|
|
| Author |
Message |
| c_dug |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 c_dug Super Spammer

Joined: 04 Sep 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:19 - 24 Mar 2014 Post subject: My broken brakes. |
 |
|
My brakes are broken!
I was off all last week getting the sv up to scratch and the diversion repaired from its crash and now tomorrow I have to get a train to work because the back brake of the sv shat it's pads half way home from work today and the diversion is constantly showing the brake light from the front leaver.
I can deal with the sv issue, new pads and pins, I could do with some advice with the diversion though.
I recently fitted a tdm900 reservoir/master cylinder to match a set of blue spots up front and I'm not sure if there is an issue with the master cylinder or an issue with the switch itself. The issue is that when I release the brake the piston doesn't seem to push the lever far enough back to click the microswitch. The switch is compressed about half of its travel, but it doesn't click for another mm or so.
I'm unsure if the master cylinder should be releasing further than it is, or if the microswitch should be clicking earlier. So my question is, should the master cylinder push the switch all the way back in with ease, or should the microswitch be clicking quite early in its travel?
I've taken a couple of videos to show better what I mean but they're being very slow to upload, I'll pop them up in a bit. ____________________ I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete. Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:29 - 24 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
The easiest way out of that is to junk the switch and buy a pressure-switch banjo bolt for the front brake hose. This puts the light on when it detects pressure in the system, as you apply the brake.
EDIT: or glue some packing to the lever to press the switch earlier. ____________________ a.k.a 'Geri'
132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| c_dug |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 c_dug Super Spammer

Joined: 04 Sep 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| gavcarter |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 gavcarter Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 28 Mar 2009 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete. Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| davebike |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 davebike World Chat Champion
Joined: 15 Nov 2013 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 08:50 - 25 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
This issue is caused by a very slightly the wrong Brake leaver
The master cylinder accepts several different leavers some have very slightly different arms to work the brake switch
The cure is either the correct leaver (very hard to sort out) or a little packing on the arm the works the switch
Dave ____________________ Dave
NC750Xdct + others at work !
[email protected] |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| c_dug |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 c_dug Super Spammer

Joined: 04 Sep 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 12 years, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|