Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2015 Health and Fitness thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 11:48 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: 2015 Health and Fitness thread Reply with quote

I noticed that no-one's done a follow-up on the 2014 thread yet this year, so I figured I'd have a crack at it.

I'm sick of being a proto-hambeast, so I started running back in mid-November. Still not great at it yet but I'm improving, and the cycling to work definitely helps. Frustratingly enough, the first thing to happen to me as soon as I start any form of exercise is that my legs grow enough to start eating the world. As such, weight measurements are damn near useless to me, since any minor decrease in fat is vastly outweighed by the increase in leg muscle.

Christmas has, of course, thrown my food regimen somewhat off-track, although it'll be easier once I'm back at work - less access to the local pizza place, and all that Laughing

My goal is to be able to do a 5K by March, and I'd like to be able to hit 10K this year, although I don't know how viable that is.

What about you lot? Is it just the usual suspects slogging their guts out, or are there any new converts to the cause like myself?

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched from pizzas, pastas, burgers and chips to healthy food and started moderate exercise at home from just after Christmas. It's low carb/fat diet with more proteins... so chicken, turkey, tuna, spinach, natural sugars (started making my own fruit smoothies without added sugar), some low carb/far and high protein powders and nuts (good fats) instead. More vegetables and greens.
The body needs all - carbs, fats and proteins. You just need to balance it.

I feel so much better already Thumbs Up

Last edited by Musketeer on 12:25 - 11 Jan 2015; edited 2 times in total

swampy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna make a concerted effort in getting fitter this year. I gave up smoking 18 months ago and put on a stone and half. I've since knocked half a stone off that, but am still probably a stone and a half heavier than I wanna be (5'10" and currently 14 stone - all on my belly).

I'm riding my push bike to work when I can, but its only 1.5 miles away(all uphill though). I'm planning on starting running this week...

I've got no real ambitions with my fitness, but am considering trying to enter a mini triathalon as a goal to work towards...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:34 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Re: 2015 Health and Fitness thread Reply with quote

Not the person I was expecting to see start the thread - but then less body fat=more space for pork Razz.

I've recently knackered my knee - think it's just getting better, helped by a leg brace.

So when that sorts it's self will be doing more running and cycling (still cycle to work back, but only 2 miles each way and it's gentle with the dog.)

Shoulder(s) still dodgy. I've concluded it's an impingement, so need to find some exercises etc targetted at that. Whenever that's sorted, more weights and climbing.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:38 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Peppers is going back to self defence classes for an hour a week and will be doing a bit of swimming as well.
That and trying not to be such a pie-eater should? make things a bit better?

Eat less = save money on toilet paper Laughing Thumbs Up

Last edited by pepperami on 14:19 - 11 Jan 2015; edited 1 time in total

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 13:39 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Re: 2015 Health and Fitness thread Reply with quote

G wrote:
Not the person I was expecting to see start the thread - but then less body fat=more space for pork Razz
I may be the Pork Lord, but I have yet to oust the Pork Void that you could legitimately claim to be. Here's hoping that by running a shitload, I'll up my metabolism to the point where I can topple your lofty position. Laughing

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:53 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fat.
If I stand up straight I can't see my penis.
I have little tits.
My bike pants don't fit me.
My 30" waist jeans that just to fit just right don't fit, my 32" waist jeans are a little tight.
I nearly fell into my own belly button.

Those of you who have met me will know that this is very very strange.
I have always been slim with next to no body fat, but this gut and tits have appeared out of nowhere.
I've instructed my missus to get rid of these new additions.

Portion control and healthy eating incoming.

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't managed to sort myself out another XC/Strava bike since I had to give the other one back last year. I have had a daughter in the meantime though so any routine with regards to eating I had has well and truly gone out of the window. This means I'm not eating as much as I used to so my body shape hasn't changed much at all. The weather has turned crap so I've not been out mountain biking much but I have done a tiny bit of cycling about on my small jump bike.

My goal this year is to get another bike and then set myself a realistic target to cycle a set amount each week and slowly increase it and track it with Strava. I'd like to start at around 150km per week and go from there. I've seen a few cool places around 50-70km outside of Berlin so if I can get a bike in the very near future maybe I will aim to cycle to some of these places in the summer.

I still hate running and I'm finding it really hard to motivate myself to do anything with my small selection of weights.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 82kg @ 6'2". I'd like to be closer to 75kg really.

January has got off to a good start - no beer, no bread - mostly paleo. I feel a lot less bloated, let's see what I weigh in a month.
Jewlio Iglesias This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:15 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every morning, I do 20 push ups, 30 crunches and when I feel like it, I do some squats and neck exercise. It does not take that much of time and I keep myself in shape during the winter break. The plan is not to feel all beaten up after the first spring ride on my zxr. Thumbs Up

The999Kid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a fitness test with th ambulance service in 6 months time... Got 9.4 on the bleep test last Tuesday (part of my core trust induction). Aiming for 11 when it gets revisited. So training and proper eating to facilitate this.

Also a half decent body to go on holiday with wouldn't go amiss!
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone going to post a "before" photo then revisit at different times of the year?

I read stuff like this:

garth wrote:
I'm 82kg @ 6'2"

CaNsA wrote:
I'm fat

swampy wrote:
5'10" and currently 14 stone

And just cannot visualise it especially with all this talk of muscle weighing more than fat etc etc

I'm happy to go first to prove I'm not just perving on BCF Laughing

I'm currently just under 100kg and am 6'0". I would consider myself average build but can see some definition when I tense Laughing

InB4 the ancient "Do I Have Potential" thread...

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started going to the gym about 3 months ago but am only now starting to see some change.

I'm 5'10" and 72kg, mostly lean muscle and a bit of belly! I'm what they call an Ectomorph, ie. I'm skinny, struggle to put on mass and have high metabolism.

My goals are mainly aesthetic changes and general fitness. Doing a really intense regime at the moment which consists of high weights and low reps. Nutrition is still a bit out there, trying to stick to a basic rule of 70:30:20 of protein:carb:fats. Trying to take in as many calories as I can at the moment too.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

6'2" 82kg ≠ 6'2" 82kg

Depends on muscle/fat mass.

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat as cansa in that i'm a naturally thin man but years of ale and pies have gone straight to my gut. I've still got a think face and thin arms legs etc but my 'waist' is 36-38" and it looks like I could breastfeed.

I'm 6'3" and 200lbs and the last time I went more than 2 days without a drink would be over 6 months ago.

I've got a little un on the way so I'm setting myself a target of getting in shape before it's born at the end of May. I'm now limiting myself to drinking just one day a week and im doing 30-45 mins every morning before work on my new NordicTrack bike in the spare room. I'd prefer to run but years of road running have buggered my knees up.

I'm taking before and after pics and measurements but no-one wants to see a pale fat-thin man.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a health check at work, it was voluntary not mandatory, but I'm an opportunist when it comes to having a paid skive.

Weight 79.4 kilo
Height 1.87m
BMI 23
blood pressure 112/67
cholesterol 5.26 (HDL 1.57, TRG 1.23 LDL 3.12)

QRISK 3.48%

Didn't bloat much over Christmas, mostly watched what I ate, though had a fair bit of chocolate.

Been running a few times this week, managed 3 miles in 25 minutes today directly after a cycle ride where I pushed myself a bit, and after my first "big" work out of 2015 on Friday night too. Lower legs are a little sore.

Main goal at the moment, get as trim and buff looking as possible for overseas holiday April19 to June 1st Embarassed Also, to be able to wear 32" waist jeans. I am 34" now.

So mostly, monitor what I eat quite closely.

Last edited by thx1138 on 16:25 - 11 Jan 2015; edited 1 time in total

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a smoothie maker for christmas with all intentions of getting funky with some fruit / veg smoothies.

Since then I've been throwing chocolate ice-cream in by the tub with any chocolate I can find around the house. Razz

Uni pressures, innit.

I'm thinking late this year I will join a gym and start 'lifting'

But completely put off because of uni work, if I can't put in the time, I'm not interested. Sad

Thumbs Up

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

KLR600 wrote:
Is anyone going to post a "before" photo then revisit at different times of the year?

I read stuff like this:

garth wrote:
I'm 82kg @ 6'2"

CaNsA wrote:
I'm fat

swampy wrote:
5'10" and currently 14 stone

And just cannot visualise it especially with all this talk of muscle weighing more than fat etc etc

I'm happy to go first to prove I'm not just perving on BCF Laughing

I'm currently just under 100kg and am 6'0". I would consider myself average build but can see some definition when I tense Laughing

InB4 the ancient "Do I Have Potential" thread...

Sounds like you're gonna have to start the before photos... 100kg with "only some definition if you tense" sounds like disillusioned porker territory myself.

I was a bit over 110kg and just an inch taller. I didn't think I was that big until I saw a particularly unflattering photo and tried & failed to climb up a medium/low wall in the same week.

Quite a few years on and I've been all the way down to 75kg but am now bulking up a bit at 87kg. Probably got the best muscle definition now since leaving weekend farm work that I did at 6th form.

Which leads me on to my goals for the year...

A 350kg combined lift (dead, bench & squat), with ohp, barbell row in proportion.
Whilst also prepping for the half marathon - https://routeduvin.lu

Through a combination of https://stronglifts.com and a couple of cardio workouts a week... And a bit of cycling once the weather gets better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
I'm fat.
If I stand up straight I can't see my penis.

I'm fat.
If I stand up straight, I can still see my penis.

Does this mean I have a big penis?

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mJZ wrote:
6'2" 82kg ≠ 6'2" 82kg

Depends on muscle/fat mass.

Thumbs Up

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:

Sounds like you're gonna have to start the before photos... 100kg with "only some definition if you tense" sounds like disillusioned porker territory myself.

*Waits for page to get close to the end before posting a photo...*

Fair enough, I will go first! Be kind BCF...

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/IMG_6566_zps70018536.jpg

I'm standing up straight with my shoulders back and breathing normally in that photo. Those shorts are a 34" waist and a bit tight but I can't wear 36" waist jeans without a belt. Suppose I could have sorted the pockets out too! I can see some moobs starting in that photo which isn't great. My thighs are pretty big thanks to cycling all of my life but I wasn't about to get lycra'd up for you lot to laugh at me Laughing I don't have any scales to hand but at my last weigh in just before Christmas I was around 98kg and I know I'm 6'0" in my socks.

I will reference that photo at various points in the year. I'd like to lose some bodyfat, gain a bit of definition and bulk up a bit. I've been saying that since I was in my late teens though and I love a pizza so we'll see how it goes.

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

After changing jobs in September from one where I walked two miles each way to an hour's commute by car, I decided to get off my fat arse in October. Since then I've packed in the fags and been running three times per week, I can now run 3 miles comfortably under 30 minutes and can do a 6.5 minute mile too; nothing special but I was completely untrained and a chubbster 12 weeks ago.

Just before Christmas I reacquired my weights, olympic barbell, bench and squat rack and moved them into my garage. About 5 years ago, I was fit as fuck, played rugby twice a week and could solidly deadlift/squat/bench 2x/1.5x/1x my bodyweight so my goal is to get back there.

I've gained a lot of strength and mass on the Starting Strength programme before so I'm sticking to that; its going well so far. I've cut the running back to twice per week, one interval session and one longer, easy run.

I'm pleased so far. I'm cleaned my diet up but nothing drastic but my general goals are:

Get stronger on all three lifts
Run a 5k and 10k
Eat less pies
Stay off the fags
Not be completely fucked after a 20 minute track day session

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My missus made some of these and they are proper noms even though they are healthy...

They will last a good few days in the fridge, so you can make a load.
As with all freshly cooked food, let it cool to room temp before putting them in the fridge.

https://www.recipegirl.com/2014/10/18/egg-muffins/

6 with Chinese 5 spice
6 with sweetcorn
6 with curly kale, what ever that is.

https://i.imgur.com/jg1rCax.jpg

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 11 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still bossing it as usual.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 108 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 1 of 24