Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


AC engine in DC Loom Monkey Bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

wots
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:01 - 02 Aug 2014    Post subject: AC engine in DC Loom Monkey Bike Reply with quote

2 Monkey Bikes
one is a Lifan 125 with AC on the label from the stator
The other is a Lifan 72cc with a DC stator and therefore all the wiring to suit.

As in my sig the 72cc is perfect but having trouble registering, still plodding along but desperate to get going. So swapping everything from the 72cc to the 125cc. As all all the lighting works. Without the reg and CDI connected everything works. Motor spins and lights etc. work.

What is the quickest and easiest way to sort the AC engine to the DC loom. I have everything from both bikes and they both ran. Spare CDI's and regs.

I was considering a stator swap then realised that the 72cc appears to be wet (oil) when attempting to take the cover off. Before I did this I wanted to confirm it was the best thing to do.

Thanks in advance.
____________________
Currently: Yamaha DT 125 LC2,Repsol Fireblade, and Bumblebee MSX 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:28 - 02 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought stators were AC and regulator/rectifier coverted(?) that to DC for the ancillaries.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wots
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:31 - 02 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine has an 'AC' label on the wires from the stator on the 125 and DC on the 72cc.

I did think that may be the case but the CDI has 4 wires on the DC and 5 on the AC. Not realising the difference in CDI's I blew up a 5 wire on the 4.
____________________
Currently: Yamaha DT 125 LC2,Repsol Fireblade, and Bumblebee MSX 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:34 - 02 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Oh, snap
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wots
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:47 - 02 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked on OORacing. And I think you need a stator and reg of the same type. AC or DC
____________________
Currently: Yamaha DT 125 LC2,Repsol Fireblade, and Bumblebee MSX 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wots
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:07 - 03 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I've self-solved!

I'm using the short loom that came with the new engine, and splicing this into the existing loom and moving over CDI&Reg/Rec. Everything seems to match up. The red/black is missing from the connector to the CDI, this I can patch all the way through. Only thing after that to get right is the kill.

Incidentally, the 'wet' stator thing, I thought it seemed odd, turns out there is a bolt at the bottom with a washer. I removed this which was not needed when a removed the cover. It's the same size as the rest.

Just carefully splicing in the loom now, I'll advise on progress later!
____________________
Currently: Yamaha DT 125 LC2,Repsol Fireblade, and Bumblebee MSX 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wots
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:09 - 05 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian from OORacing came up trumps, really helpful guy. Use existing DC CDI, wire blue/white on stator to blue/yellow on CDI. Don't connect red/black. Works perfectly, side stand switch, kill and ignition.

Spent 10 minutes trying to figure out why the rear light didn't work, then realised I'd borrowed the bulb from my wet dream Embarassed

MOT, sometime this week, otherwise seems great.
____________________
Currently: Yamaha DT 125 LC2,Repsol Fireblade, and Bumblebee MSX 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.53 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 53.98 Kb