|
|
| Author |
Message |
| smithyithy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 smithyithy Spanner Monkey

Joined: 15 Feb 2013 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:58 - 17 Jun 2013 Post subject: 'Big' scooter as daily / bad weather commuter? |
 |
|
Currently on my A2 restricted license, riding a CBR400RR that to be fair is really clean and I like to keep it that way as such..
Daily is a pretty unreliable old VW Polo.
Ideal situation is to just ride year round, wouldn't bother me really.
My work commute that I drive, or ride if the weather's okay, is about half an hour each way on the motorway, or 45 mins on the A-road route (preferable for the bike, just means setting out earlier).
So it just came into my head, a big-ish scooter as a daily? Mainly cause they're much lazier to ride and more comfy, slap a big screen on, heated grips etc, and your legs stay kinda dry as they're shielded. Not to mention generally a lot of storage space and very good MPG. Wouldn't need to worry about cleaning it or anything, just use it as a workhorse.
So what are your views? Anyone own / had a bigger scooter, recomend any models to check out, other options? I wouldn't mind a second a proper bike, I'm just thinking about practicality, and cost.. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| c_dug |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 c_dug Super Spammer

Joined: 04 Sep 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| smithyithy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 smithyithy Spanner Monkey

Joined: 15 Feb 2013 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:03 - 17 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
You don't need a car for shopping
https://super-user.co.uk/shop2.jpg
I'd probably end up getting a Deauville if I wanted to do all weathers and have decent protection. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| -Matt- |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 -Matt- World Chat Champion
Joined: 28 Apr 2013 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:15 - 17 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
I always wondered how people filter on some of those really big scooters they look wider than a goldwing sometimes  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| c_dug |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 c_dug Super Spammer

Joined: 04 Sep 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 14:17 - 17 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
True you don't, I've been far more loaded up than that in the past. But it would make it easier. ____________________ I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 14:58 - 17 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
What's-his-chops on MCN is raving about his Suzuki Burgervan[*] Executive as a commuter. The mirrors fold in electrically, it has loads of storage space and comfort gubbins, and he reckons it's narrower than just about any bike.
And it's only nine thousand pounds. Nine. Thousand. Pounds.
Eh, worth a look, but no bike is all-year-round. There will be a couple of days when there's just too much snow / ice / wind, and then what do you do?
[*] I believe that Turdman and Burgmong are also acceptable. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
Last edited by Rogerborg on 20:47 - 17 Jun 2013; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| j.silvs |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 j.silvs World Chat Champion
Joined: 01 Dec 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Marmalade |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Marmalade World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Apr 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 16:01 - 17 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
I had a piaggio X9 250 for a while and makes an excellent commuter. You can buy leg covers as well that stop your legs getting wet and the radiator air gets pushed under it as well keeping you warm.
You look and feel a bit of an idiot but you are a warm and dry idiot and it made it worthwhile for me.
Fast enough to be first off the lights, will cruise at 70 and uses not a great deal of petrol. ____________________ Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tarmacsurfer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tarmacsurfer World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:41 - 17 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
The shop that used to service the works bike issued either a Burgman (450cc) or an X9 (500cc) as a courtesy bike, so I've done a good few thousand miles on both as short haul despatch machines (ten hour day inside a 40 mile radius of Birmingham), can't fault them. Surprisingly good weather protection, felt solid on the motorway and handled traffic far better than I expected. The X9 even had en electric centre stand
I'd certainly run one as a commuter  ____________________ I'm immortal. Well, so far. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stevo as b4 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stevo as b4 World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 Jul 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| smithyithy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 smithyithy Spanner Monkey

Joined: 15 Feb 2013 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:05 - 17 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
Cheers for the advice guys. It's mainly cause driving just bored me now, I really don't like commuting in the car and I wish I could be bothered to take the CBR out in all weather, so wanted a kinda happy medium. I guess buy/run/replace idea with the car is a good one! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| calyx |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 calyx World Chat Champion
Joined: 11 Dec 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:05 - 23 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
Commuted on/in a burgervan 400 for 2 years.
It really is as comfy as it gets on a 2 wheeler. If you are not looking for morning fun (I am not talking about blowjobs here) it is the machine.
I also have to admit most of the time preferred burgervan over proper bike.  ____________________ Boris - London |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 13 years, 100 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|