Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

125ccm motorbike for long-travel journey

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

vlastimilfise...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:28 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: 125ccm motorbike for long-travel journey Reply with quote

Hey guys!

I have 21 now and I'm riding on a motorbike from 15. Last years I rode just on scooter or something like that. Nothing cool.

But now I want to buy a new (but can be older, of course) motorbike. My goal is long travelling. Like trips around Europe, across USA etc. Travelling is my big passion and now I want to travel with 125ccm buddy. Smile And yes, I know is it hard to travel with 125ccm bike, but you know, why not?

I'm looking for something like Yamaha WR125R, but new one is pretty expensive. Do you know about some alternatives which I can buy older, than go to the shop, do GO of the power and the price will be still attractive and motorbike cool for the journey what I need?

I'm looking also about something what is popular on the whole word. I mean, if the bike will be broken on the another side of continent, there will be not big problem to solve that.

Thanks a lot for your tips and ideas!
And sorry for my English. Smile

Vlastimil F.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're wanting to be able to repair it in the back of beyond you need a Honda CG or similar as they've been used and copied around the world so parts are easy to come by and they're simple machines.

even better would be a Honda C90, but that's a smaller bike again. There's a chap on youtube who's done C90 euro tours

vlastimilfise...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:41 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
If you're wanting to be able to repair it in the back of beyond you need a Honda CG or similar as they've been used and copied around the world so parts are easy to come by and they're simple machines.

even better would be a Honda C90, but that's a smaller bike again. There's a chap on youtube who's done C90 euro tours

Thanks for so fast respond. I checked the bikes already. It looks more like a "tramp" bike or how call that. Smile

I want something more like the Yamaha I posted. Enduro style..

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=306650

Round the twisties and in town it's epic. I can throw this thing around. Cult following, lots of spares and upgrades. My other one is now a 181cc

Not as small as they look.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a full licence then don't limit yourself to a 125. There are 250cc bikes that will be just as easy to ride but much better when you have to ride on a main road.
I wouldn't suggest anyone buys a new bike but that depends on the prices/taxes where you are.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol your English is better than a LOT of British members here.
Any European specification Yamaha is a good choice, they're reliable and parts are easy to come by.

I wouldn't worry about a broken WR125, I would worry about a stolen WR125. Thieves like that sort of bike. A YBR125 may look uncool, but it's less likely to be taken.

If you come over to the UK be sure to let us know, I'm sure some BCF'ers would like to meet you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest something like a TS125/185ER or a DT125 etc, as these bikes have been built in several countries around the world since the 70's and still are too. Spares won't be hard to find or expensive, and the bikes are simple enough to fix by a back Street mechanic anywhere. But maybe an Enfield bullet is not a bad idea for a round the world either?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 05:46 - 15 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

These couple of crazy Argentinians decided n an epic 'Round-The-World' expedition, on a Pair of Yamaha YBR125's.

https://www.re-moto.com/index.php?lang=eng

A 125cc motorcycle is not such a daft idea for such a excursion, they have enough power to achieve around 60-70mph, which is as fast as most traffic goes in most countries; while they are economical and cheap and easy to maintain, and so offer lots and lots more miles for your money.. which if you are on a two or three year holiday, trying to do lots and lots of miles, rather than go a few miles to and from where you earn money, is probably quite helpful!

Small bikes can be a bit cramped, though, and so ot be as comfy for long hours in the saddle... and dirt styled ones or sports styled ones, are likely to be even less comfy for longer periods.

Which puts that Yamaha YBR right at the top of the list of contenders, and as its bee shown one-one has gone round the world on one, and they have had the durability to do it, and the support to keep them moving etc, IF this is really the sort of thing you really want to do... it would be difficult to argue strongly against one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

vlastimilfise...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 06:21 - 15 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Lol your English is better than a LOT of British members here.
Any European specification Yamaha is a good choice, they're reliable and parts are easy to come by.

I wouldn't worry about a broken WR125, I would worry about a stolen WR125. Thieves like that sort of bike. A YBR125 may look uncool, but it's less likely to be taken.

If you come over to the UK be sure to let us know, I'm sure some BCF'ers would like to meet you.

Hehe, thank you man!

Yeah Yamaha YBR is very popular for the travelling, but I don't like the style of the motorbike. The WR looks more "cool" for me. (maybe because I had one KTM motocross at my 15) But yes, I understand, it will less attractive for the guys which will be want to stole the motorbike.

Teflon-Mike wrote:
These couple of crazy Argentinians decided n an epic 'Round-The-World' expedition, on a Pair of Yamaha YBR125's.

https://www.re-moto.com/index.php?lang=eng

A 125cc motorcycle is not such a daft idea for such a excursion, they have enough power to achieve around 60-70mph, which is as fast as most traffic goes in most countries; while they are economical and cheap and easy to maintain, and so offer lots and lots more miles for your money.. which if you are on a two or three year holiday, trying to do lots and lots of miles, rather than go a few miles to and from where you earn money, is probably quite helpful!

Small bikes can be a bit cramped, though, and so ot be as comfy for long hours in the saddle... and dirt styled ones or sports styled ones, are likely to be even less comfy for longer periods.

Which puts that Yamaha YBR right at the top of the list of contenders, and as its bee shown one-one has gone round the world on one, and they have had the durability to do it, and the support to keep them moving etc, IF this is really the sort of thing you really want to do... it would be difficult to argue strongly against one.

Hehe, thanks man! I know these guys! I did some research about people which travel around world on a bike. Check this guy, he did the trip alone on the same bike as well. https://www.talesfromthesaddle.com/

Then he bought Honda XR125 and he wrote is it better bike, but support from the Honda is so cool like Yamaha. So I don't know what I need to do now. One way is also buy older (they not selling new XR125 at Czech Republic) XR125, at official Honda repair shop do the general GO of the power etc. and go around the world. But.. The support from the company can be really important thing on the way around a world.

And yes, I want to be years on the way around a world. I'm currently in Asia (by plane) but the adventure by motorbike sounds really like a challenge and cool thing for me. Smile

EDIT: I also like the style of Honda Varadero 125, but is like with the XR125, I need to buy older, repair everything and then go away on the trip. But how is it with the support of this bike in the world? Thanks!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:33 - 15 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varadero will be a good bike, get a fuel injected 2007 onwards one. They'll last a long time, just do regular oil changes.

vlastimilfise...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:05 - 15 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, another cool guy: https://thelifeofwen.com/

The Honda Varadero looks really interesting. The power is really strong from all reviews which I found. It looks also like a comfortable bike. But one problem is, they are no selling new bikes in my country.

I found one with facelift and 18K kilometres. But how much cost complete review and GO of the power for this bike?

I want be sure the bike is really good if I will go around the world. Smile

Thanks!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:08 - 15 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have happily taken mine across Europe.

Tubeless tyres so puncture repair kits, big enough, can cruise at 70mph, 18k isn't too much, mine had 77,000 miles so 123900km on the clock. Was still fine. Thumbs Up

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 15 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

There's a Spanish lady and her brit BF based in London, that rode to Vladivostok on a couple of trail 125 Yams (don't remember what model). She was quite petite and it was the right size for her to be able to pull it out of Mongolian ditches and the poor guy used one as he didn't want 2 different bikes to repair (ironically he managed to buy 2 slightly different used bikes where little was interchangeable).

But again I have to say that if the lady had been a little bigger/stronger then a slightly bigger bike would have been better for them. The extra torque of a 250cc can make life much easier.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:10 - 15 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlastimilfiser wrote:
. But one problem is, they are no selling new bikes in my country.

Your country is?

vlastimilfise...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:18 - 15 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
vlastimilfiser wrote:
. But one problem is, they are no selling new bikes in my country.

Your country is?

Czech Republic

I wrote to the official dealer and they wrote me that Varadero is not officially distributed now and isn't on the timeline for the future as well.

vlastimilfise...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:12 - 18 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, which motorbike I need to look for budget around 1.000 GBP for this crazy trip? How much kilometres is the maximum for engines of YBR125 or CBF125?

Thanks!

Pepi1967
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:38 - 18 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlastimilfiser wrote:
How much kilometres is the maximum for engines of YBR125 or CBF125?

Thanks!

That would depend on how well the engine has been maintained I would think.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:55 - 18 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness, an older, aircooled honda 125 single is probably the thing to go for. They are very common all over the world.

What is even more common worldwide is the Honda 110cc engine. It isn't as popular in Europe and the USA but it is used pretty much everywhere else.

Mind you. If I lived in the Czech republic, I'd have a look about and see if I could find an old 70's MZ125 and refurbish it. If I could find an old ISDT model, so much the better. For £1000 you could practically rebuild the whole thing. New crank seals, a fresh piston, upgrade the clutch and fit a powerdyno conversion.

In this day and age, getting spares isn't a major problem. Unless you're going somewhere WAY out of the way, you can have stuff shipped to you. It's not THAT often you need a major spare part.

I'd be going for something which will run well on poor quality fuel sold at the side of the road out of a plastic bottle and strained through a rag to get the dust out, that can cope with low quality engine oil and that is easy to get the wheels out of and repair a puncture (and takes a commonly available tyre size).

vlastimilfise...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:38 - 18 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepi1967 wrote:
vlastimilfiser wrote:
How much kilometres is the maximum for engines of YBR125 or CBF125?

Thanks!

That would depend on how well the engine has been maintained I would think.

Yeah I know, but I'm little bit scary to buy some old bike, because I don't understand of the problems (inside engine etc.) a lot. So, I'm thinking about to buy some new CBF125 or YBR125. Is more than 1K GBP, but still awesome reviews on this engines and motorbikes completely.

But the style of XL125 or Varadero 125 is really awesome, I like how the bikes looks, it's like "adult bike". All the bikes which I found (XL125 for example) has more than 20K on the tachometer. Varadero's has more than 30K usually.

I don't know how much cost the GO of engine for these bikes and if I need it necessary.

Pepi1967 wrote:
In fairness, an older, aircooled honda 125 single is probably the thing to go for. They are very common all over the world.

What is even more common worldwide is the Honda 110cc engine. It isn't as popular in Europe and the USA but it is used pretty much everywhere else.

Mind you. If I lived in the Czech republic, I'd have a look about and see if I could find an old 70's MZ125 and refurbish it. If I could find an old ISDT model, so much the better. For £1000 you could practically rebuild the whole thing. New crank seals, a fresh piston, upgrade the clutch and fit a powerdyno conversion.

In this day and age, getting spares isn't a major problem. Unless you're going somewhere WAY out of the way, you can have stuff shipped to you. It's not THAT often you need a major spare part.

I'd be going for something which will run well on poor quality fuel sold at the side of the road out of a plastic bottle and strained through a rag to get the dust out, that can cope with low quality engine oil and that is easy to get the wheels out of and repair a puncture (and takes a commonly available tyre size).

Thank you! Which one 125's you can recommend me?

I think, the MZ125 is not the right for me. I don't know how the elements works a lot. So, if there will be some issue I will find someone who can help me. But yes, Czech bikes from the older years are with really good quality. But I'm looking about some "mainstream". Honda looks good (I'm currently in Asia and I have been here for a long time, so I know here is no problem to find some Honda repair shop etc. everyone have Honda's here) from this side. Now is question if buy new CBF125/Yamaha YBR125 or take more beautiful and more travel bike like Varadero, older and go to Honda repair shop and do some review. But if the GO of engine is expensive I think my budget is not optimal for that. I don't know. Smile

Thanks guys!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:03 - 18 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I unashamedly like Hondas for reliability.

A varadero would be great for travelling. Especially if you're on road trips. That's the option for a bike that shouldn't break down anyway. It does however have a more complex engine so if it does have a problem, you'd be less likely to be able to fix it.

The other option would be a carbed XR125 which would cope well with offroad stuff, light enough to pick up and a pretty common, simple engine.

Shame you're not in Australia. You could have gone for a postie bike (CT110) which have a proven world touring heritage.

vlastimilfise...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:12 - 18 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I unashamedly like Hondas for reliability.

A varadero would be great for travelling. Especially if you're on road trips. That's the option for a bike that shouldn't break down anyway. It does however have a more complex engine so if it does have a problem, you'd be less likely to be able to fix it.

The other option would be a carbed XR125 which would cope well with offroad stuff, light enough to pick up and a pretty common, simple engine.

Shame you're not in Australia. You could have gone for a postie bike (CT110) which have a proven world touring heritage.

Thanks man! And what do you mean if I will buy Varadero/XR with ~20K/30K on tachometer? It's big risk to take this bike (after review in branded Honda shop) on the tour around world? Still thinking if buy new (not so beautiful bike like Varadero) CBF/YBR is better solution or not.

So, what do you mean?

BTW: The CT not looks good man! Very Happy But I believe, the bike is strong. Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:40 - 18 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be more concerned about condition than mileage. I personally would rather ride a varadero than a YBR across Europe or around the USA.

If I was going into poorer countries with the intention of riding off road, so say touring South America or round the far East, I would want something in a low state of tune and with a carburettor.

Bear in mind however, that I have chosen to ride an Indian made Royal Enfield (Designed in the 1950's, made on worn out 1950's machinery and with a similar power output to a 125) when I have the option of many other motorcycles. So my advice should be take with that in mind.

I'd ride an Enfield round the world and expect to make it there with only minimal mechanical issues. I'd be less confident of making it on a modern adventure bike.

vlastimilfise...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:25 - 18 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'd be more concerned about condition than mileage. I personally would rather ride a varadero than a YBR across Europe or around the USA.

If I was going into poorer countries with the intention of riding off road, so say touring South America or round the far East, I would want something in a low state of tune and with a carburettor.

Bear in mind however, that I have chosen to ride an Indian made Royal Enfield (Designed in the 1950's, made on worn out 1950's machinery and with a similar power output to a 125) when I have the option of many other motorcycles. So my advice should be take with that in mind.

I'd ride an Enfield round the world and expect to make it there with only minimal mechanical issues. I'd be less confident of making it on a modern adventure bike.

Thanks, I absolutely understand! And I wish you lot of safe and happy kilometres with your "older lady". Smile

BTW: Derbi Terra 125 from 2013 for 1.300 GBP and 10K kilometres on the tachometer looks really amazing. The design is the best in 125ccm category I think. But, is safe to travel with Derbi? Smile

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:28 - 18 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

Don't buy that.

Buy a used fuel injected Varadero or as suggested, a carbed XR125.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 18 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) You are 21 and in the Cech Rep. I think CZ has the same motorbike rules as the UK (being an EEC country).
Do you have a full motorcycle license for a 125cc bike or are you still on 'learner' plates?
If you still use learner plates then you will have problems in some countries that require a full license.
They won't let you into their country with a motorbike but without the correct license and insurance (although some insist you buy their insurance as well).

2) What countries do you intend to travel through/to?

3) You really need to learn about engines. If you plan to travel long distances then you will probably have real problems with big expense if you know nothing about them.

4) if you have (or can get) a full A2 license then a 250cc will be much easier to use for long distances.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 70 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2