23 - 08 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mrs is sick of the book.

I read it for ten minutes every night. Once I have finished, I start again.Even the CBT bit.

Drives her nuts, She said one night:

"why do you keep reading something over and over"

To which I replied:

"I wouldn't be reading this if I didn't think that I wasn't alone in my views."

Confused - Shut her right up hahaha!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 82 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2