Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBR929RR bypassing the charging loom

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

vitus detritus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:10 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: CBR929RR bypassing the charging loom Reply with quote

Hi
My Stator/rectumfryer are toast. I'm sorting parts but there was a thread here https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=278089 where The Tot said 'Bypassed the internal charging loom, so my battery is effectively connected to the reg rec and alternator directly'.

Does anyone (the Tot?) know how to go about doing this ?

Thanks -

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:36 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, to run on a total loss?

I'd have thought that would simply be a case of unplugging the reg/rec on most bikes. Then making sure you have enough charge to get where you're going. I'd suggest not using the lights or starter motor if you're going to do that.

However can you switch the headlights off on a 929? Battery wont last long if you can't. Maybe disconnect the lighting fuse too?

EDIT: Maybe I misunderstood your question.

I suspect he means he made a new sub-loom using new wire for the connections between the stator the reg/rec and the battery on the assumption he had a short somewhere in the main loom.

If it's like every other honda. Three yellow wires go from the stator to the reg/rec. Reds to the battery positive. Greens to earth. if there are more than one red or green, it is a red herring to confuse you and make you think its a more special part than it is, they all go to the same place.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post #4 on a Triumphrat.net thread. There's shed-loads more info there too.

The idea is to use slightly thicker wire than stock (because manufacturers are cheapskates) and connect the two-pin +/- output of the reg/rec (image low down in post #1) via the shortest route to the battery terminals instead of via the loom. It also eliminates one connector, which is a good thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

vitus detritus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:45 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - no - I think the idea is that the Stator/reg/rec/battery are connected directly without resorting to the wiring loom - which means that the entire system is not rependent on the existing wiring loom to work. The idea being that even if you develop a loom fault (an earth issue - Hondas have been known to do this) you don't fry regulators/stators ad nausiam.

My real question is, how to you tap the wiring loom onto that so that everything still works ?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:50 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinkers has already told you. 3 yellows between stator and reg/rec, red on battery positive, black to battery negative.

vitus detritus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:52 - 28 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Kawasaki Jimbo - some really good info on there. I'd still like to hear from someone with a 929 who has done the mod -

Nobby - I think Stinkers edited his reply when I was writing mine - if you get me -

Stinkers - thanks -

EDIT
Stinkwheel - I'm pretty thick but I've had a good long look at all the posts on the subject, here and elsewhere - and I have the following question;

If I run the output of the +ve and -ve wires from the stator directly to the battery - but leave the connection from the loom to the stator disconnected, but leave the battery wires connected, will that work ?

In short, does the rest of the bike's electronics get the juice from the battery teminals directly or the connector that goes to the +ve and -ve connections to the regulator ? I'm sure this is a stupid question but I have to ask -

vitus detritus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:11 - 29 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found what I needed to know :
https://www.triumphrat.net/maintenance-and-workshop-talk/68040-weak-charging-system-the-solution.html

So you basically hard wire the reg/rec output to the battery but tacked on (or soldered on Wink to the original wiring with a 30 amp fuse for the +ve.

Big thanks to Kawasaki Jimbo !
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 351 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1