Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


No headlight when engine not running

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Richmurrills
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 04 Mar 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:25 - 24 Aug 2013    Post subject: No headlight when engine not running Reply with quote

Hi all,

Probably a stupid question but;

I've just replaced my headlight bulb on my YBR 125 (2005-2007 model) as the filament for the dipped beam had blown and I didn't fancy running everywhere on full beams.

The new bulb's in fine and I have headlights when the engine is running but I don't get any light when the ignition is on but the engine isn't running.

I'm sure I used to so I'm guessing a fuse has blown. Could someone confirm that a) I'm not imagining things and b) It's likely to be a fuse that's gone when the filament went?

Cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:27 - 24 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the bikes I have owned have only had the light working when the engine is running.
____________________
Current Bikes:Honda 929RR Fireblade, Honda CD200 Benly (Project), Stomp Z2 140
Electric Bike Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jamesrs250
Nova Slayer



Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:55 - 24 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

all my bikes the lights are only on when the engine is running..apart from the bandit if you put the parking switch on...if it is a fuse just check all the fuses only about 6 of them
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

YBR Ric
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:11 - 24 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main headlight bulb only works on dip/main when the engine runs.
With the engine off, ignition on (as far as the headlamp goes) you will only have the 5w pilot light bulb lit.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Richmurrills
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 04 Mar 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:01 - 24 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBR Ric wrote:
The main headlight bulb only works on dip/main when the engine runs.
With the engine off, ignition on (as far as the headlamp goes) you will only have the 5w pilot light bulb lit.


Ok cool. I'm not sure I was even getting that but I'll check in the dark.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:07 - 24 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the lights are on when the engines running all is OK.

You don't have a separate fuse for the lights with engine running/nor running. I

t's probably a safety feature to ensure you don't kill your battery.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Richmurrills
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 04 Mar 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 24 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not worried from a safety POV, it's just bugging me as I'm *sure* it behaved differently before. Damn my brain. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:15 - 24 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richmurrills wrote:
Damn my brain. Smile


Perhaps 'The light is on but no one is home.' Very Happy
____________________
W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Richmurrills
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 04 Mar 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:42 - 24 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
Richmurrills wrote:
Damn my brain. Smile


Perhaps 'The light is on but no one is home.' Very Happy


Quite possibly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:56 - 24 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

my ZZR has a separate switch for the lights so they do come on with the ignition (if switch is on)

The Honda I had before it didn't have a separate lights switch so they used to come on with the engine (lower powered light before starting)
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:07 - 24 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need the lights on when the bikes off ? Lol
____________________
KLX 300r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave M
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 03 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:24 - 24 Aug 2013    Post subject: Re: No headlight when engine not running Reply with quote

Richmurrills wrote:
Hi all,

Probably a stupid question but;

I've just replaced my headlight bulb on my YBR 125 (2005-2007 model) as the filament for the dipped beam had blown and I didn't fancy running everywhere on full beams.

The new bulb's in fine and I have headlights when the engine is running but I don't get any light when the ignition is on but the engine isn't running.

I'm sure I used to so I'm guessing a fuse has blown. Could someone confirm that a) I'm not imagining things and b) It's likely to be a fuse that's gone when the filament went?

Pilot light is there as a fail safe just in case headlight fails completely so you have a little bit of light. Should only come on while engine is running.

Cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

uberkron
Crazy Courier



Joined: 12 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:57 - 24 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many 125 have a dc headlight, if it came on with the key thered not be long before you couldnt crank it over.
____________________
i ride a zip 50 2smoke. It overtakes a hundred times a day.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.31 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 76.3 Kb