Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda X8R not starting...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:10 - 02 Nov 2014    Post subject: Honda X8R not starting... Reply with quote

Hey,

Got an X8R.

Has fuel, is getting fuel to carb happily. Carb is spotless.
Has compression, more than enough.

Is only sparking when you let go of the starter button, just 1 single spark, whilst cranking there is fuck all. Neutral

Any ideas? Its crap weather so thought I'd spend the day fixing, however after making sure everything fuel wise is great, it just won't spark on the button, only when you let go.

It does have some aftermarket bits, PM Tuning CDI so perhaps that is causing issues, however there isn't much you can do with it bar adjust "delay" and "rpm" so I won't be messing with it, no idea what they do. Thumbs Up

Any hints/tips/fixes I can do would be greatly appreciated, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 02 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodgy coil?
Tried an alternative plug?
Thinking
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 02 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgy coil, check there's power going to it

coils are really cheap, £8.50 off the bay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IGNITION-COIL-C-W-HT-SPARK-PLUG-LEAD-FOR-HONDA-SKY-X8R-/160910023178?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2576fc1a0a

same type used on a peug speedfight and honda vision, they go regularly on them

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:56 - 02 Nov 2014    Post subject: Re: Honda X8R not starting... Reply with quote

Checked the kill switch wiring system? Ie side stand switch and so on?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:09 - 02 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

No kill switch stuff on there.

Could try a new coil, does the same with any spark plug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:33 - 02 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have life.

I just spent a few minutes stripping the coil off the frame. I assume they have lots of spiders in York as I found a family of them chilling on the coil..

I've given it a quick clean up and hey presto, tick tick tick Mr. Green

How to figure out why its not pumping oil Shocked
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:25 - 02 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall, however getting to it requires either cutting the frame or removing the swing arm... Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 02 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paddy.

The XR8R/S is one of my all time favourite 50cc twist and go's, being a solid Japanese built bike, and also having an all cast alloy frame for cool points.

The PM tuning CDi, will have been fitted to bypass the re-limiters in the Honda Cdi, as they did a very good job as usual with restricting the performance and speed to 30mph.

There's a limiter at 7500rpm, which apparently can be by-passed somehow, but another limiter at 9250rpm, which means that proper reverse cone sports pipe's don't work as well as they should, hence why people fit aftermarket Cdi's.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 10:34 - 03 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If pump is an issue you can run on premix until sorted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:06 - 03 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Premix would be fine, however I aim to run an additional fuel tank, just because Laughing So would be ball ache to mix an unknown amount of fuel.

That and I'd have to upjet etc.
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 174 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1