|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Sparkss |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sparkss Nova Slayer

Joined: 20 Jun 2013 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:09 - 17 Mar 2014 Post subject: r1 gearbox dead? |
 |
|
Not even done 100 miles on it its a 99 model
I started noticing huge clunks from 1st to 2nd, sometimes it would go into N instead, got on with it.. then (not sure what gear change I was doing) it got stuck into N. Wouldnt go into 1st or second, stopped off in a carpark, I can get it into 1st if I spend ten mins kicking down and eventually it goes.. I tried 2nd and it stayed in N.
so in the end I drove it in first gear all the way home, when I got near home I managed to get it into 2nd clutchless, tried for 3rd and it didnt engage, No N light but it was as if it was in N. another 10mins of trying to kick it back down to 2nd then I rode it home in that gear.
Been trying it cold, no luck, it also goes back into N when I roll off the throttle.
expensive? Not contacted the seller yet, where do I stand on this? ____________________ R1
Last edited by Sparkss on 22:13 - 17 Mar 2014; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| covent.gardens |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 covent.gardens World Clap Champion

Joined: 09 Jun 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sparkss |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sparkss Nova Slayer

Joined: 20 Jun 2013 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete. Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:17 - 17 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
100 miles of no-problem riding suggests the seller knew nothing about your pending problems.
Cost of repair depends on your mechanical acumen. If you're paying someone to do it all then yeah it's gonna cost a good wedge. ____________________ a.k.a 'Geri'
132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sparkss |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sparkss Nova Slayer

Joined: 20 Jun 2013 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| instigator |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 instigator Super Spammer

Joined: 19 Oct 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| lihp |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 lihp World Chat Champion
Joined: 22 Sep 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete. Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:54 - 17 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Could be a busted detent pawl spring, but it's more likely to be a fork I think.
Only one way to find out.. ____________________ a.k.a 'Geri'
132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Conzar |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Conzar World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jun 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Llama-Farmer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Llama-Farmer World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Jan 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| m3-paul |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 m3-paul Spanner Monkey
Joined: 03 Feb 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 09:00 - 18 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
I don't know anything about R1s so ignore my ignorance as I am comparing to my 97 fireblade
I ruined fourth gear on my blade two months after getting it last year. My bike is absolutely mint so I was surprised to see it let go just like you.
I got the gear clusters replaced with a good set I bought from eBay.
I had never dropped a four stroke bike engine (done a few 2Ts).
I dropped the engine in three hours. Apart from the obvious weight it is actually an easy job.
If you can drop the engine yourself which, if you have a paddock stand and a trolley jack plus a set of reasonable sockets etc is a straightforward one person job then get that lump out and take it to a bike shop and just get them to split the cases. Get yourself the gearbox guts off eBay or a breaker and within a week you can have it running again.
Getting the engine back in is a little easier with two so you can align it in the frame but again, is doable with care. I did all mine on my own and was out, repaired and back in within a day - with no prior 4T engine removal experience. ____________________ Yamaha TZR250 - love the smell of TTS!!!!
CBR900RR Fireblade - so much fun |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fizzer Thou |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fizzer Thou World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Aug 2011 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 10:06 - 18 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
From what I have read on the www.yamahar.co.uk forum it is a common occurance for the selector spring to go.Costs about £5 for the spring itself then about 30 minutes to replace it.It has not gone on my 5JJ R1 but it is fairly common on the earlier 4XV
Part 11 on the fiche.It may well be an idea to have part 25 to hand as well.
https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-yzfr1l-1999_model10777/partslist/C-05.html#results ____________________ Just talk bikes.What else is there?
Always have a 'Plan B' |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete. Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:28 - 18 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
You would know if that centering spring was broke because the pedal would have no spring in it. The other thing to check is no25, thats the pawl spring that holds the shift drum in the right place. ____________________ a.k.a 'Geri'
132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sparkss |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sparkss Nova Slayer

Joined: 20 Jun 2013 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:16 - 19 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
thanks for the posts, I've had a couple of people tell me its not a hard job so I might just go for it, worst case scenario; give up, chuck the engine in the boot and get it down to the shop, linkages seem ok unfortunately
I'm pretty sure the gearbox is built into the engine? this is supposed to be a 23k engine and after having the gearbox go on me and so many people telling me they always go on R1s I would prefer the piece of mind that I've got a decent gearbox instead of getting a new engine and worrying about it, worth a punt if I could get one as cheap as 200, not likely though.
I hope its a spring, took it out a minute ago, all runs fine until 3rd gear which acts like N, then it's a pain in the balls getting it into 2nd, as you attempt this you can hear grinding. sounds like something is broken...
it's really strange though, I was having trouble with 1st and 2nd and now its 3rd only  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete. Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 06:52 - 19 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
You'll be chewing up stuff that isn't damaged. I shouldn't ride it any more if I were you. ____________________ a.k.a 'Geri'
132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fizzer Thou |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fizzer Thou World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Aug 2011 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 10:35 - 19 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
In order to remove the engine you would need to disconnect where the gearchange mechanism attaches to the engine.Under that small cover are the springs that have been mentioned.Mark where the follower arm locates on the splines so that you can bolt it back together correctly afterwards (just under the yellow zipty in the pic)
https://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w384/Rhencullen5/Picture011.jpg
Should take no longer than 10 minutes to have a looksee.
The gearbox is quite easy to get to once the bottom crankcase is removed.But quite a few other parts need to be removed before you can get to this stage
https://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w384/Rhencullen5/Picture046-1.jpg ____________________ Just talk bikes.What else is there?
Always have a 'Plan B' |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| woo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 woo World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:35 - 19 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
if your in london or near london id recommend you contact https://www.mhmotorcycles.co.uk/ they have always done right by me and i dont think it should be too expensive as in £350+
they could also collect your bike for you and return it to you ____________________ Elen sila lummen omentielvo! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Speedfreak13 |
This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Speedfreak13 Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 20 Mar 2014 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 06:32 - 20 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Have u checked this?? Same happened to mine cost £5 took 10-15mins seen it loads! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sparkss |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sparkss Nova Slayer

Joined: 20 Jun 2013 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:08 - 31 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
it was the spring.
the gearbox is still a bit noisy but its 15 years old. 120 happy miles so far, I'm glad to be back on it but i'm going away for 9 weeks soon  ____________________ R1 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 12 years, 185 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|