Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Insurance advice ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

new001
Nova Slayer



Joined: 05 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:05 - 28 Apr 2013    Post subject: Insurance advice ? Reply with quote

Hi Ive been riding on cbt for 6 months using a ybr125 covered with Rac bike insurance however very recently got a full A license im just wondering am I obliged to notify the insurance company of this change ?

What should I expect in their response fuss and fee free or get screwed ?

The reason I ask is it looks like they have a 40-50 quid amendment fee and Im guessing they would probably ask for extra monies for the rest of policy due to thinking no L plates more at risk ?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dannymassive
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 28 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:23 - 28 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that the RAC act as a broker?

If this is the case, whoever the policy is underwritten by will also have some kind of influence on this.

There are a few people on here that are quite clued up on insurance companies and policies so wait until one of these guys sees your thread. Thumbs Up
____________________
Previous Ride's - '01 Aprilia SR125 (Sold) '08 HONDA CBF600n (Sold) '96 CB500 (Sold) '01 FZS 1000 (Sold) '06 CB1300SA (Sold) '07 CB600F Hornet (Sold) - '93 Suzuki Savage LS400 (Sold) '98 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm (Sold) '05 CB600F Hornet (Sold) '01 FZS1000 Fazer (Sold) 2016 Harley Davidson Street Bob SE (Sold) '02 Kawasaki ZX9R (Sold) '98 CB600F Hornet (Sold) '04 Suzuki Bandit 1200s (Sold) '13 Yamaha FZ1-N
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:27 - 28 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no real need to phone them, I phoned up and asked if I was to go and do my test, would I have to pay a fee to let them know. They said no, they just update it so I said.. Good, I passed earlier and didn't want to pay anything for proving I'm a better rider, please update Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kai.Wilson
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 26 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:25 - 28 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannymassive wrote:
I was under the impression that the RAC act as a broker?


Yes they are, they sell on behalf of equity red star

I would tell them.

If you don't and have a spill and have to claim they may not pay out as you didn't notify them about your change of license
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

new001
Nova Slayer



Joined: 05 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:45 - 30 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted them and they quoted me 30 quid just to change the license type from learner to full on my rac policy does this sound about right ?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:47 - 30 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's probably an administration charge Thumbs Up
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:51 - 30 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will nearly always be an admin fee. Can't remember who I was with when I had my 125 but I phoned up and they charged me something daft like £6 so even if they waived the fee (she never said owt) I had to pay up. It's a bit of a con really.
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:51 - 30 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine were a bit dodgy about this.

I asked before saying I had passed what would happen, and she told me that the underwriter I was with only insured people on provisional licences.. hence me keeping my mouth fucking shut until I got my years no claims Laughing

Thumbs Up
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:47 - 30 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, keep quiet Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:47 - 30 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

new001 wrote:
I contacted them and they quoted me 30 quid just to change the license type from learner to full on my rac policy does this sound about right ?

Yes, that's the typical fee for them to do 10 seconds of typing at the end of a free 5 minute phone call.

I don't want to get too gangsta because I did "tell" my insurer, but it was eBike, so I did it online and I could do it myself and see that the fee was going to be exactly £0.00.

If I'd been with one of those old fashioned phone-and-type insurers, I don't think I'd have bothered.

If you want to cover your back, you could post them a letter and get a free certificate of posting.

Note carefully that I'm not suggesting anything about the content of that letter, or even that it needs any.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

shereen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:59 - 30 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Note carefully that I'm not suggesting anything about the content of that letter, or even that it needs any.


Laughing Shifty
____________________
"The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:55 - 30 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

shereen wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Note carefully that I'm not suggesting anything about the content of that letter, or even that it needs any.

Laughing Shifty

Are you suggesting that the same wheeze might serve for "responding" to a Section 172 demand for driver/rider details? That's shocking, I can't believe you even thought of that!
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 160 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.46 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 73.42 Kb