Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Best media streaming box for TV?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:12 - 20 Sep 2013    Post subject: Best media streaming box for TV? Reply with quote

Looking to buy the first Gen WD TV live stream box to watch things from my hard drive.
Before i buy one i was wondering what you guys would recommend.

(No i don't want a raspberry pi)
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:41 - 21 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about streaming, as I have a PC hooked up to TV/Projector + Multiple 27" monitors....

However, I do have a couple Sumvision Cyclone Micro 2+ boxes that will play anything off an external HDD / USB stick. Specifically 1080p MKVs.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:34 - 21 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Cyclone Nano, that streams data across the network and can output to 1080p Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Walter Sobchak
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 08 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:28 - 21 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

the wd tv live is rated highly, i've had 2 (first one broke when hot swapping) pretty much always use a usb stick with it, always had problems with juttering streaming and accessing media shares, appears to be just me though...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:17 - 23 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I have a Cyclone Nano, that streams data across the network and can output to 1080p Thumbs Up


The reviews about this seem terrible.
But then again no one seems to be able to make their mind up about the setup. I really cannot stand jumpy sound or vision with streaming from my NAS so i need to avoid this.
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:23 - 23 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX Jay wrote:
However, I do have a couple Sumvision Cyclone Micro 2+ boxes that will play anything off an external HDD / USB stick. Specifically 1080p MKVs.


I have a WD NAS 3TB. You think i'd get perfect movie streaming from that Cyclone box? Seems people on Amazon have been seeing poor performance.
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:54 - 23 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you pm me your address I'll send you mine to play with... I haven't used it since relocating my tv to my bedroom Laughing

It streams stuff perfectly fine for me Thumbs Up

I followed this thread and flashed with non android ROM and it is fine.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1915281
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:09 - 23 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sony Outlet store has the discontinued SMP-N200 unit for £50. Link click here.

I got one the other month to try. It's not bad. I have issues with stuttering video but I'm thinking that's my setup (see my recent thread on request for network mains adaptor advice).

Only problem is that it does not recognise some formats. Read the spec for details. I've tried it using an old laptop as a DLNA server with serviio and also xbmc. I've had a problem with mkv but if I re-sample and put into MPEG2 they play. The serviio server remuxes some formats and I think this does not help the stuttering on my hardware. Newer kit I imagine should not have the same issue.

I found it does read from the USB input OK.

HTH Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:31 - 23 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sky Now box (Roku box) for a tenner, hacked with the Plex client and run Plex server on your PC .

Total outlay... £10


Hack instructions
____________________
Honda CBF125 ➝ NC700X
Honda CBF125 ↳ Speed Triple
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:03 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the first gen intel mac minis you can get them for about £150 on eBay.

They handle every bit of media you throw at them and can run pretty much anything any normal PC can. I normally hate the mac OS, but the simple 'my first OS' feel of it works quite well on the big screen.

All the cut down boxes suffer from inability to play one thing or another, or require a lot of time investment to hack and continue to tweak.

Coupled with a wireless mouse & keyboard I can't see a better low hassle solution around.
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:25 - 25 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to upgrade to a smart TV imo Wink

Quality and spec aside, the best thing about my TV is it's ability to access stuff from my server in the cupboard and play it directly over 5ghz wifi with no performance issues whatsoever. Even raw BD50 (45gb+) disc images play without so much as a hitch.

Physical media is so obsolete it's not even funny.
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:40 - 25 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seb wrote:
Time to upgrade to a smart TV imo Wink

Quality and spec aside, the best thing about my TV is it's ability to access stuff from my server in the cupboard and play it directly over 5ghz wifi with no performance issues whatsoever. Even raw BD50 (45gb+) disc images play without so much as a hitch.

Physical media is so obsolete it's not even funny.


My issue wit smart TVs is that they will become obsolete very quickly. Manufacturers have run out of reasons for people to upgrade as HD TVs do the job perfectly adequately for the majority of the population. They're also likely to last 10 years. With smart TVs, all they have to do is wait for a new format, forget to provide an update and artificially create an upgrade cycle.

That's why I'll happily stick with a PC connected (or mac in my case). Codecs are always going to be released one way or another...
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:19 - 25 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
If you pm me your address I'll send you mine to play with... I haven't used it since relocating my tv to my bedroom Laughing

It streams stuff perfectly fine for me Thumbs Up

I followed this thread and flashed with non android ROM and it is fine.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1915281


Thanks for all the input guys, really helped Thumbs Up
Sadly as I almost wrote my car off and I’m selling the bike, I’m broke as fuck. I’ll be able to get on in 2014. Laughing
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:58 - 26 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:
My issue wit smart TVs is that they will become obsolete very quickly. Manufacturers have run out of reasons for people to upgrade as HD TVs do the job perfectly adequately for the majority of the population. They're also likely to last 10 years. With smart TVs, all they have to do is wait for a new format, forget to provide an update and artificially create an upgrade cycle.

That's why I'll happily stick with a PC connected (or mac in my case). Codecs are always going to be released one way or another...


Not strictly true, a decent setup handling the transcoding in the background levels the field like a bowls lawn. HEVC is no issue for me despite having a smart TV that predates the standard by a couple of years, the sole looming issue is 4K should I choose to adopt it. I've still technically got a PC connected, it's just sat at the opposite end of the house where the noise and heat from those drives won't bother me.
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 12 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.62 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 88 Kb