Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Now about GPU - I WON!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:37 - 05 Aug 2013    Post subject: Now about GPU - I WON! Reply with quote

Hello, today I over clocked my old Q6600 (OEM cooler), I clocked it up to 2.8GHz, we've got here 33°C+ outside so I did not want to over-do it. Anyway, at factory settings 2.4GHz the CPU/SYSTEM(chipset) temp was about 54°C/46°C at idle with fan running around 1950rpm, right now I run the CPU at 2.8GHz, CPU voltage 1.28, at 49°C/46°C and the fan goes also at 1950rpm, at idle. Tried some games and in many of those the temps were even lower when OC'ed, not all games profits from 2.8GHz, but many of them do. RAM is also a bit over clocked, everything else is stock.

How is it possible, that the temps are lower when OC'ed and is it possible I ruined something? Thinking

Thank you
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor


Last edited by RhynoCZ on 15:46 - 13 Feb 2014; edited 5 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:30 - 05 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding voltage will always mean more heat, it's likely a background process soiled your factory settings run.
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:53 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, I'm gonna check that, thanks Thumbs Up
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:16 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my q6600 at 3.8ghz, but I settled on 3.6 for safety, even water it wouldn't go above 60 under load I believe. Thumbs Up
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:18 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run it at 350x8, what did you set as multiplier and what's the difference between different multiplier numbers?

I use boxed cooler, I'm cheap and this is the last thing I wanted to try before I'm gonna have to spend some money on new hardware.

I was thinking of a new CPU cooler, there's one that people recommend, it's called: ,,Gelid Solution Tranquillo'', costs about 20 pounds, is it worth it and I don't mean the money.

https://www.eteknix.com/wp-content/uploads/vb/1429-Gelid%20Tranquillo%20Rev.%202%20accessories%20and%20mounting.jpg
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor


Last edited by RhynoCZ on 12:40 - 06 Aug 2013; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:25 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seb wrote:
Adding voltage will always mean more heat, it's likely a background process soiled your factory settings run.


Another question, you say lower voltage means lower temp, do you happen to know what is the lowest voltage a Q6600 on Asus P5K/EPU can handle? It seems to me like witchcraft. Smile
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:38 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock is 1.20, I vaguely remember some of the later variants going down to 1.18? Not gospel though, whilst I had one, I never bothered overclocking it as I had a silent setup at the time.
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shinigami
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:11 - 06 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

my q6600 is running at 3.4, can't remember at what voltage and can't remember temps as I set it up aaaages ago and it was fine then and running stable as anything since.

anywho i have this cooler on mine

https://www.amazon.co.uk/computers-accessories/dp/B0068OI7T8
____________________
Current: Honda City Fly CLR125 2003 Honda CB600F Hornet 2008 Yamaha FZ6 S2 + 1991 Kawasaki GPZ500
"Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:23 - 07 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I'm gonna try to reduce the voltage, what is the worst case scenario here?
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:26 - 07 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Alright, I'm gonna try to reduce the voltage, what is the worst case scenario here?


It won;t beable to run at speed cause the voltage ain't there.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:01 - 09 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand, while we're at it, I've got another question. I think my GPU HD6790 is loosing it, there's still no way I can run catalyst control center, not even in linux and the driver restarts quite often + when I move or scroll a window, in win.desktop, it leaves there marks, like when you've got no drivers in the system at all.

When I tried TechPowerUp GPU-Z, just to see if it runs, it said openCL error, uninstaled openCL and the GPU-Z worked. According to sensors everything seems to be alright, the temp is a bit high, but that'd normal in this weather.

What do you think and how can I get the catalyst control center to work? Games work, sort of, some of them restart the driver Mad
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

prawny1
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:47 - 15 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your motherboard supports it the 1333fsb bsel mod will give you 3Ghz, that way your motherboard will select all its timings and stuff to be optimal rather than having the chipset, ram and what not overclocked too so things generally are a bit more stable.

Most of the time they will run like that at stock volts but if you have to add a little it is not the end of the world, overclock limits and instability are not always due to the cpu, it can be thanks to other components reaching their limits.

Are your gpu issues due to the overclock or was it like that all the time?
____________________
hellkat wrote:

Some people are only alive cos its against the law to kill them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:44 - 16 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, according to ASUS it handles: FSB (HT, QPI) 1600/1333/1066/800 MHz

The GPU problem was there before I OC'd the CPU. One day I updated the Catalyst control center and I had no CCC since then + what I've mentioned earlier. I tried nearly anything to get the CCC working and there was no success. The last thing would be format C:\, which I'm not gonna try, at the moment.

I do not want to invest any more money into this PC, I'd rather build a new one.

Right now, I run the CPU/FSB at 2.8Ghz/1403Mhz and DRAM 438Mhz (400Mhz standard).
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

prawny1
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:04 - 16 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try for a clean install of the graphics card drivers.

First: download driver sweeper from guru3d https://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweeper.html

Second: go to add remove programs and uninstall the ccc program/manager etc.

Third: go to device manager and uninstall the hardware

Forth: reboot into safe mode windows will prompt to install drivers for the card just cancel it all.

Fifth: run driver sweeper and delete all ati drivers (I boot into safe mode twice and run driver sweeper again to be sure)

sixth: boot back into windows and cancel all prompts to install drivers again (you can run a registry cleaner now too if you want to get rid of any obsolete registry data) then rerun your desired ccc/driver package.

You should now have a clean graphics driver install with no conflicting old drivers.
____________________
hellkat wrote:

Some people are only alive cos its against the law to kill them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:10 - 19 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna look into that, thank you prawny1 Thumbs Up
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

prawny1
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:04 - 19 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing you can do if to keep your drivers uncluttered is add a new environmental variable to the registry to show non connected device drivers in device manager.

To do it you need to go to advanced system setting and add this environmental variable to system settings.

devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices

Variable=1

Now when you reboot and check the show hidden devices option in device manager it should show all the devices ever connected to the pc,

Those not currently connected will be greyed out so they are easy to identify, it is an excellent way to fix usb related issues, or to clean old monitor drivers and stuff.
____________________
hellkat wrote:

Some people are only alive cos its against the law to kill them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:12 - 20 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, today I did the first solution to fix the CCC, and it's still the same. It lets me to instal the AMD package but the instalation ends with a yellow question mark. I click to see the log about problems and there's nothing there. The CCC still does not work and games don't work either. It says I've got to update my GPU driver, well I CAN'T!. Mad

And, I'm too stupid to do the other solution. Thumbs Down

EDIT: When I try to check the version of drivers, it says everything is up to date. Confused
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:54 - 10 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, the CCC finaly works. Well, I had to go format c:\.
Anyway, I'm stuck on 11.4 version and can not update it eventhough it tells me to update it. I get quite bad gaming performance on DX11, where I used to have 60fps I get around 25fps. DX9 seems to work alright. The OS is fresh instal, still the vista 64bit. Everything in the OS is up to date.
Is it possible that ATi does not want me to update the CCC/driver or that the GPU is faulty, somehow? Confused
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:36 - 10 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just build a new system, with recent OS, 7 or 8.1, you're going to struggle a lot with 6 year old hardware these days.
____________________
covent.gardens: lihp is my most favourite member ever
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:48 - 13 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of my curiosity I tried the driver sweeper in fresh instal of the OS and then went straight to sapphire site to get ''their'' driver and ccc and it works now. It's still slow, as a 6 year old PC should be, but it works, DX11 is back in business. Thumbs Up

EDIT: I still can not believe it, I was about to go to get some new HW. Smile

EDIT 2: PSU is still not perfect, gonna try to fit there a new fan. Thumbs Up
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:27 - 13 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCC being a cunt? Laughing You must be new to computers. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:51 - 13 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
CCC being a cunt? Laughing You must be new to computers. Razz


I admit, since I got into motorcycling, I've lost the track of new stuff, meaning no spare money = no new toys. I started with bikes 5 years ago which means, in real life, I missed like 20 years in PC world. Laughing
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 232 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 3.54 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 120.99 Kb