|
|
| Author |
Message |
| sickpup |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sickpup Old Timer

Joined: 21 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:53 - 04 Jul 2017 Post subject: A cautionary tale of dealers |
 |
|
Just thought I would relate a quick story of a dealer I have just spoken to this morning. I'm not going to name them as any one buying a bike should ask the same questions I did before even bothering to go and have a look.
I need another Deauville as a spare bike. Mine is now 16 years old and recently broke down, easily repaired but a 5 day wait for parts to turn up which if I had been at work would have been inconvenient.
I saw a bike on ebay, looked decent in the pictures but they can lie a thousand words so called the dealer this morning to discuss.
A helpful chap answered and I said I would be travelling a round trip of 400 miles to look at it so would prefer any bad news before I set off.
The bike had a mileage discrepancy of 10,000 miles, you can now check the previous MOTs online here which is a good starting point. As the bike wasn't in the show room the clocks couldn't be checked to see if it was a mistake or a crashed repaired bike.
There was no MOT on the bike. Considering the show room has its own MOT station this was a big red flag. For the £10 trade cost of an MOT there is no reason not to do one unless the bike has a problem.
Although the bike was being sold at a set price there was no warranty of any kind on it. As this is a legal obligation unless sold as unroadworthy, spares or repair then it needs one. As it was being sold as roadworthy in need of an MOT it required a warranty. In an attempt to get around this the dealer stated it was being sold through their auction company but it was still a set price and not an auction.
The dealer justified what they were doing by saying that if the bike had an MOT it would be sold for £750-£1000 more which is an odd thing to say when you have an MOT station and have just said the bike will pass fine. As it is the price was only £500-£750 off a good condition bike and the dealer had already stated that there was wide spread corrosion to the wheels and frame.
Always remember, a bike without an MOT is a lump of scrap metal so worth whatever you will pay for it. It is not a bike it is a collection of parts.
So before going to a dealer after seeing an ad on ebay check the present and previous MOT's and print them off. Ask about the warranty offered, do a check with someone like HPI on the vehicle and only then call them. There are so many 2nd hand bikes to choose from that you shouldn't get hooked on just one. Always be prepared to walk away before you have even looked at it. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chickenstrip |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chickenstrip Super Spammer

Joined: 06 Dec 2013 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 15:23 - 04 Jul 2017 Post subject: |
 |
|
Otoh, my current Fazer was advertised by the dealer as immaculate (and who trusts that word in anybody's ad?), and although I only had to travel a bit over 30 miles to view it, I had to explain to the dealer that I had just recently broken my back, so didn't want to do any unnecessary miles, as it was still very uncomfortable. They assured me it was as advertised, and so I found it. Bit dearer than I would have liked to have paid, which was another reason I almost didn't bother, but it turned out to be worth it, for me anyway.
But yes, I grilled them over the phone about it before even going to look, and assumed nothing until I saw it with my own eyes.
I have bought nearly all my bikes from dealers through 30-odd years, and never once had a problem. Nearest I came was when I went to Leicester by train (from Oxfordshire) to view two bikes (same model). The one I chose, I found a fork seal leak on, and asked if they could replace that seal in time for me to ride the bike home that day. They said yes, and I went off for a wander and some lunch while they prepped the bike. Got back to find it had had a faulty damper rod, which they had also replaced by stealing one from the other bike in their showroom. I arrived back there in time to see three of them putting the finishing touches to get it ready, which they did with no complaints, even though it took them past closing time.
So not all encounters with dealers are horror stories. Maybe I'm saying this because I've worked at several. Seen good and bad, but mostly, in fairness, good. ____________________ Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sickpup |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sickpup Old Timer

Joined: 21 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chickenstrip |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chickenstrip Super Spammer

Joined: 06 Dec 2013 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 15:41 - 04 Jul 2017 Post subject: |
 |
|
| sickpup wrote: | | chickenstrip wrote: | So not all encounters with dealers are horror stories. Maybe I'm saying this because I've worked at several. Seen good and bad, but mostly, in fairness, good. |
I've also worked at Dealers and can't see where I said don't trust any Dealers. I've said ask some questions, be careful with answers and don't get hooked on particular bike, there are lots out there. |
I would say that applies to any expensive purchase - common sense. ____________________ Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| arry |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 arry Super Spammer
Joined: 03 Jan 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| M.C |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 M.C Super Spammer
Joined: 29 Sep 2015 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sickpup |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sickpup Old Timer

Joined: 21 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Copycat73 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Copycat73 World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jan 2013 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stevo as b4 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stevo as b4 World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 Jul 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| c_dug |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 c_dug Super Spammer

Joined: 04 Sep 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Feasty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Feasty World Chat Champion
Joined: 01 Nov 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 09:06 - 05 Jul 2017 Post subject: |
 |
|
Fair few years ago now I was looking to buy a newer 125 that didn't constantly break down. I came across a small dealership that had 2 identical Honda XR125's, only slight difference was the mileage - one had about 5000 miles and the other 7000 miles.
I decided to pay the extra couple of hundred for the lower mileage bike, however when I turned up to pick it up I happened to check the service log and noticed the mileage didn't match the speedo.
Turns out the speedo must have been replaced at some point, the dealership acted surprised and said they hadn't noticed - I'm not sure I really believed them but I ended up buying the other bike so the service schedule matched the bike and made an easier sell on.
Loved that bike, it was slow but so dependable.  ____________________ Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed). |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Commuter_Tim |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Commuter_Tim World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 May 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 9 years, 93 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|