|
|
| Author |
Message |
| RooRoo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RooRoo Anal Intruder

Joined: 04 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:28 - 05 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Not a problem. You get a really cool shower of sparks off the centrestand when you ground it out in the dark. Don't do it too much though or you won't be able to park it  ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RooRoo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RooRoo Anal Intruder

Joined: 04 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Andy99 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Andy99 Spanner Monkey

Joined: 16 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:42 - 05 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Have a little look round the bike until you find something with a scuff.If it's the centrestand,which is most likely check the spring,if it's too loose the stand might be hanging lower than it should causing early touchdown.I had a similar problem with an RD350,i just removed the centrestand  ____________________ Nothing gets the point across quite like a raised middle digit.
Just call me General Crazypaws. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:53 - 05 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RooRoo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RooRoo Anal Intruder

Joined: 04 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stryker |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stryker Brolly Dolly

Joined: 30 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheShaggyDA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheShaggyDA Repost Police

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RealNinja |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RealNinja World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Mar 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jay12329 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jay12329 Dr. Evil

Joined: 02 May 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| AcIdBuRnZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 AcIdBuRnZ World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Jul 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:30 - 05 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I feel safer taking a corner at speed when hanging off the bike as it lets me know how much the bike is leaning and how much more it can go. Plus, with your weight off the bike it's easier to tip it in further, should you need to. I get scared of running wide when just leaning the bike without moving my body weight. It's hard to explain.
So basically as G said  ____________________ Past: Honda NSR125R >> Kawasaki ER-5a2 >> Kawasaki ZZR-600e1 >> Suzuki GSXR-750Y >> Honda VTR 1000 Firestorm
"Chickity China the Chinese Chicken..." |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stryker |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stryker Brolly Dolly

Joined: 30 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| cliff |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 cliff Doctor Sicknote

Joined: 11 Feb 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:10 - 06 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
If I can do it on a Honda H100 (almost exactly the same as cg), you can do it! As G said, hang off as much as you can and take a nice line! ____________________ Sweet reggae music. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BLOFLY 636 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BLOFLY 636 Brolly Dolly

Joined: 18 Aug 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 03:32 - 07 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I recently seen my AUGUST ISSUE copy of "Performance Bikes" and noticed an article titled "From Novice To Kneedown In A Day" I read through it and seen that the 6 main points to getting your Knee Down is....... "RELAX"...... Too tense and you'll grip the controls too tightly and feel awkward. Breathe and take your time......."DON'T HANG OFF TOO FAR"......Sticking both arse cheeks off the seat points your knee back at the bike and lack of weight on the bike makes it handle like a space hopper......."DROP YOUR INSIDE SHOULDER".......Sit quite well back in the seat, as it helps you look through the corner as far as you can and your knee naturally sticks out......"BUILD UP SPEED GENTLY"......If you go in too fast, resist the temptation to grab the front brake mid-corner, if you've got enough grip to brake, then you can make the turn......."PRETEND YOUR ROSSI!".......Mimic him and remember, you are a GP god!......."NEVER LOOK AT YOUR KNEE!!!"........NEVER EVER NO! ...However when I try to get my knee down by following everybodies advice from here and by what I just read in that magazine by sitting back in the seat I feel too high up and like I have far far more distance between my knee and the ground rather than when I just sit closer to the tank. I feel I can reach the ground a little easier with my knee not that I have scraped it with my slider yet but I just FEEL closer by sitting near the tank I think my main problem is I am not going fast enough to get my knee down because the bars feel like they want to turn in to the turn but when I see most pictures of people getting their knee down I notice the bars are quite straight or counter steering to the turn which indicates they are travelling at a speed greater than mine  ____________________ Those bloody footpegs......they ought to do away with em! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 09:32 - 07 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
| BLOFLY 636 wrote: | DON'T HANG OFF TOO FAR"......Sticking both arse cheeks off the seat points your knee back at the bike and lack of weight on the bike makes it handle like a space hopper.......
"PRETEND YOUR ROSSI!".......Mimic him and remember, you are a GP god!....... |
Watch the GP riders, they do often get their whole arse off the seat.
It does depend how flexible you are, as I am fairly flexible, though not quite up to do the splits, I can hang off a fair bit and keep my knee still pointing out.
However most people don't hang off enough in the first place. Do try and push your knee towards the ground almost.
| Quote: | you can lean the bikemore, the bike can be leant as far as it will go which for the majority of bikes is limited by the foot pegs going down so until then it can be leant over further. |
I have crashed once before the peg is down on a roundabout and have had the rear start to slide many times without the peg being down. It does depend on the bike, tyres, rider and suspension, ie alex could get the pegs on the rs down before, add in a more knackered rear tyre and stiffer suspension and it didn't go so well.
The thing to look out for is the rear starting to slip. Providing you get progressivley faster, this will initially be the bike suddenly turning in a lot quicker than it feels it should have. The front end is suddenly pointing towards the inside of the curve. This is the point that you should know not to push it anymore. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Orion |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Orion Derestricted Danger
Joined: 28 Sep 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:35 - 07 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:54 - 07 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
When I could be bothered with stuff like worrying about if I could get my knee down, we tried an exercise. I got two mates to support my GPZ500 between them whilst I sat on it, we tipped it over 'till the hero-blob touched down then I tried to hang off and touch the road with my knee.....conclusion: not possible by reason of long shins. It was probably possible on my powervalve but that had an insane amount of ground clearance anyway, more than you would ever use on the road and be confident of completing your journey outside of an ambulance.
Noone I know bothers trying to do it, I have been on some pretty high speed runs with bike clubs and I have never seen anyone putting their knee down on the road, come to think of it, I don't think I know anyone with kneesliders on their leathers.
The concept is sound in that you shift your weight to go round corners, I tend to hang an arse cheek off (or sometimes even rest my thigh accross the saddle) but I don't stick my leg out. Knee down is more so you can feel how far over you are leaning the bike as I understand it, GP racers will lean on their knee, shifting weight off the bike in a corner to stop it sliding but I refuse to believe anyone rides like that on the road...it would just take one tiny bit of debris to have you off if you were pushing the tyres that hard.
I can feel how far over I am with my toes, toe touches down=just about far enough since I already have as much weight hanging off the bike as i am comfortable with (when you are leaning your outside forearm against the tank to steady the bars, you are hanging off enough in my book). Before I get comments on being 'duck footed' you need to tell that to my mate Jim Snaith who finished 16th in the Manx classic this year on a CB250K3 lapping at around 90mph, he rides like that all the time.
But of course, now I ride a supermoto so it is feet and sticky-out elbows all the way  ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| roozor |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 roozor Scooby Slapper

Joined: 04 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:54 - 07 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
bloody hell, respect for evening thinking of a knee down on a cg  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 22 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|