Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Buying without a test ride

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Drax
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 17 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:02 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Buying without a test ride Reply with quote

As the above says:

Would you ever buy a bike without a test ride?

I've found my dream bike. . @ £7K

One year old. Low mileage(1500) One years manufacturers warranty left: One owner. FSH. Some very desirable extras fitted. Sold from the original Yamaha dealers that it was bought from.

But.... I cant get down to test ride it as its too far. They will deliver for a very good price though.

I cant tell you what it is in case one of you beats me to it - although I will say its got R1 in it. Very Happy

Opinions ? Thoughts?

Positive replies preferred even though it is the BCF! Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sako
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:03 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fucking chance!

Test ride is a must.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:09 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Sako says. Get your arse down there and ride it!

If you're that sure you're going to buy it, you can get down there. My guess is delivery is costing you £99 or slightly more. You can get a train ticket there and ride it back for that much.

I can get from Leicester/Birmingham to Maidstone via London for £15. Your only excuse is laziness Very Happy
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:09 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say not without a test ride, but seeing as i bought both my bikes and everyone of my cars without a test drive feel free to ignore me. Thinking
____________________
Cbr1100xx blackbird gone, mk4 golf gt tdi chav now
Colin1 wrote 'Im grateful for what i can get, which isnt all that much.'
Columbus travel insurance are crap!! Do not use!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:13 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly, I've had more luck when I haven't had a test ride tbh. In my case it has just literally been luck though
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:20 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just sold the bike to a lad and he had no test ride. I actually ridden the bike to his place, he had no licence. I bought my first bike with out a test ride, it was a '88 GPz550 and -15°C and I've never had been on a bike alone before. My mate tested the bike and ran on it back home, about 20 miles and it got even colder.

Q:An unusual request for you, people of the UK. Can you tell me, if the grammar is alright, please? I'm still not sure about have/had when I'm trying to express past tense. Smile
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Minty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:26 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I've just sold the bike to a lad and he had no test ride. I actually ridden the bike to his place, he had no licence. I bought my first bike with out a test ride, it was a '88 GPz550 and -15°C and I've never had been on a bike alone before. My mate tested the bike and ran on it back home, about 20 miles and it got even colder.

Q:An unusual request for you, people of the UK. Can you tell me, if the grammar is alright, please? I'm still not sure about have/had when I'm trying to express past tense. Smile


Better than most UK citizens can manage. Thumbs Up
____________________
My fingers smell of your mum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:30 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I've just sold the bike to a lad and he had no test ride. I actually ridden the bike to his place, he had no licence. I bought my first bike with out a test ride, it was a '88 GPz550 and -15°C and I've never had been on a bike alone before. My mate tested the bike and ran on it back home, about 20 miles and it got even colder.

Q:An unusual request for you, people of the UK. Can you tell me, if the grammar is alright, please? I'm still not sure about have/had when I'm trying to express past tense. Smile


It's pretty damn good, to be honest. As Minty said, it's better than most of the UK could manage. Apparently it's not cool to care about spelling and grammar nowadays and it's even less cool to point out the mistakes of others, especially on the Internet.
____________________
Greetings from Shitsville!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:

Better than most UK citizens can manage. Thumbs Up


Nexus Icon wrote:

It's pretty damn good, to be honest. As Minty said, it's better than most of the UK could manage. Apparently it's not cool to care about spelling and grammar nowadays and it's even less cool to point out the mistakes of others, especially on the Internet.


Thanks lads, I'm just trying to learn the language and there're not many opportunities for me to try the past tense.
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

James83
Crazy Courier



Joined: 10 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:41 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Q:An unusual request for you, people of the UK. Can you tell me, if the grammar is alright, please? I'm still not sure about have/had when I'm trying to express past tense. Smile


As everyone else said, its already better than most on the internet, but in the interest of helping, the below are technically more correct. They are all pretty pedantic changes, as well, so please don't take this as criticism.

RhynoCZ wrote:
I've just sold the bike to a lad and he had no test ride.

RhynoCZ wrote:
I've just sold the bike to a lad and he didn't have a test ride.

'Had' is actually correct in the way you used it as such, but the syntax was a bit weird, and you want 'have' rather than 'had' this way round. Mind you, you could also say 'he didn't take a test ride, so this is subjective to how you word the sentence.

RhynoCZ wrote:
I actually ridden the bike to his place, he had no licence.

RhynoCZ wrote:
I actually rode the bike to his place, he had no licence.

Ok, not a tense issue, but thought I'd mention it

RhynoCZ wrote:
I bought my first bike with out a test ride, it was a '88 GPz550 and -15°C and I've never had been on a bike alone before.

RhynoCZ wrote:
I bought my first bike with out a test ride, it was a '88 GPz550 and -15°C and I had never been on a bike alone before.

'I've' is short for 'I have', so the way you put it reads as 'I have never had been on a bike'.

Incoming corrections on my corrections in 3...2...1...

Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Musketeer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:45 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would defo want to test ride before I parted with my £7k. With that kind of money I would test ride lots of bikes to make the right choice.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

reed
Nearly there...



Joined: 28 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:45 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned 5 bikes, and have only test ridden one. Laughing

My current bike, I went to the guys house, walked round it once, walked into his house and gave him the money. Laughing

In fact my old 50cc bike I had, I didn't even look at at all, it turned up in a van and I gave him some money. Smile (had some fucked bits as I later found out.)

Guess I'm just lucky to get ones that aren't broken, mostly.
____________________
Generic XOR 50, Gilera SMT 50, GSXR 400 GK73A, Ducati Monster 600, Honda Hornet 600.
Sold. Stolen. Written off. Sold. Current.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:48 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well James, thank you Thumbs Up Smile
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ammoman
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 04 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:57 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just purchased a 09reg ER6F in as new condition for 2.5k Smile
Didn't test ride it as I thought he may put the price up while I was out Very Happy Bargin Exclamation
____________________
2013 ZZR1400 & Honda CG125 1986..
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:06 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current bike I didn't test ride I just purchased it on a whim and it worked out, very risky though.
____________________
CB125>CG125>GN125>ER5>K100RS>R1100RS>K100RS
A2 completed 23/07/15 Ready for the Golden Crisp Packet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:33 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first bike was bought 'blind' from a dealer 200 miles away via auto trader.

I figured that the "fit for purpose" clause in consumer rights would allow for most major issues that could go wrong with it.

they lied about it having been dropped and repaired however....

New bike had deposit put on having only seen photos, took my instructor to test ride it and get it home for me as it didn't have restrictors in at the time.

would buy again from a dealer but would check the bike more thoroughly when it arrives.

wouldn't buy privately unseen.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:43 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends tbh.

From a dealership I'd possibly chance it and would certainly do so from my local dealers, as I know I can trust them amd if a problem was found they'd sort it.

From a private seller....not a chance in hell, not even if it was only a grand, never mind seven.

As has been suggested, why not travel down there and ride it back? It shouldn't cost much in train fare and at least you'd have more peace of mind when handing over all that cash.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:50 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Re: Buying without a test ride Reply with quote

Drax wrote:
£7K

How much of that can you afford to throw away?

Don't be a nonce, buy a bus ticket and go and ride it.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fifteen15
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:59 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about those people that say "I want the full value of the bike in cash in my hand before you test ride it". Would that put you off? Because they could then do a runner while you're off on the bike, then claim you stole the bike.
____________________
"Pain is weakness leaving the body, and blood makes the grass grow faster...but I'll wear my gear anyway"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:02 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought numerous bikes privately without test riding. The first test ride was when i parted with my cash.

I always have a pragmatic approach whenever I buy a bike that

a) it's most certainly been down the road
b) it'll probably need new consumables
c) it'll need a service
d) if i can't get along with the tyres, then I'm off to put some dunlop roadsmarts on!

I always feel content in haggling, or putting a very late cheeky snipe (all my bikes have been ebay'd).

I show them the cash, but am very prepared to walk away if i'm not satisfied!
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

henry hoover
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:05 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid 6k for my current bike without a test drive i bought it on the back of various reviews. Plus it was first bike so i had fuck all to compare it to!

If it's an R1 for that dough,must be of the Big Bang variety. Have you ridden a sports bike before? If you have and like it i say pull the trigger dude!
____________________
Cbr600rr 2010 Sold
Zx6r 636 2006 sold
Gsxr 750 L1 current
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:05 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reed wrote:


My current bike, I went to the guys house, walked round it once, walked into his house and gave him the money. Laughing

In fact my old 50cc bike I had, I didn't even look at at all, it turned up in a van and I gave him some money. Smile (had some fucked bits as I later found out.)

Guess I'm just lucky to get ones that aren't broken, mostly.


Same here.
____________________
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent."

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MG
Traffic Copper



Joined: 10 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:19 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's going to be wrong with a one year old, 1500 miler that needs a test ride to notice? If you want to work out if the bike suits you then go and ride another nearer to home. My Dad bought an 11 plate GSXR750 recently for exactly that money, didnt even consider test riding it. It was mint, what's the point?
____________________
'03 Honda Cityfly 125 > '02 Honda CB500S > '98 Honda CBR600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

scorps
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:31 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only bike I test rode is the one I have now, every other one was bought before I then had to start cutting seats down etc.
____________________
Do not presume that I am male.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:34 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first (current) bike had a dealer warranty on it, bought it without riding it knowing I'd be straight back to them if anything went wrong. Now I have a baseline, I'll aways test ride in future.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 110 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.62 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 132.82 Kb