Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2017 - Spill counter.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: 2017 - Spill counter. Reply with quote

No, not me, not yet.

I stole Paddy's rules, thought I'd put this up since nobody else has and someone might try and beat wr6133's early start from last year.

Place spills here.

Rules:
1. Give it a *consecutive* number;
2. Brief details;
3. Open your own thread to discuss, display artistic talents via Paint.

So if you don't put it here, Shocked it never happened Shocked - no matter how many posts/views you get on your own thread about it. Nobody really cares enough to bother to collect your stats from other threads.

4. If you die, don't put it here. Open your own post-mortality thread for the relative sympathy. Gory pics welcome but must include NSFW tag.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, I win!! Laughing

Number 1: 10th January 2017

So, last week as I was merrily making my way home on a clear and dry afternoon, on roads I know very well...

Exiting the roundabout from the A5 to head towards Leighton Buzzard, I was suddenly aware that the car heading up to the traffic lights to my left had no intention of stopping.

Grabbed as much front brake as I could (ABS works a treat...) scrubbed off most of the speed but hit the rear wheel of the mini 4x4 Rav4 type piece of shit that was coming across me.

Fortunately, the fact that she was still moving at the time of impact meant there was nothing in the way for me to hit as I was fired off the front of the bike.

She was very apologetic, and explained her actions by telling me that "the light had only just turned red".

Fucking genius!

Damage to me - Sore wrist.

Damage to the bike - Front wheel is pointing at a comedy "hard right" angle when the bars a straight, and the front lamp is busted All other plastics and metals are perfect thanks to a full set of R and G bungs.

Thankfully, I have independant witnesses to back up my story, so I'm hoping the claim should be fairly cut and dry.

I'll find out this week if it's just twisted forks, or a twisted frame.

I really hope it's the former. 200 miles is not enough for the life of an RSV4!!

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumsticks.

Glad you're ok, but ffs these drivers need stringing up...

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:

I really hope it's the former. 200 miles is not enough for the life of an RSV4!!

Shocked Shocked

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:34 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, right? Probably twisted forks though.

Monkeypony wrote:
[I] hit the rear wheel of the mini 4x4 Rav4 type piece of shit that was coming across me.

<ominous foreshadowing music plays>

I really, really hope those witnesses are absolutely adamant and consistent about what they saw.

No Police involvement?

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I know, right? Probably twisted forks though.

Monkeypony wrote:
[I] hit the rear wheel of the mini 4x4 Rav4 type piece of shit that was coming across me.

<ominous foreshadowing music plays>

I really, really hope those witnesses are absolutely adamant and consistent about what they saw.

No Police involvement?

Probably should have phoned the plod, but was only really thinking about getting the bike collected, and getting x rays!

The car that was behind her approaching the lights said she went through on full red. As long as he bothers to complete the paperwork (please God let him bother to complete the paperwork!) then I should be golden, but then, you never really know do you.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:38 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity, it might be easier if you had a single police record. I would get in touch with the witness, thank them for their help at the time, apologise for the continuing bother to them, and ask pretty please could they complete the form.

Mentioning that she's disputing going through a red (implying that your witness is a liar) might rile them up a bit. Whistle

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for that as it turned out. Witness statement received supporting my version of event. One less thing to worry about!

On the downside, I've just received confirmation that the bike is a total loss.

Arse. Evil or Very Mad

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get to strip all your aftermarket bits off or were they declared and as such covered in the payout?

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Declared and covered, not that it really matters as it will be the 3rd party insurers who end up settling the claim, so all the extras would be covered either way.

Hopefully, I'll be able to buy the salvage for a sensible price too.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:19 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. Well, good news for Aprilia if you buy another, or the bits to fix it.

100% liability admitted by her insurers?

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 20 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

100% liability admitted by her insurers?

Oh good lord no!

Baby steps. I have a feeling good this will be long, arduous and annoying, but we'll get there in the end. Hopefully!

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 22 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had half a spill yesterday.

Cold and damp day, bar snow or ice it's one of those 'longest possible stopping distance required' environments where the constant damp leaves you feeling like your tyres are barely at 50% gripping power.

Old woman pulls out of this junction on the right, forcing me to mount the fortunately dropped curb and collide with something - the wall or the parked cars on the left (memory is all a blur...) - but not catastrophically as the bike managed to bounce off and I actually stayed on the thing. Stalled it though.

Felt like an eternity fumbling around trying to get back into neutral so I could restart the thing. Old lady just sits there in her car the whole time. Eventually get the bike started again, ride alongside her window which she winds down only to get a proper and clearly unexpected earful. The shock on her face was priceless. Made me feel guilty and she probably cried afterwards, but sod it, my life was on the line there.

Still in shock and rage, I and the bike were unharmed so I scooted off swiftly after telling her off. She didn't get a word in so I probably came across as a big mean old motorbike thug. Narrowly avoiding a T-bone collision does that to a guy.

Later while stopped at traffic lights and having calmed down a bit, I leaned over to check the fairings. Front left is cracked from whatever I hit Thumbs Down . Left leg felt like it took a whack as well but no lasting pain or visible damage.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:27 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Old woman pulls out of this junction on the right, forcing me to mount the fortunately dropped curb and collide with something - the wall or the parked cars on the left (memory is all a blur...) - but not catastrophically as the bike managed to bounce off and I actually stayed on the thing. Stalled it though.

You're meant to hit the car and demolish the wall to unlock the Bodyguard achievement Folded arms

BumpingUglys
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:44 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess the camper was blocking her view Surprised

Hard luck though. Sometimes it's hard to get your head in gear in the heat of the moment, when all you wanna do is get gone and carry on regardless.

One thing I've learnt though is bike damage doesn't tend to be negligible or cheap, and self damage doesn't tend to be as temporary as you think.

Hope all gets sorted Thumbs Up

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:52 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Percy if you are declaring a spill then number the mother fucker. Mother fucker.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:30 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
Percy if you are declaring a spill then number the mother fucker. Mother fucker.

https://img.cinemablend.com/cb/0/b/a/a/c/f/0baacf08003ab795356460f39ceb5c0535babbc15846c57942a6c4215fa2ac01.jpg

Question

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:

One and a motherfuckin' half.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Sorry.

1.5 Thinking because I didn't come off but it was definitely a crash

Or just 2 because it's easier. It can be 2.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:22 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Were you riding a spherical bike in a vacuum?

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:25 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
Yay, I win!! Laughing

Number 1: 10th January 2017

Actually.

#1 is this tit who refuses to post in the spill counter, even though i have reminded him twice.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=317503

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 23 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

Were you riding a spherical bike in a vacuum?

Yep, just imagine me riding a space hopper, colliding with an old woman also on a space hopper, in outer space, and you'll have a near perfect model of the whole thing.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:07 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.3 (or 4,depending on what is going on here....)

On my way to work this morning, and going about 20 miles per hour (40 zone but quite busy).
Van in front had braked. I put the back break on, and fuck all happens. I keep going but the back wheel is a bit wobbly. I release and re-break, but still nothing. I finally stop, after going into the back of the aforementioned van.

I went down, banged my head and hurt my leg when the bike went down. Lot of plastic damage, brake lever bent. The front wheel is now out of alignment (when straight, the handlebars look like I am turning right). I was 10 mins away from work, so here I am.

Now my stomach hurts, just below the rib cage, so I'm guessing that the handlebars hit me at some point.

No damage to the van, but details took anyway. Old fella, really nice and worried about me. Two witnesses confirmed what I thought, that it wasn't either parties fault, I wasn't going too fast and my bike just skidded.

So.... what do I do now? The bike is gonna need some repairs, and I am quite skint at the minute - do I go down the insurance route to get my bike fixed? I'm not gonna claim against anyone else because it wasn't anyones fault.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 13:18 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was your fault, too fast not/not enough braking distance for the conditions. Why didn't you use the front brake?

Anyway, loosen the yokes, set the wheel straight, ride bike, £0. Do not go through insurance.

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:24 - 30 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Joe says it's always somebodies fault. There's a reason they're no longer referred to as RTAs.

Doesn't sound like it'll be worth the excess and increased premiums as long as you don't mind it not looking massively pretty. Throw a new brake lever on and hope the forks have just twisted in the yoke and not bent.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 49 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15